PDA

View Full Version : it's like Christmas, with guns

nagantguy
09-16-2016, 03:09 PM

September 15th is always one of my favorite days! it's the opening of small game hunting in MI, spent yesterday morning gin one of my favorite spots, and limited out, 9 shots for.five squirrels, not my best day but not my worst, I limit myself to.head shots. the rifle is a rugerb10/22 that I bought used 12 years ago, added er shaw barrel, improved the trigger group, and a Boyd's stock I got as a foctory second and finished up to my specs and tastes, the glass is a BSA sweet 22, I feel it is a very good.scope.for the money, been very happy with it!

Wolfer
09-16-2016, 05:50 PM
Yes sir! I love squirel hunting with a 22

shoot-n-lead
09-16-2016, 06:08 PM
9 shots for 5 squirrels...good thing you did all of that work to it.

nagantguy
09-16-2016, 07:20 PM
I know cause no one ever misses a squirrels head high up in mature river bottom oaks with full leaves still on. why it's like shooting fish in a barrel, whit the way they hold still and all.

DerekP Houston
09-16-2016, 07:55 PM
I know cause no one ever misses a squirrels head high up in mature river bottom oaks with full leaves still on. why it's like shooting fish in a barrel, whit the way they hold still and all.

lmao, a nice haul none the less :).

BNE
09-16-2016, 08:35 PM
Nice haul. Squirrel heads are pretty small, but sometimes they will sit stil for 1 or maybe even 2 seconds!

Thumbcocker
09-16-2016, 08:57 PM
Remnar Sody would be proud. Hope you wore your lucky shirt.

nagantguy
09-16-2016, 09:31 PM
great grandpa Sody once shot 50 bushy tails outta one tree with only two shots, both barrels of his Greener 8 gauge, enough squirrel meet to feed the whole state of Wisconsin, but dey gotta suply der own gravey.

cattleskinner
09-16-2016, 10:09 PM
As long as it does not come out of the two holer.....

Texas by God
09-16-2016, 10:27 PM
That is a mess of dumpling makings! Yummy. Best, Thomas.

runfiverun
09-17-2016, 11:25 AM
we ain't supposed to shoot the squirrels here.
that's probably why I can walk up to about 2 feet away from them and talk to them gently.

I wanted to say right before I bashed them on the head with a tennis racket.
but I tried squirrel once after doing just that and i'll stick to talking to them.

white eagle
09-17-2016, 11:54 AM
Bang,Bang [smilie=w:

Hardcast416taylor
09-17-2016, 12:08 PM
Squirrel meat is similar to possum meat, you either like it or hate it. Myself, I grew up on a farm with a decent sized wood lot where I could get a squirrel or so every time I went thru the patch. The Stevens Favorite I used did pretty well for itself with no optics and just a single shot.Robert

OnHoPr
09-17-2016, 12:08 PM
we ain't supposed to shoot the squirrels here.
that's probably why I can walk up to about 2 feet away from them and talk to them gently.

I wanted to say right before I bashed them on the head with a tennis racket.
but I tried squirrel once after doing just that and i'll stick to talking to them.

You're missing some good vittles there mister. Them critters eatin on acorns, maple seed, corn, and hickory to mention a few get to be pretty tasty. Especially for me the young greys and black phase backs. You must have acquired a taste for sage brush and pine flavored mule deer and antelope. It might be something like eating a teal vs a bluebill. I didn't know they played tennis in Ideeeehooo.

Smoke4320
09-17-2016, 01:04 PM
AHH squirrelenpfeffer Brings back memories

Texas by God
09-17-2016, 05:02 PM
When it cools down at dusk I'm taking the Mule to the pecan bottom. With my favorite .22. See what y'all done?

runfiverun
09-18-2016, 11:07 AM
it must have something to do with what they eat.
all they get here is pine cones.

now as far as the tennis racket goes, I'm not aware of a tennis court within 100+ miles of here.
It however was in the back of the truck [and is of vintage age] so it got put to use :lol:
i'll skip the details but will say it's a good thing I was younger than I am now and I'm glad the dog was there.

dk17hmr
09-19-2016, 12:10 PM
The squirrels around here, probably the same by Lamar, are pine squirrels.....in Michigan we called them red squirrels. We have very few black/grays or fox squirrels. Completely different table fair.

09-19-2016, 02:32 PM
Happen to have a few squirrels around here. Hope my shootin' is as good as nagantguy's.

woody1
09-19-2016, 02:36 PM
So, tell me, y'all. Just how do you cook a squirrel so it's fit to eat? Let's just say I've got me 2 gray squirrels, the ones with the big bushy tails that we have in Oregon. How do I fix 'em?

Blackwater
09-20-2016, 12:55 PM
You're right about their diets, Run. Here in SE Ga., they almost always taste great, and if you smell them after cleaning them good, you'll have a good idea what they'll taste like. But pine cones make for awfully bitter taste in them. It's rare here that they have to resort to those for very long, though, and consequently, their taste is awfully good. In my back yard, I've seen them eating the red buds in winter on sweetgum trees. Those must be sweet, because the meat sure is! Acorns (the sweet green ones from white oaks and live oaks) aren't nearly as prevalent as they once were way back when, but there's still a good many, and they're the prime feed for them. Find a grove of white oaks or live oaks, and you'll always find a good mess of squirrels.

Al animals' taste is dependent on what they've been eating. It's why commercially raised cattle are fed like they are. Same with chickens, or pigs, or whatever else we eat. I guess I'm a "liberal" when it comes to food, because I like it ALL! EXCEPT of course, meat that's been tainted by the wrong foods. If you ever get a chance to try some squirrel that have been acorn fed, I'm betting you'll wind up really liking it. My Mom was always a great cook, and could make corn shucks and sand into a fine meal, but even she couldn't overcome bad meat.

fiberoptik
09-20-2016, 06:44 PM
Squirrel ain't much different than deer. You prep 'em right, they taste good. You don't, they won't. Get all the hair off, soak in salt water, cook according to age. Course city rats fed garbage & dog food aren't exactly a delicacy. Diet does matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nagantguy
09-20-2016, 07:17 PM
here in MI squirrels and various other critters of the eating type have go an lots of feed options, crops, bird seed, and acorns this year as big as pumpkins, red oak ones just slightly smaller, hickory nuts walnuts, apples,a squirrel can and will be tough cause they run and climb and jump.all day everyday from dawn till dusk, I soak them over night in a sweet red wine than coat them in pink.salt, pepper little garlic and throw them on a very hot grill and brush my home made madness sauce on them, my secret recipe bbq, it's a secert so I'd never tell it's very similar to a Carolina type bbq that we make with with my home grown and hand dried chilli pepper flakes, honey and just a touch of ginger. the last ingredient I'll tell you guys cause you can't fake or steal it, it's love and family pride, when I hunt cook.and garden all my mothers and fathers people are with me, old memories and stories come back to me, I think of my grandmothers soft voice and never ending patience teaching me to plant care and harvest and to pray when in the garden cause you are already on your knees caring for HIS creations, I think of my great grandpa and father teaching me to sit still and shoot straight, I think of my mothers kitchen always full.of food and love and stories, I see my own daughter growing up right with a kind heart, a dead aim, and a quick wit, I think of times we've had little and times there has been a great harvest, I think of all the people waiting for me to take my place at God's supper table, I think of my daughters children not yet born learning g from her how to work the earth, and a hammer and a gun and a bible.

nagantguy
09-21-2016, 07:20 PM
guess Noone wants to steal my secret recipe.