PDA

View Full Version : CB's in the 375 Ruger

bigted
09-15-2016, 08:00 PM
well i am not there yet ... what i mean is that i have begun to play with my Ruger 375 and have had no good reportable results as of yet.

here is where i am;

i cast some .380 boolits outta my Accurate molds mold number 380250B and loaded them with trail boss powder and pulled a stupid for sure. i arrived at a charge of 26 grains TB as the max and using the .7 devider as they suggest i found that 19 grain would be the start point.

well instead of doing the beginning load i just jumped in at the 26 grain charge and was astonished at the recoil and blast of the shots. after shooting 10 of them i fumbled a case onto the ground and upon retrieving it i glanced at the primer to see what it looked like. low and behold ... it were flat and dimpled just barely with the pressure flowing the primer flat in the pocket. no cratering but too much pressure for sure.

so just as a point of progress i swabbed the bore to determine if i had leaded the barrel ... nope all nice n clean. i then shot some lite loads i have on hand with 4198 IMR and Hornaday's 300 grain round nose bullet just to see if they would still shoot as good as they had ... yep 1 slight hole in the target after 3 so i shot the other 2 and all in the same raged hole at 35 yds on a bench {lookin for accuracy ... not how well I shoot}.

she is still a shooter and i believe i will try some of the same boolits with the beginning load of TB to see how they do [the first loads were horrible in accuracy]. then i will load some of the 250's with the 4198 IMR to see how they do. i also like 4350 IMR for slightly lite loads so will try it as well.

i have a 275 grain mold from BACO in .380 as well as the Lyman 330 grain round nose mold ... think it throws a smaller dia. boolit tho. my fired cases will take the .380 inch boolits and if i snug em up to the rifling ... they should shoot i figure.

rockrat
09-15-2016, 08:27 PM
Try some 4759 if you can find any

bigted
09-17-2016, 07:53 PM
it is a great powder but alas ... it seems like hens teeth ... so i loaded some patched loads and greasers alike with my fav 4350 IMR powder and will try em soon when i get some range time.

i found that my fired brass measures .379 inch and so i wrapped some sized 37-250's cast of pure lead to .372 inch. wrapped up with 2 wraps of notebook paper [.0034 inch] after wetting them down , i took em and "baked" em in my toaster oven at 175 degree for 30 min to dry the paper nice n dry and loaded em dry in the cases over my 4350 IMR powder ... sparked by rem 9 1/5 primers.

loaded the accurate 380250B boolits greasers in the same style cases with the same powder n primers. lubed with SPG lube and crimped into the case for a 2.915 inch COAL for werkin thru the action and chambering easily.

be interesting to see if they make any good accuracy. i know ill stumble onto the rite recipe here soon. i will try some more Trail Boss loads as well ... just not near a smuch this time. i pulled the rest of the other loads and re-used the boolits in the 4350 IMR loads.

nobody else squirreling round with this round n rifle?

bigted
09-17-2016, 07:55 PM
guess nother question now that i recall it ... when loading patched boolits ... does everyone lube the patch before loading? if so why and with what?

yep i will go ask this on the paper patch section in smokeless area.

bigted
09-19-2016, 10:12 PM
hoping i get some range time this weekend to shoot the new loads. be interesting to see if they are accurate in the least.

Moonie
09-27-2016, 01:16 PM
Any updates bigted? I'm just starting to work on a 375 H&H and I'm curious at to your results.

bigted
09-27-2016, 01:35 PM
Nothing yet. Haven't had a chance to go to the range yet ... But anxious to get there and see what happens.

warboar_21
09-28-2016, 07:38 PM
I lubed my paper patched bullets with two different lubes to see which worked best. I tried using TC natural lube and also using Lee liquid alox that was cut with mineral spirits. I didn't notice any difference in ease in which the seated or if they improved accuracy any. I do know the TC smelled a whole lot better when applying it.

bigted
10-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Well got out to try the loads today. Just now stopped smiling. The .380 greasers didn't do very well ... But the patched boolit did dang good.

Shot the first three into the same hole at 40 yards. The rest went through the same if I hold still and can stop smiling for the shot.

Load is kinda heavier then expected and just the 58 grains of the R 4350. Should be a great hunting round but they let ya know your shooting something. Not unbearable ... But not the 38-55 loads I am looking for.

May need use another powder to slow things down a bit. Sure fun tho and the first success with this cannon. Looking forward to loading more to further test.