PDA

View Full Version : Who to get in Illinois for a super accurate rebarrel job?

tazman
09-17-2016, 12:13 AM
I live in west central Illinois 50 miles south of Rock Island. I have a couple of centerfire rifles I am thinking of having re-barreled for long range shooting. One for target and one for varmints.
Is there a good rifle gunsmith anywhere within 150 miles who has some experience with this kind of setup?

B R Shooter
09-17-2016, 04:59 AM
Lee Gardner is in Matoon I believe and can chamber a benchrest quality barrel for you. I think his business is Lee Gardner Precision. Let me add that he has a quick turnaround too.

Texas by God
10-30-2016, 02:47 PM
I T &D advertises in SGN. I think they are in Illinois. I'm just throwing that out there.

tazman
10-30-2016, 06:41 PM
I found a man who is local(65Miles) who is a gunsmith. He used to work as an an armorer for the Army rifle team. He has done several of this type re-barreling job. He even prefers to work on the Remington 700 action which is what I am using.
I left my rifle and a Bartlein barrel with him early last week. He said it would be finished in 3 weeks or less. It will be interesting to see how this works out.
When I get it back, I will post some pictures and groups.

tazman
11-02-2016, 12:21 AM
I got my rifle re-barrelled and got all the parts together. The gunsmith(Jim Knapp) got my rifle back to me in 1 week to the day from when I dropped off the rifle and barrel blank.
I posted a review in another forum on this site. The review can be found here. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?319533-Sorta-new-30-06

Jim seems to have done a good job with it. Things look very promising.