PDA

View Full Version : Pic of Magma H&G 45-200gr SWC BB HP Grooveless

AbitNutz
09-16-2016, 01:57 PM
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn94/AbitNutz/bullet2.jpg (http://s302.photobucket.com/user/AbitNutz/media/bullet2.jpg.html)

I got the mold installed on the Master Caster and dropped in a pig of linotype. It took reletivley short time for the mold to come up to temperature and break-in. If anyone tells you that you can't do HP molds on a Master Caster...they're nuts. This mold drops just like any other I have tried. There's a video out there of a guy with a M/C saying the machine can't do HP's or if it can, it has to be modified to do so...nope. Just plug in the mold.

I ordered this mold from Magma and they shipped it to Hollow Point Mold Service. Eric did the modifications in just ad day or two. As you can see, the mold makes beutiful bullets.

The mold drops linotype bullets at .454-.455. I need to get them down to .451-2 for my Kart barreled 45 Super. These are going to be the first bullets I use the Hi-Tek coating on...this ought to be a real learning experience.

fecmech
09-16-2016, 07:58 PM
I have to ask. Why are you casting HP's out of linotype?

OS OK
09-16-2016, 09:44 PM
Same question he ask?

B. Lumpkin
09-16-2016, 11:19 PM
He mentioned elsewhere that he has close to a ton of linotype.

AbitNutz
09-17-2016, 12:28 AM
I used to work for a newspaper and when I left I gained weight...a lot of weight. My pickup was laying on the ground. I'll likely cut the alloy down to Lyman # 2 when I get everything all figured out. I wanted to try out my Master Caster and my new bullet mold quickly and dropping a 35 pound pig into the M/C was expedient.

B. Lumpkin
09-17-2016, 08:12 AM
They look really nice. I get better groups at 25 and 50 yards with linotype in my bullseye guns.

OS OK
09-17-2016, 09:49 AM
That makes sense, I wondered though because Lino is going to be so hard that any mushrooming I think...will result in lost and torn off pieces of Lino if you can speed them enough to do the job. So at this point they are just poser HP's and more on the order of a semi-wadcutter?

B. Lumpkin
09-17-2016, 09:54 AM
The HP can help accuracy. They (HP) are not just for expansion.

OS OK
09-17-2016, 10:05 AM
Hummm...OK? In my limited understanding of ballistics I thought that we wanted to keep the center of gravity ahead of the center of pressure (speaking rifle rounds) so they may fly true and not have the center of gravity trying to get ahead of the center of pressure causing yawing at distance.
These little pistol spuds may act differently at short ranges or I'm full of spit in my understanding.
I do know they cut paper clean.