PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
09-16-2016, 06:45 AM
But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light.—Ephesians 5:13 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=bbeb661df3&e=3dd732485b)When you lose something, you turn on the light. I am always losing things in my car. When my keys or wallet (or maybe a burrito!) drops between the seats, sometimes I have to get a flashlight out and search under the seats until I find it. Light exposes things.

I heard a story of a drunk man who was down on his hands and knees under a streetlight looking for something. A stranger came up to him and asked what he was doing. He said, "I lost my wallet."

"And you lost your wallet right here?" the stranger asked.

"No," the drunken man said, "I lost it two blocks over, but there is no light there."

Looking for something in the wrong place is not a good idea, is it? You need to look in the right place—and the right place to look when your marriage is facing problems is the Scriptures.

Sometimes when a marriage is having troubles, the couple goes for counseling. I am for that—as long as it is biblical counseling. Counsel that originates from human thought and reasoning is not going to help. You must get counsel from the Word of God, for He is the One who created marriage.

Here's something else to keep in mind. Just because a person says they are a Christian counselor doesn't necessarily mean they are giving biblical counsel. I have often heard advice from "Christian counselors" that is contradictory to what the Bible says. The true counsel of God comes from His written Word, the Bible.

"But what if you don't agree with what the Bible says?" you ask. Simple answer: Change your opinion because the Bible is right and, if you don't agree with it, you are wrong.

If you want a successful marriage, shine the light of God's Word on it.

Pine Baron
09-16-2016, 09:18 AM
Thanks rl. Unfortunately it takes both sides to become successful.

Blackwater
09-16-2016, 11:52 AM
What a great post and accurate advice! I just got through talking with a friend up in the mountains, and we were talking politics for a while. He was talking about the mess we're in and the corruption in Congress. My response was that it all boils down to whether we, as individuals or as a people, accept or reject the good advice and counsel in the Bible. And it's the same no matter what problems we're facing. Go with the Bible and its advice, and we find happiness and satisfaction. Go with worldly gleaned ideas, and we wind up "oursmarting" our own selves, and are brought to unhappiness, and often to ruin. Ain't it funny how that works?

Christ gave his life's blood on the cross to save us from our sinful natures, and left us with all sorts of stories and advice and admonitions that can lead to happiness and satisfaction. But it's up to us individually and as a people to follow that advice, and we don't get to pick and choose what we like, and ignore what doesn't suit our purposes at any given time. It's the whole ball of wax, or shame and ruin. Not many things in life are this clear. But we still have to discipline ourselves to it all. That's the hard part, due to our sinful natures, but it's worth everything we can put into it. Always.

Boaz
09-16-2016, 11:58 AM
What a great post and accurate advice! I just got through talking with a friend up in the mountains, and we were talking politics for a while. He was talking about the mess we're in and the corruption in Congress. My response was that it all boils down to whether we, as individuals or as a people, accept or reject the good advice and counsel in the Bible. And it's the same no matter what problems we're facing. Go with the Bible and its advice, and we find happiness and satisfaction. Go with worldly gleaned ideas, and we wind up "oursmarting" our own selves, and are brought to unhappiness, and often to ruin. Ain't it funny how that works?

Christ gave his life's blood on the cross to save us from our sinful natures, and left us with all sorts of stories and advice and admonitions that can lead to happiness and satisfaction. But it's up to us individually and as a people to follow that advice, and we don't get to pick and choose what we like, and ignore what doesn't suit our purposes at any given time. It's the whole ball of wax, or shame and ruin. Not many things in life are this clear. But we still have to discipline ourselves to it all. That's the hard part, due to our sinful natures, but it's worth everything we can put into it. Always.

Good post . Thank you .