PDA

View Full Version : Range trip with my grand-daughter

tazman
09-16-2016, 08:03 PM
I took my 13 year old grand-daughter to the range for her first shooting experience today.
She had been showing some interest in shooting but hadn't gotten serious about it until recently. We made an appointment today because she had the afternoon off from school.
This was her very first experience with a firearm.
After spending some time showing her how to safely handle, load, and aim the guns she was going to be using, we got started.
I started her out with the same 22 rim fire rifle both I and her mother learned on. She did much better than I was expecting.
Then we got out the Ruger Mark II competition. She had a bit more trouble with it but after she got used to handling the short gun, she did well with it also.
Then I handed her the Smith & Wesson target masterpiece. She was shooting full power factory loads with it(I forgot to bring the target loads and had to buy some). After a few warm up shots to get used to the gun, I put a silhouette in front of her a 7 yards. These are pictures of the resulting targets from all 3 guns.
I have decided that I don't want her shooting at me with anything. She takes after her mother in this regard.
She was shooting the 38 well enough to have qualified for a concealed carry permit in this state. The range owner tried to get her to sign up for the leagues he is running.
Needless to say she was very happy with her shooting. I am hoping we have another generation of shooters coming along here.

BNE
09-16-2016, 08:09 PM
That sir, was a good days work.

Good job.

KMac
09-16-2016, 08:18 PM
It does not get any better than that. That is some really fine shooting she did. You must be busting at the seams with pride. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WebMonkey
09-16-2016, 08:34 PM
Looks like a great outing.

Thumbcocker
09-16-2016, 09:12 PM
Obviously good coaching and great raw material. Girls are SO much easier to work with than boys. Great job.

Bzcraig
09-16-2016, 11:30 PM
That IS a great day!!

fivegunner
09-17-2016, 05:24 AM
You are a great Grandpa, nice post thank you.:coffeecom

kenyerian
09-17-2016, 06:45 AM
Good Job! This is what life is all about. Special times with family and friends. I'm looking forward to the day that I can teach my great grand-daughter Ashlynn all about firearms safety.

OS OK
09-17-2016, 08:15 AM
Nice work there Taz...You just made memories there with her that'll remain with her looong after you are gone.

She looks like a 'sweetie pie', at this age you better buy her a gun or a horse or both to occupy her attention and get yourself a big stick...those 'pesky little boys' are going to be swarming like gnats around that little cutie!

tazman
09-17-2016, 08:34 PM
It does not get any better than that. That is some really fine shooting she did. You must be busting at the seams with pride. Congrats!

Yes, I am. And I didn't fire a single shot all day.

flint45
09-20-2016, 07:53 PM
I love takin my grandaughters to the range they always have a great time.

Half Dog
09-20-2016, 08:03 PM
She is precious. That brings back pleasant memories of taking my daughter shooting for her first time.

Thanks for sharing .

leeggen
09-20-2016, 08:37 PM
I would keep those targets around and show her boy freinds when they come. She can handle the guns really good for just starting. I am sure she will want Grandpa to go shooting again soon.
CD

tazman
09-20-2016, 11:11 PM
She has the targets with her for her memorabilia. She can scare off the boys with them if she wishes. I have the pictures and the memories which are more important to me.

modified5
09-21-2016, 12:57 AM
That is a great day indeed! Well done, both of you.

Blackwater
09-21-2016, 02:12 AM
Well, Taz, all I can say is that now, I've got TWO generations out-shooting me! And nobody could be prouder, either. Welcome to the club, brother! Not much in life is any sweeter or more assuring! Congratulations on a job well done, and OS OK gives great advice! She IS a real cutie pie!

Green Frog
09-22-2016, 07:46 PM
As a lifelong bachelor I don't have and won't have any direct offspring, so I got to "spoil" my nieces, both of whom are now grown and have children of their own. Now I'll get to help teach two grand nephews and two grand nieces (so far) how to shoot. Since both nieces married enthusiastic shooters my help will be welcome if not as necessary! Life is good! [smilie=1:

Froggie