PDA

View Full Version : Time to step up

Thumbcocker
09-15-2016, 01:55 PM
Looks like two of our own need some assistance. Proud people, one of them a veteran, for whom asking is hard. Anyone in Maine close enough to help split some firewood? Maybe time for a drive to boy a power splitter.

Then there is a vehicle issue. Anyone got a decent truck that they maybe don't use as much anymore since they got a new rig? Maybe needs a few repairs or parts that they would let go for a reasonable price? We have certified mechanics on thus board. With a little teamwork and ceativity would could deliver a workable vehicle to folks that need it. I bet we could do a relay from anywhere on the lower 48. And wouldn't it be neat if that vehicle showed up with some lead, canned goods, or other useful stuff?

What say you?

runfiverun
09-15-2016, 02:14 PM
i'll do what I can.
if a vehicle needs moved or something I can cover from Utah to Nebraska if needed or Oregon to Wyoming.
if your gonna honcho this.
then a list of specifics, volunteer[s] in the area, and a main contact will be needed.

brass magnet might be helpful, he is pretty good at organizing this kind of stuff.

I know we can do this, this board has pulled off some amazing things in the past.

Pipefitter
09-15-2016, 02:41 PM
If you are heading east on I-80 I am just a few miles north, stop by for a meal, some gas money, and a place to take a nap..... as well as whatever we can spare from the pantry.

RayinNH
09-15-2016, 03:50 PM
We need more details.

Thumbcocker
09-15-2016, 04:34 PM
In some posts the folks in question have mentioned that they heat with wood and need help getting it split. Seems like with this being September that would be a priority. the same folks have mentioned that their truck will no longer pass a Maine inspection due to rust and mechanical problems that make it beyond their means to repair and would probably exceed the value of the truck in question.

My thought was triggered by what happened when Mrs. Thumbcocker and I traded in our old Subaru for a newer Subaru. The old care had over 200k on it but was solid and well maintained. Not pretty but I would have left for California in it with no fear. We were given a whalloping $850 trade in for the old car. I remember remarking that it was a shame we didn't know anyone who could have used ol Sid Subaru.

In a similar situation some years back a fund drive wsas organized and the folks were given advice on finding a vehicle locally and what to check for. Mechanics made suggestions about stuff to check. My thinking is that if a member had a spare vehicle we would know the vehicle history and benefit our own. I don't know if it would work out getting a vehicle from a less rusty southern state and getting it to them but that was my initial thought.

I am reluctant to mention the folks in question because I don't want to embarrass them. I will send Ray a p.m.

If this is something we can get behind as a community I am certainly in for a financial contribution and any logistical support that I could lend as well as miscellaneous donations of stuff. I have insurance that covers me in any vehicle I operate so I could certainly participate in a relay. I have a day job so my availability during business hours is limited but I will be glad to chip in.

maxreloader
09-15-2016, 05:35 PM
I have some lead that could find its way into the back of that truck when it passes through Maine. Depending on the scheduling I may also be able to help Ray with the relay of the vehicle.

Boaz
09-15-2016, 05:44 PM
Agreed . I'm in Texas with no vehicle to let but could kick in with a few bucks . How bout auctions in buy and sell ? We all got ..'stuff' we could part with for a good cause .

Thumbcocker
09-15-2016, 06:17 PM
My thoughts were find a vehicle first. I see several around here but I don't know their history. Wish this had come up earlier the Subaru would have been easy.

I am within easy driving of of I57, I64, I70 and not real far from I80. I do have some flexibility with work and could take a day or two off pretty easily with some advance notice. Also I have plenty of room to park something or stash cargo if this thing works out.

Yodogsandman
09-15-2016, 06:47 PM
Don't know how it's done but, how about a "go fund me" page?

maxreloader
09-15-2016, 07:49 PM
But it would have to be a "Go Fund Them" page... :bigsmyl2: I'm in for at least a donation and possibly logistics on the Maine end of things.

4719dave
09-15-2016, 08:04 PM
Well down here in that dammm hot sun shine state ...if a truck comes from down here got some stuff to put in it or donation would work too .This site is a very cool place to be ..

Thumbcocker
09-15-2016, 08:47 PM
Never did a go fund page. I was just putting the idea out there on a "spare" vehicle. Of course cash takes up a lot less space and is easier to transport. I have family in the used car business (go figure car dealers and lawyers in the same family) and could ask them to keep an eye out. Of course with 40K members here it seems logical that someone has a line on a dependable rig for a reasonable price. Then again for a whalloping $.50 each we could probably solve the problem.

Boaz
09-15-2016, 09:12 PM
Never did a go fund page. I was just putting the idea out there on a "spare" vehicle. Of course cash takes up a lot less space and is easier to transport. I have family in the used car business (go figure car dealers and lawyers in the same family) and could ask them to keep an eye out. Of course with 40K members here it seems logical that someone has a line on a dependable rig for a reasonable price. Then again for a whalloping $.50 each we could probably solve the problem.

Yours is a great idea , transportation being critical to exist . Members here have made a difference for folks in helping and stewardship . I have seen it happen , not many places left with the kind of good hearted people that are here .

Half Dog
09-15-2016, 09:35 PM
Well...I'm in Texas but willing to help where I can.

chambers
09-15-2016, 10:09 PM
Let us know what you are looking for to help out either in dollars or goods? Don't need to know who it is but would like to make sure it goes to the right cause. Money is easier to send then goods but if you are willing to put together a drive people can always send a flat rate box of goods to address and someone else can deliver it to the end user. Keep us posted!

Bogart
09-15-2016, 10:32 PM
A few more details please, I don't have the time to read every post on the site. I live on the border with Maine, I go into Maine often. How about a town name to at least give me a n idea if I can help.

Alvarez Kelly
09-16-2016, 12:13 AM
I don't have a vehicle, but I will chip in. Let me know where...

leeggen
09-16-2016, 12:46 AM
Maybe one of the flatbed drivers could possibly load on a return instead of being empty. Just another option to think of.
CD

Wayne Smith
09-16-2016, 07:45 AM
For those who have been here a while you know we bought Sam and Julie the truck that now needs to be replaced. They never asked, just let us know the need and we responded. Time to step up again. Who is willing to handle donated funds?

BTW - Sam is one of the go to guys for questions on the 1911 platform, too.

Hickok
09-16-2016, 07:49 AM
Give me an address or info to get funds to them and I will be most happy to help.

Thumbcocker
09-16-2016, 08:49 AM
Now that I have permission to post Sam and Julies identity thinks should be easier. Probably the simplest option would be to pay-pal the funds to them if we don't have a vehicle in the "family". In my 22 mile drive to work this morning I saw three for sale along the road that would probably do but then again I am sure there are vehicles a lot closer than Illinois.

I wasn't trying to be mysterious just preserve the privacy and dignity of the folks involved. Hopefully Sam and Julie will be able to give us some information and suggestions so that this thing can be tailored to their needs.

maxreloader
09-16-2016, 08:55 AM
A "town" location would be very helpful...

gray wolf
09-16-2016, 09:23 AM
A "town" location would be very helpful...

Pm sent.

Echo
09-16-2016, 09:36 AM
I'll make a donation - just tell me where.

lightman
09-16-2016, 10:08 AM
I'm in. I'm also retired so I could possibly help with the delivery. I've never been to Maine, so maybe this is the time.

Blackwater
09-16-2016, 12:55 PM
My wife manages a thrift store here, and if I can get their shirt, shoe, pants and dress sizes, I'm sure we can get some clothes together for them. Then I can just send them by the post office directly to their door. Just need to know thier sizes. Might take a week or so to find the right stuff, where colors match and all that, but we don't want to send them junk. And the shop will probably not charge a dime knowing it's for a real charity and folks in real need. But if not, one can get a complete outfit including shoes for $5-10, depending on what's available. Three or four sets of clothes would be doable, easily. Let me know the sizes, and I'd be happy to get this part done for them, and mail it directly to them.

Thumbcocker
09-16-2016, 02:43 PM
I think that now that we have more information we need to prioritize the situation.

First :
Sam and Julie live in Maine and heat with wood. It is September and things are cooling off. Seems like this situation could be solved with not much money and some sweat. If I could fit my chubby butt in a flat rate box I would be glad to help there. I make my living behind a desk but I am familiar with the operation of a splitting maul.

Second:

Sam and Julie need a vehicle that will pass inspection by January. This gives us a time frame to work in. I am proposing two options here.

One:

Someone in the boolits family may have an extra vehicle that would fit Sam and Julies needs that could be purchased by the group and gotten to Maine. My dream scenario was a southern vehicle with no rust, mechanically sound, maybe needing a few minor repairs. My theory was that if we are relaying a vehicle lets fill that sucker up with usable stuff. I am in contact with a boolits family member who may be in a position to provide an Older Jeep Cherokee at a very reasonable price depending on that members getting a different vehicle soon. I think we need to keep this option open for a week or so to let word get out among the family and see what develops.

Two:

Sam and Julie locate a vehicle in their area that fits their needs and let us know the price. We then proceed to get the funds to them. I don't see how we could beat PMO's mailed directly to them. Keep in mind that we have until January so some of us could make more than one donation as payday comes around.

There is no reason why both tracks can't move along at the same time. If Sam and Julie find the deal of a lifetime on what they need we can go full bore on that. I am familiar with the Jeep that the member has here and it is a good solid vehicle. We should know something soon on that one way or another.

I will not post Sam and Julie's location or contact information on the public section of this board. Inquires should be made via pm.

I would welcome any suggestions on this issue. I greatly value the collective ingenuity and life experience of this family there are many forms of education and lots of folks here are very well educated without having letters after their names.

Wise Owl
09-16-2016, 02:46 PM
While we appreciate the offer of clothing or shoes or food, we are ok with that sort of stuff. Have more winter clothes than space to put them right now. (have our own Thrift shop up here and I do shop there. Can't beat a pair of jeans for $2 that are hardly worn)

So please, no clothes or food. It's transportation and getting the wood that's too big to stack and then put into the woodshed for winter that are upper most a problem for us.
I am not a spring chicken anymore and I am finding that I can do less now. Next month I turn 66 and the stroke and my arthritis have knocked me hard.

We just wanted to say the thing about the clothes and such so it doesn't become another problem for us......we have enough.

Oh and the fix on the Ford today was $107 to patch the hole in the fill line to the gas station! They charged us $60 for labor for about $45 for a rubber hose and some clamps.......

Wise Owl
09-16-2016, 02:57 PM
Thumbcocker, either plan sounds good to us, minus the filling with goods altho Sam can always use lead, ha ha....
And you won't need a maul to split wood. We own a very nice 22 ton hydrolic woodsplitter. It's sitting next to the woodpile. It works great, it's our bodies that don't work so good anymore.

I have arthritis in both knees, my shoulders, my neck and you won't believe it but two toes on my right foot........(figure that last one out for me)
Sam has arthritis in his lower back, shoulder and neck. We are not getting younger it seems. Still spry enough to get some things done but we both have bad days and there are more of them in the past year, than good ones.

God bless you all for stepping up again. I pray to God we can help back in some way, some how. Right now, you all are a God send to us.

Julie

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-16-2016, 04:01 PM
SNIP...

And you won't need a maul to split wood. We own a very nice 22 ton hydrolic woodsplitter. It's sitting next to the woodpile. It works great, it's our bodies that don't work so good anymore.

I wish I lived near enough for a day trip, to crank out that firewood for you, I love that type of labor.

Wise Owl
09-16-2016, 04:12 PM
We used to love it also.....now? Not so much.

Sam and I warmed the splitter up a bit this afternoon splitting up kindling. We have a big box that Sam made that holds a LOT of kindling. We go thru a ton of that in the fall and spring just doing warm up fires in the woodstove. Barely made a dent in it tho. Sam's neck went out...and my back was hurting. But we will keep slugging away at it in the meantime.

We have to get ready for Sam's brother for Sunday now. So hopefully we can get back to the woodpile later next week. (crosses fingers and says a prayer)

I wish I lived near enough for a day trip, to crank out that firewood for you, I love that type of labor.

maxreloader
09-16-2016, 07:21 PM
If anybody is willing to give a 1/2 day or day and you are willing to travel to mid-Maine shoot me a PM and lets go split/stack some wood!

gray wolf
09-17-2016, 12:57 PM
If anybody is willing to give a 1/2 day or day and you are willing to travel to mid-Maine shoot me a PM and lets go split/stack some wood!

Let us know if this is a go and I will PM you directions or a phone number to call.

Sam

maxreloader
09-17-2016, 03:13 PM
I have received zero PM's so far. Maybe because it's the weekend... not sure. I will let you know if anybody volunteers right away.

toallmy
09-17-2016, 03:21 PM
Sorry i am at the bottom of Va , I burn wood so I am familiar with busting wood . It seams to be a noble cause . When you get the automobile worked out I'm in , keeping an eye on this post.

rockrat
09-17-2016, 03:25 PM
Saw locally a 2001 GMC "baby blazer" w/144K. Few dents/scrapes, especially on tailgate, looks like they backed into something. $1500 obo, but Colorado is a long way from Maine

Thumbcocker
09-17-2016, 04:14 PM
Okay to update things.

The Grand Cherokee did not work out. Not really surprising since several things had to line up for that to work.

Sam has given me permission to forward his mailing address and email for those set up to paypal. I'm sure you could pm him and Julie for the information. I had hoped to quickly find a vehicle available in the family but that may not work out. At this point I think that folks in the northeast could keep an eye out and see what they can find. Hopefully Sam and Julie can look too. In the meantime there is no reason we can't start the fundraising. I had hoped to locate a specific vehicle so we would have a set target amount. Doesn't look like we have that at this point but that could change any time. So lets start getting the cash flowing PMO's, paypal, benefit auctions we all know how this stuff works so let's start making it happened.

Some other thoughts I have on this. I will ask moderators on other forums I hang out on to post a link to this thread and see if they would be willing to give out the mailing address and paypal information as needed. Again I want to respect the privacy of Sam and Julie.

Some of us have retired from professions and skilled trades but still have contacts in those fields. Let's use those contacts and get some funding. In 28 years I have trained a bunch of young lawyers; some of whom have done pretty well. I will reach out to a few of them and see what I can do.

Lets hear from folks with experience with the type of vehicle Sam and Julie are looking for. Makes and models with reputations for reliability and longevity. What to look for and what to look out for. Snow and cold weather are going to be factors here.

Anyone else with thoughts on how to make this happened jump in and let us know what you are thinking.

Boaz
09-17-2016, 08:18 PM
PayPal portal to deposit in their account directly , around 30% of those willing to donate will not have PayPal . Someone with a 'secure' address can forward personal checks or cash to them if they prefer not to make public their address . Portal info should be requested by pm to the one in charge of cash and personal checks . Their address should not be put on the board or made public .

Thumbcocker
09-18-2016, 04:29 PM
Further details on Sam and Julie's situation:

6 years ago this forum was able to help Sam and Julie get a vehicle. That vehicle is no longer worth repairing and has a finite number of miles left in it. Sam and Julie live in rural Maine 3 miles from a paved road. Maine weather and the fact that they live in the mountains set some of the parameters that a replacement vehicle will have to meet.

A replacement vehicle needs to be an SUV of some sort. 4X4 is a must, remember we are talking rural Maine here. Reliability is also key so we need good tires, good battery, no major mechanical problems, and not something with a history of problems.

In prior posts I have mentioned that locating a vehicle might be a good first step. After thinking about it some more it is pretty clear that Sam and Julie can do a lot better if they have cash in hand before they start looking. Another factor is that their current vehicle only has so many miles left in it so it makes no sense to have them running all over the north east using up those remaining miles to find something and then trying to get funds for it.

At this point I think that we are better off focusing on getting the funds together. Looking at various online car sights it is pretty obvious that any decent SUV is going to be at least $10,000. Of course we all hear stories about someone's brother in laws best friend's cousin finding a mint condition SUV for $2500. If that happens here great, but in the real word $10,000 is a realistic figure. There is still a possibility of a family member finding a deal several states away and if that happens renting a UHaul car towing trailer and towing the car to them is not off the table but with cash in hand Sam and Julie will have much more power in any negotiation.

There may be some folks who might feel that this is an awful lot of money for a vehicle especially if they are driving a vehicle that cost less that that. That may be true but the facts are the facts it is what it is. We could go with something cheap to get them through the winter but then we would be right back here in a year or so. It just makes sense to do this right and get all involved peace of mind and solve this problem. One way to look at this is 25 cents per member would do this.

This gets us to the mechanics of the thing. I have never honchoed anything but am willing to forward funds to Sam and Julie if asked. Sam and Julie are set up for paypal and of course snail mail still works. I spoke with Sam this morning and he and Julie would be willing to keep the family updated as to where we are on the goal. I will be happy to forward mailing addresses or paypal information in response to any pm. You can also pm Sam and Julie directly.

Sam and Julie are family and have contributed to society and this country. They contribute valuable life and boolit experience to this forum. When I was a kid running around the woods with a Benjamin air rifle Sam was wearing a uniform that told the world he was willing to put his life on the line for me. That carries weight and deserves to be honored.

Many of us complain about the state of the world or the country or political deadlock and lots of other stuff that we can't do much about. We CAN do something about this situation. Let's FIX this thing because it is the RIGHT thing to do.

Boaz
09-18-2016, 06:50 PM
I might have a few small things I could put on buy and sell for the cause.......is it time to post them ?

OeldeWolf
09-18-2016, 07:56 PM
My significant other have agreed, and after the 3rd we would like to semd some funds. Our health is stabilizing, so I feel it is time to start helping out a bit around here.

MaryB
09-18-2016, 11:42 PM
I will be posting an auction for a pair of cast boolit pint mugs like these in the swap section. Starting Bid $30... wish I could donate more but I am on SSDI and fighting my own health battles right now(need $5k+++ of dental work) and my own truck is a major rust bucket that is going to need a new bed and some cab mounts welded in soon...

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/Gun%20engraving/IMG_20150212_2032145251_zps00350800.jpg

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-19-2016, 11:55 AM
I put up a S&S post benefit sale for Julie and Sam, for some SL68B lube samples.
I don't know if there'll be much interest?
If not, I'll make a donation for at least the amount of postage I would have spent, if I don't send out these samples.

Wise Owl
09-19-2016, 04:12 PM
Time to post a total of donation money recieved so far.

$325 so far.

There is some left from Sophie's fundraiser but I have to figure that out still. Very busy with Sam's brother right now thru Thurs. (we haven't seen him for about 3 years now and they are only here for a very few days. )

I will try to update the numbers as they come in or shortly there after. Maybe once a day?

God bless you all and your families.

Julie

Smoke4320
09-19-2016, 04:22 PM
Would be more than willing to auction 2 lbs of Flat black Powder coating for the cause
You send the money to Sam .. he informs me funds received
I will ship to winner and I cover shipping

Wise Owl
09-19-2016, 04:57 PM
Making the total at $455 now. :D

Skunk1
09-19-2016, 06:11 PM
Pm sent to help out with funds. I know what it's like with health issues and finances, we had our bout with that last year. Still digging out from that. If any thing comes down I-80 let me know i can chip in some lead also.

Mtnfolk75
09-19-2016, 07:04 PM
PM enroute to Wise Owl.

Wise Owl
09-19-2016, 10:00 PM
Final update for tonight.

$740 !!!

God bless you all once again.

Thumbcocker
09-20-2016, 08:59 AM
500 members chipping in the cost of a Lee 2 cavity mold will solve this thing.

Wise Owl
09-20-2016, 04:42 PM
We have the mechanic who also sells a few cars/trucks looking for a vehicle for us. He "had" a nice Grand Cherokee for sale but someone snapped that up real fast. Still parked but sold.......must of been a good price.
The GMC Terrain is there. All wheel drive with lower mileage but was repaired because of accident. Didn't talk to mechanic, only secretary and she didn't know what had happened to it. Only that other mechanic did the body work and it's gorgeous now. It's a 2011 model V-6.

That's all I have found so far. We still have family here so no time to look further in immediate area.

No change in donation status since yesterday.

$740 in the PayPal account.

Alvarez Kelly
09-20-2016, 10:35 PM
I've started a fund raising auction for 100 Starline 45 Colt cases in the swapping and selling section. All proceeds go to Sam and Julie. I'll cover the shipping too.

Bid early. Bid often.

Bzcraig
09-21-2016, 12:30 AM
I've got an auction up for 30-30 dies

MaryB
09-21-2016, 01:55 AM
My only comment about a Jeep is you need to own 2, a spare for parts! Especially the window components.

gray wolf
09-21-2016, 12:32 PM
Julie started a fundraising page at You Caring. Hope this helps.

https://www.youcaring.com/sam-and-julie-653809 (http://mandrillapp.com/track/click/30332225/www.youcaring.com?p=eyJzIjoicDJHOXpwT1RNZ3JqS1lBTT FNb3d2d25zRkpBIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjozMDMzMjIy NSxcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwczpcXFwvXFxcL3d3dy 55b3VjYXJpbmcuY29tXFxcL3NhbS1hbmQtanVsaWUtNjUzODA5 P1dULm1jX2lkPUNQO0VNO0RSUDtkcnAtb3JnLXJ0ZnJsaXZlXz EyMDcxNV9zZmImdXRtX3NvdXJjZT1FTSZ1dG1fbWVkaXVtPURS UCZ1dG1fY2FtcGFpZ249ZHJwLW9yZy1ydGZybGl2ZV8xMjA3MT Vfc2ZiXCIsXCJpZFwiOlwiZDJmMjFlNDk4MzA5NDQyYWJlYjNj YmFjMzE4MGI1YWZcIixcInVybF9pZHNcIjpbXCJlNmUxZGVkNG ZjODQ5NjA0YzE4Y2E4MzA0NDkxODNhM2ZkYmUyNDI5XCJdfSJ9 )

(http://mandrillapp.com/track/click/30332225/www.youcaring.com?p=eyJzIjoicDJHOXpwT1RNZ3JqS1lBTT FNb3d2d25zRkpBIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjozMDMzMjIy NSxcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwczpcXFwvXFxcL3d3dy 55b3VjYXJpbmcuY29tXFxcL3NhbS1hbmQtanVsaWUtNjUzODA5 P1dULm1jX2lkPUNQO0VNO0RSUDtkcnAtb3JnLXJ0ZnJsaXZlXz EyMDcxNV9zZmImdXRtX3NvdXJjZT1FTSZ1dG1fbWVkaXVtPURS UCZ1dG1fY2FtcGFpZ249ZHJwLW9yZy1ydGZybGl2ZV8xMjA3MT Vfc2ZiXCIsXCJpZFwiOlwiZDJmMjFlNDk4MzA5NDQyYWJlYjNj YmFjMzE4MGI1YWZcIixcInVybF9pZHNcIjpbXCJlNmUxZGVkNG ZjODQ5NjA0YzE4Y2E4MzA0NDkxODNhM2ZkYmUyNDI5XCJdfSJ9 )

bdicki
09-21-2016, 02:07 PM
I've got an auction up for 225 Winchester brass.

gray wolf
09-21-2016, 07:29 PM
Today's total is $765.89 in the PayPal account.

Oops.
(Sam's login. This is Julie)

God Bless.

buckwheatpaul
09-22-2016, 07:21 AM

https://www.youcaring.com/sam-and-julie-653809 (http://mandrillapp.com/track/click/30332225/www.youcaring.com?p=eyJzIjoicDJHOXpwT1RNZ3JqS1lBTT FNb3d2d25zRkpBIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjozMDMzMjIy NSxcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwczpcXFwvXFxcL3d3dy 55b3VjYXJpbmcuY29tXFxcL3NhbS1hbmQtanVsaWUtNjUzODA5 P1dULm1jX2lkPUNQO0VNO0RSUDtkcnAtb3JnLXJ0ZnJsaXZlXz EyMDcxNV9zZmImdXRtX3NvdXJjZT1FTSZ1dG1fbWVkaXVtPURS UCZ1dG1fY2FtcGFpZ249ZHJwLW9yZy1ydGZybGl2ZV8xMjA3MT Vfc2ZiXCIsXCJpZFwiOlwiZDJmMjFlNDk4MzA5NDQyYWJlYjNj YmFjMzE4MGI1YWZcIixcInVybF9pZHNcIjpbXCJlNmUxZGVkNG ZjODQ5NjA0YzE4Y2E4MzA0NDkxODNhM2ZkYmUyNDI5XCJdfSJ9 )

(http://mandrillapp.com/track/click/30332225/www.youcaring.com?p=eyJzIjoicDJHOXpwT1RNZ3JqS1lBTT FNb3d2d25zRkpBIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjozMDMzMjIy NSxcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwczpcXFwvXFxcL3d3dy 55b3VjYXJpbmcuY29tXFxcL3NhbS1hbmQtanVsaWUtNjUzODA5 P1dULm1jX2lkPUNQO0VNO0RSUDtkcnAtb3JnLXJ0ZnJsaXZlXz EyMDcxNV9zZmImdXRtX3NvdXJjZT1FTSZ1dG1fbWVkaXVtPURS UCZ1dG1fY2FtcGFpZ249ZHJwLW9yZy1ydGZybGl2ZV8xMjA3MT Vfc2ZiXCIsXCJpZFwiOlwiZDJmMjFlNDk4MzA5NDQyYWJlYjNj YmFjMzE4MGI1YWZcIixcInVybF9pZHNcIjpbXCJlNmUxZGVkNG ZjODQ5NjA0YzE4Y2E4MzA0NDkxODNhM2ZkYmUyNDI5XCJdfSJ9 )

Sam and Julie....hope this helps....just used Julie's site and it was painless.......Paul

Wise Owl
09-22-2016, 10:26 AM
Paul, thank you so much.

God Bless

buckwheatpaul
09-22-2016, 02:33 PM
Wise Owl, It is just takin' care of family! Paul

Wise Owl
09-22-2016, 08:18 PM
Family has gone home and we "might" have some help coming from a couple of locals to get the firewood done and into the shed. They will charge us however. No getting around that. Hopefully it won't be too much.

PayPal account now shows $881.62. There is one eCheck waiting to clear that doesn't show in the balance columne.

God Bless!

deep creek
09-22-2016, 11:29 PM
can someone pm me an address? don't know pay pal

WILCO
09-22-2016, 11:49 PM
we "might" have some help coming from a couple of locals to get the firewood done and into the shed. They will charge us however. No getting around that. Hopefully it won't be too much.

Contact the local school or Boy scouts. See if there's someone who needs community service hours.

Wise Owl
09-23-2016, 07:45 AM
Contact the local school or Boy scouts. See if there's someone who needs community service hours.

No boy scout troops up here and no reliable teenage boys. Sad but true. Very small community.

daloper
09-23-2016, 08:06 AM

Used Julie's site also. Hope this helps.

Also hope my post with quote works. Still a newbe trying to figure things out.

Wise Owl
09-23-2016, 10:02 AM
Used Julie's site also. Hope this helps.

Also hope my post with quote works. Still a newbe trying to figure things out.

Yes, it does help.

Thank you and God bless

daloper
09-23-2016, 10:26 AM
Like Thumbcocker said. I can forgo a new mold to help our own. We just need to set up and stop waiting for the government to do what we need to do ourselves.

HABCAN
09-23-2016, 11:23 AM
Sent summat via my VISA..........if I can, YOU can.

Wise Owl
09-23-2016, 08:43 PM
PayPal balance is $953.59.

God bless and thanks to all those who are helping us.

Julie and Sam

Strtspdlx
09-24-2016, 11:47 AM
If you want a reliable vehicle look for a 90s jeep Cherokee sport they where before my time as a a mechanic but I think it's something like 94-2001. Make sure it has a 4.0 inline 6 cylinder. The older models can be had for around 1500-2000 the newer models are still holding a value of around 4-6 thousand depending on condition. I don't know Maine emissions standards but I know federally if it's older then 96 you have to smog test (tailpipe sniffer test). 96 and up or any obd2 car is plug and pass. No light or codes and all readiness monitors ready and you're good. Personally I like obd2 it's extremely easy to diagnose and repair. But I'd definetely look for a jeep. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Thumbcocker
09-24-2016, 08:27 PM
$3 from every view of this thread would have us there.

Wise Owl
09-24-2016, 10:20 PM
PayPal balance as of tonight is $951.83.
We also have a donation by mail balance of $120 so that makes it $1071.83.

God Bless!

Wise Owl
09-25-2016, 11:11 AM
I have been looking at Carfax for used Ford Explorers. We liked our Expedition but it had a drinking problem....along with the rust problem. So, I thought a step down to an Explorer might be better. Still big enough to hold the two big dogs and us plus groceries, etc.

I limited the search to 500 miles so it takes in several states around us. Not sure how we would go about getting something checked out that far away but maybe we have members who know something about cars that might go take a look? But, it's still early in fund raising so, what do you all think about an Explorer? Decent prices on some altho I am passing by any with too many owners or accident reports.

https://www.carfax.com/vehicles/Used-Ford-Explorer--04970/year-min-2010/range-500

1bluehorse
09-25-2016, 01:04 PM
Like many here I (assume) I'm retired and have been for over 10 years, so, payday is always the first of the month for us, so will help after that. I live on the other side of the country so no help in the vehicle department.

Wise Owl
09-25-2016, 09:49 PM
Like many here I (assume) I'm retired and have been for over 10 years, so, payday is always the first of the month for us, so will help after that. I live on the other side of the country so no help in the vehicle department.

Thank you 1bluehorse. That's very kind of you.

PayPal plus donations thru the snail mail total $1171.19

God bless you all.

Side note. Our wood splitting help was a no show. Going to do more looking around tomorrow for help.

Valley Forge
09-26-2016, 10:55 AM
There's something been added to the Paypal account from our house.

gray wolf
09-26-2016, 10:59 AM
There's something been added to the Paypal account from our house.

Got it thanks!

As of this morning we have between PayPal and snail mail donations a grand total of $1662 !

Wise Owl
09-26-2016, 11:22 AM
Ok, a question for the Jeep Cherokee folks. I spent a few hours yesterday looking at them from the Northeast. About 3/4's of them have had or been involved in some sort of accident. They also are pretty pricey for cars with higher mileage.
As to the accidents. Has there been some sort of recall thing that has been fixed that "might" have caused something like this?

Just curious.

As you can see I am up to page 20 in the listings........nearly went blind reading and looking for defects in the older ones AND the newer. But I tried to keep reasonable in pricing. I skipped over any with multiple owners or accidents.

country gent
09-26-2016, 12:00 PM
Check the local high schools for Vo Ag classes and FFA ( Future Farmers of America ). They do comunity service and help out the people in the community. Also use the Mark Twain technique with the FFA students. Make it a wood splitting contest for them. WHo can split the most with one blow, who can split the most wood in a given time. Teenagers love to compete against each other and an older guy there letting them beat him keeps them going. Ill bet the wood would be split in no time flat. Also check local schools for auto classes as they are ussually looking for projects to work on.

Wise Owl
09-26-2016, 12:01 PM
Check out this Cherokee. 1 owner, low mileage. Good maintenence. We like the looks of this car. Only problem is that it's in New Jersey..........!

https://www.carfax.com/vehicles/1J8GW68J74C108321-used-2004-jeep-grand-cherokee-overland--riverdale

Oh and the young man who didn't show yesterday called a bit ago to say he was coming this afternoon to work and can work most of this week, IF NEEDED......(that depends on how fast he can stack wood without it falling down again, lol)

Wise Owl
09-26-2016, 12:03 PM
We OWN a 23 ton woodsplitter which looks like new. Runs great.
Read above about the help coming today. He had to make an emergency vet run for a cat that was bit by something in the neck. So, he is excused for abscence yesterday. We'll see how good he is at doing firewood.

Check the local high schools for Vo Ag classes and FFA ( Future Farmers of America ). They do comunity service and help out the people in the community. Also use the Mark Twain technique with the FFA students. Make it a wood splitting contest for them. WHo can split the most with one blow, who can split the most wood in a given time. Teenagers love to compete against each other and an older guy there letting them beat him keeps them going. Ill bet the wood would be split in no time flat. Also check local schools for auto classes as they are ussually looking for projects to work on.

Wise Owl
09-26-2016, 04:29 PM
Yes! The young man who is going to do the wood is here!!!! There are a couple other guys going to help a bit this week. He says they should have it done by sometime this week. What a relief. Praise the Lord.

Mtnfolk75
09-26-2016, 04:36 PM
/\/\/\/\ .........[smilie=w: Glad to hear the wood is being dealt with, see the Lord will answer your prayers. You just have to remember he works on his schedule, not yours .... :mrgreen:

merlin101
09-26-2016, 05:06 PM
Check out this Cherokee. 1 owner, low mileage. Good maintenence. We like the looks of this car. Only problem is that it's in New Jersey..........!

https://www.carfax.com/vehicles/1J8GW68J74C108321-used-2004-jeep-grand-cherokee-overland--riverdale)

Jeeps are not only expensive to buy they are also costly to run,repair and insure. You'll normally pay more upfront for a Jeep because of the name and any Jeep only parts are pricey insurance is higher too because of the parts prices and the rollover record.
Cost wise you would do much better with an Explorer, and that's coming from a GM fan.

Wise Owl
09-26-2016, 05:58 PM
THIS is the type of feedback we are looking for altho the jeep has been taken care of very carefully. All the major stuff has been repaired already altho they may need it again. What we are looking for is cost, mileage and no rust. Also something big enough for two big dogs. We know our Expedition is big enough for Ashly and Sophie. Once we go down in size, then we need to make sure they will fit with enough room for the big girl to lay down as that is what she does when she is riding.

Those heated seats in the Cherokee sound great and it does have the bigger 17 inch tires so it will handle our snow up here. And we do get snow and ice.

As to cost of parts? Ford parts are no way cheaper. BTDT........with the Expedition.

But, then my brother used to build Chevys and he has driven Ford trucks for years. So, I am steering away from them due to his opinions of actually building them in Flint Michigan for about 40 years.....

Jeeps are not only expensive to buy they are also costly to run,repair and insure. You'll normally pay more upfront for a Jeep because of the name and any Jeep only parts are pricey insurance is higher too because of the parts prices and the rollover record.
Cost wise you would do much better with an Explorer, and that's coming from a GM fan.

Wise Owl
09-26-2016, 11:29 PM
PayPal total for tonight as of 11:30 pm is $1975.69. That is with donations thru the snail mail also.

Woo hoo. Getting there. Praise God and God bless all of you for helping.

As to the wood. Had 3 youngsters working late today. They got a LOT done so far. Probably a couple days to get it finished up they think. They were tag teaming....! Wish we had that kind of energy and good bodies........

Sorry for late update tonight. Had to watch the debate......shiver....

MaryB
09-26-2016, 11:42 PM
Biggest problem with the Jeep SUV's is the window mechanisms... friend had 2 of them, she replaced the window parts 4 times in each one before selling them off as lemons.

Wise Owl
09-27-2016, 07:26 AM
Thanks Mary, I will check the service record on these cars for that problem. Good to know.

Wayne Smith
09-27-2016, 07:40 AM
Julie, since they are teenagers you and Sam ought to plan to teach them to stack wood so that it won't fall. It is a learned skill!

Wise Owl
09-27-2016, 08:28 AM
Not teenagers. At least in their 20's. I call anyone younger than me a kid nowdays........grins. And they are doing a great job so far. I did an inspection last night to make sure the wood is neat and positioned so it won't fall... Good job so far.

Wise Owl
09-27-2016, 04:55 PM
Sam here, many thanks for all the help and Prayers.
The two boy's are indeed doing a good job on the wood, I think they will have it done in two more day's.

I can't say what a relief it is for us.

Sam

Wise Owl
09-27-2016, 05:52 PM
The head guy came back this morning with another friend and they worked about 5 hours hard on the wood. Looks like about 1/2 of it split and stacked at this point. Very friendly, POLITE young men. They took a few short breaks to catch their breath but they were really working hard out there. Thinking we need to keep the head guy's phone number for handiwork.

Makes us happy to find good, strong, you guys who can put in the time and effort and save our old joints and backs.
Praise God !

Wise Owl
09-27-2016, 10:58 PM
Total in the PayPal and snail mail donations for today is now $2071.90.

God bless you all.

Been a long one today with a dr appointment this morning then other stuff needing to be done. Not feeling well today so good night to all of you fine people.

Wise Owl
09-28-2016, 11:07 PM
Total in the PayPal and snail mail donations for today is now $2213.98.

God bless all who are helping us.

Looks like tomorrow will call an end to the firewood splitting and stacking. They worked a couple hours late this afternoon. They waited awhile since it rained last night and the wood was wet. They covered it tonight to make sure it's dry for tomorrow's push. They are also going to help us with some other things this winter so Sam and I don't have such a hard time dealing with snow issues. Thank God we found these strong young men who are willing to work and willing to help an senior couple.

Good night to all.

gray wolf
09-30-2016, 09:03 AM
Total for yesterday was $2250.

Looks like today will be last day for the guys and the woodpile. They were here only a couple hours then had to leave. Supposed to be here early today. Not much left to the woodpile then the cleanup and they will be done. Thank God.

Sorry we haven't been more interactive with you all. I have not been feeling good due to medication changes and Sam hurt his back again. So, it's been a few difficult days for us.

We really appreciate all the help and kindness shown by Cast Boolets. It's nice to know that not the whole world has gone nutz.

God bless and have a great day.

Julie...(forgot we were logged in as Sam......)

Wise Owl
09-30-2016, 02:41 PM
The wood is done and in the shed. The yard is raked up and all that needs done is for us to grease up the splitter and put it away. Our guy is coming back to help with that and we asked him about doing our snowblowing this winter. We have a very nice snowblower we just don't have the legs to do it anymore. We really appreciated this young man and his friends for doing this so fast. It's a major relief to both of us to have it done. Maybe next year get it all in the shed earlier. Our guy is ok with that.

So now back to finding that vehicle and getting that done and maybe our stress level will be a lot less. After the year we have had, that will indeed be a blessing of greatness.

God bless.

Wise Owl
09-30-2016, 10:17 PM
Total in the PayPal and snail mail donations for today is now $2475.98.

We paid the young men who split and stacked our firewood from the remaining money from Sophie's funds.
They are done except for a few mins of putting the splitter away and such.

God bless you all and have a good night. We will sleep better tonight knowing that pile of firewood has been dealt with for this year. Good night.

MaryB
10-01-2016, 01:11 AM
I know the back issues all to well. I have been sidelined all week with a massive back spasm that was so bad I almost went to the ER for morphine 2 nights ago.Really put a crimp in my fall schedule.

Wise Owl
10-01-2016, 09:24 AM
Mary, we use a massage oil called Arnica Warming Oil made by NOW foods. Works great with a little heat over it. I get it off Amazon. Goes a long way as you only need a few drops.

Wise Owl
10-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Total in the PayPal and snail mail donations for today is now $2765.

Have a good night and God Bless you all.

Julie and Sam

MaryB
10-01-2016, 10:32 PM
Thanks but my back is beyond massage(in fact if done wrong it and chiropractic could paralyze me). I have been stalling a low back fusion for 4 years and dealing with the pain...

Mary, we use a massage oil called Arnica Warming Oil made by NOW foods. Works great with a little heat over it. I get it off Amazon. Goes a long way as you only need a few drops.

Wise Owl
10-02-2016, 09:41 AM
Mary, it's no the massage part, in fact we just rub the oil in. It helps to relieve the muscle pain. We use it on joints and backs, shoulders, neck, etc. The Arnica is wonderful. Been using Arnica Montana for arthritis and sore muscles and sprains for years with great results. Chiropractors are recommending Arnica for the patients now. They have started putting it in some of their muscle rubs.

Try it. It WILL help kill pain. Promise.

Three44s
10-03-2016, 12:33 AM
I know the back issues all to well. I have been sidelined all week with a massive back spasm that was so bad I almost went to the ER for morphine 2 nights ago.Really put a crimp in my fall schedule.

I am not going to pretend that my back issues are as bad as that but I have some interesting experiences I'll share just the same.

This story begins about twelve years ago and with a product I have not used for a few years because I found an even better and more economical one but it starts with a cream sold by a Japanese Wellness company called Nikken.

With this cream and it all happened by happen stance, I would apply it to my quads .... for treating a back spasm ....... now why might that work?

Well, in my case I found that the muscles triggering the back to fire off ....... and yes, discs and vertibrae are at the root of it ....... but we are talking RELIEF ........... were my quads ........ the muscles on the front of my upper leg bones .........

Muscles don't push ...... think of our joints like pivot points and our muscles like ropes ...... our muscles in other areas of our body can and do tighten up on occasion because in the course of our backs or other parts of our bodies hurting .......

.......... we over compensate and other areas of our bodies take a "hit".

Now fast forward to about 3 1/2 years ago ....... my friend that acquainted me to the Nikken company ..... introduced me to a new American one that has just ONE main product that is so profound that it's a stand alone.

This American product is less expensive and more effective and more inclusive to human health.

What I have found is that when my back hurts I can apply this material on it and get some relief .......... but I can start with my quads and if not stop it there ....... move to my abdomen and one or the other or both ........ will stop it cold.

I only offer this bit of info to help ....... I don't want any back lash or critisim .... if someone wants to know more .......... they can PM me ...... and if there is no interest ....... just leave the "bone" lay.

Best regards

Three 44s

Wise Owl
10-03-2016, 09:10 AM

https://www.carfax.com/vehicles/1J8GW68J74C108321-used-2004-jeep-grand-cherokee-overland--riverdale

This one is now sold. Back to looking again.

The GMC Terrain was back on the lot again this weekend but it's still $12,500 and probably not a good buy due to it being in an accident. Just not something we feel comfortable getting.

The total for yesterday was the same as Saturdays. $2765 so far this morning.

God bless all who have given us help and understand what a bad place we are in. Rock/hard place sums it up. Time to replace the old 1998 ford is running out.

Thumbcocker
10-03-2016, 01:46 PM
Good work all. We are almost 1/3 of the way to where we need to be in a little over 2 weeks. The clock is running so let's get this thing done.

Wise Owl
10-03-2016, 05:43 PM
I was told that I should relate the following to our family here at Cast Boolets.

Sam just came home and said it was making a loud whining noise from the front end. Sure hope it isn't a wheel baring or similar. Those run about $450 installed. BTDT...

Just keeping it on the road at this point is getting very expensive.

Just praying we don't have to sink anything else into it now. $100 for the rubber hose to replace/repair the fill pipe into gas tank just a couple weeks ago was enough for a bit.

Please help if you can?

God bless.

Wise Owl
10-04-2016, 11:09 PM
Total so far as of today is $2614 which is minus the leftover Sophie money to pay the guys who did our firewood.

God bless

gray wolf
10-05-2016, 03:25 PM
Sam just came home and said it was making a loud whining noise from the front end. Sure hope it isn't a wheel baring or similar. Those run about $450 installed. BTDT...

Howdy men,
Well Julie just came home in tears, she had the truck checked for the noise in the front end,
It's the front left Wheel Bearing, + it chewed up the tire.

I think we can use the spare tire for a while, no way we can put a new tire on this old girl.
Gonna cost about $300+

Talk about a rock and a hard spot, here we are trying to replace it
and it's eating up the fun raiser money as we speak.
It's like we are going backwards.

I thank God she didn't blow the tire on the way home from the Market.

I need some advice men, what the heck should we do now.
We have to drive something.

Pics show the bad left front tire and underside rust, and the right side underside rust.
The rust was bad when we got the truck but it has obviously gotten worse.

Sam

Thumbcocker
10-05-2016, 09:09 PM
If every view of this thread generated $2 we would have this problem whipped.

MaryB
10-06-2016, 02:17 AM
Wish I could do more but the prices on everything have gone up so dang much... I used to get out of the grocery store for $120-140 for my months groceries and paper goods. Trip on the 3rd cost me $205 plus I got a letter that my medicare advantage plan prescription copays are going up 25% and the premiums up 5%... but we have no inflation according to Obama!

WILCO
10-06-2016, 12:43 PM
10 Best Used Cars Under $5,000

http://www.autobytel.com/car-buying-guides/features/10-best-used-cars-under-5-000-129256/

peachhead
10-06-2016, 01:05 PM
Is the YouCaring page still the best place to donate?

https://www.youcaring.com/sam-and-julie-653809?WT.mc_id=CP;EM;DRP;drp-org-rtfrlive_120715_sfb&utm_source=EM&utm_medium=DRP&utm_campaign=drp-org-rtfrlive_120715_sfb

shooterg
10-06-2016, 01:31 PM
Sent a pittance on the youcare deal. If I hit the lottery this weekend I'll just buy a Jeep and drive it up there to you guys !

gray wolf
10-06-2016, 01:38 PM
Is the YouCaring page still the best place to donate?

https://www.youcaring.com/sam-and-julie-653809?WT.mc_id=CP;EM;DRP;drp-org-rtfrlive_120715_sfb&utm_source=EM&utm_medium=DRP&utm_campaign=drp-org-rtfrlive_120715_sfb

Yes or pm us for our PayPal email or snail mail address. It all works.

gray wolf
10-06-2016, 01:39 PM
Sent a pittance on the youcare deal. If I hit the lottery this weekend I'll just buy a Jeep and drive it up there to you guys !

Got it. And there is no such thing as a pittance.......

We will accept deliveries....... :mrgreen:

Julie and Sam.......lol

Kidding of course.......gotta find a laugh somewhere today.

peachhead
10-06-2016, 01:49 PM
I am in. Wish I was closer to you, I could help more.

Mtnfolk75
10-06-2016, 05:05 PM
Sam or Julie,

I paid for the Lyman #2 Lead Auction #2 from RogerDat, via PayPal last night. It hasn't cleared my bank yet, so just wanted to make sure you received it.

Thanx

gray wolf
10-06-2016, 05:23 PM
We got it this morning. Thank you.

Sam and Julie

Sam or Julie,

I paid for the Lyman #2 Lead Auction #2 from RogerDat, via PayPal last night. It hasn't cleared my bank yet, so just wanted to make sure you received it.

Thanx

Thumbcocker
10-06-2016, 08:03 PM
How hard is it to replace a wheel bearing in the truck so they wont be stranded before we get our target met?

gray wolf
10-06-2016, 08:30 PM
The wheel bearing is being fixed at 1pm tomorrow afternoon. And going to have to use our spare cause the tire is ruined. Hopefully it won't mess other things up as it's an all season radial versus the snow/mud tires we have had on for 4 years now. Should be ok for a bit to get to town and back. Will be around $300 or that area.

Wise Owl
10-07-2016, 04:14 PM
Just got back with the Ford. The bill came to $291.75.

Left front wheel baring..........$159.00
1.5 hr labor...........................120.00
1 tire disposal...........................4.00

They rotated the tires and we now have our spare and another radial that we had here from when we first got the Ford 5 years ago on it up front. Our mud tires are on the back. The mud tire left over is now our spare.
Didn't get to talk to the mechanic, just the gal who takes the money and pumps gas.

So, we are $291 less than this morning. But back on the road again, at least for awhile.

God bless......

Wise Owl
10-07-2016, 10:21 PM
Total donations thru PayPal and snailmail minus the truck repair is now............$2477.

God bless you all.

blackthorn
10-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Donation on the way.

Alvarez Kelly
10-09-2016, 07:29 PM
Less than 3 hours left on the fundraising auction. 150 new Starline 45 Colt cases! See the ad in swappin and sellin.

TXGunNut
10-09-2016, 09:43 PM
Haven't seen this thread, bump for a good cause.

Wise Owl
10-10-2016, 09:44 PM
Total donations thru PayPal and snail mail is $2590. Obviously no snail mail today tho.

God Bless you all.

Wise Owl
10-11-2016, 10:46 PM
Total donations thru PayPal and snail mail is now $2730.
While we were at the PO this afternoon we got a chance to look over a Ford Explorer. We both liked it a lot. Not as big as we have now but still enough room in the back for the girls and to put stuff like groceries and such. I have been looking at vehicles on CarMax off and on and the Explorers look doable, "maybe". 4 wheel drive and come with an 8 cylinder engine which we HAVE to have to get up the mtn roads in the winter. Some of these roads have a very steep grade to them. And with a logging truck on your backside you need to get out of the way or get run down. (they drive like they own the roads)

Anyways, just throwing it out there. Pretty sure that is what we are looking for. Something around a 2006/07 with 100,000 miles or so on it. They are out there. Just need to keep shopping till things can happen.

Oh, the check engine light came on yesterday just for a little more excitement in our life. Mechanic is out of town till next Monday and the guy who is running the garage is like talking to a stone so, will wait to see what the boss says..

God bless you all.

shaper
10-11-2016, 11:22 PM
The Explorer is a good choice. But check and see which engine is in it. There are two types of V8 engines. They are the over head valve engine and the double over head cam engine. If the timing chain needs to be replaced in the over head cam the engine must be removed to do the work. If it has over 100,000 miles on it I would ask if the timing chain has been replaced. If not I would look for one that has the over head valve engine. I went through this with my daughters Explorer.

Wise Owl
10-11-2016, 11:36 PM
Thank you dear friend for the advice. We will definitely keep that in mind.

The Explorer is a good choice. But check and see which engine is in it. There are two types of V8 engines. They are the over head valve engine and the double over head cam engine. If the timing chain needs to be replaced in the over head cam the engine must be removed to do the work. If it has over 100,000 miles on it I would ask if the timing chain has been replaced. If not I would look for one that has the over head valve engine. I went through this with my daughters Explorer.

WILCO
10-11-2016, 11:59 PM
Best Used SUV’s Under $5,000

http://www.autobytel.com/sport-utility-vehicles/car-buying-guides/best-used-suv-s-under-5-000-125193/

MaryB
10-12-2016, 12:27 AM
Watch the Fords, some years had that sealed transmission that was a major pain! Friend bought an explorer, great body, ran great... he is on the third transmission and it is acting up now!

shoot-n-lead
10-12-2016, 12:30 AM
Watch the Fords, some years had that sealed transmission that was a major pain! Friend bought an explorer, great body, ran great... he is on the third transmission and it is acting up now!

He has a mechanic problem.

KReider477
10-12-2016, 02:15 PM
My family is in far northern WI but if you need a lay over spot we have lots of space.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rl69
10-13-2016, 09:24 PM
Bump!!

Wise Owl
10-14-2016, 08:55 AM
Total donations thru PayPal and snail mail is now $2889.

Going to see what the check engine thing is on the Expedition today. Still looking at Explorers for sale.
God bless you all.

And yes, Thumbcocker, we are hanging in there.

tomme boy
10-14-2016, 10:12 AM
Hate to say it but Ford's are what keep small service stations in business.

Wise Owl
10-14-2016, 12:44 PM
Hate to say it but Ford's are what keep small service stations in business.

According to our mechanic it's the Chevies and GMC's that do it for him.

Our Ford Expedition is 19 years old and only 185,000 miles on it. Engine still strong, takes the hills well. It's rusted out because it lived ALL of it's life in the Rust Belt where for 7 months out of the year the road crews coat the roads with salt. They use liquid sodium cloride on the dirt roads in the summer to cut the dust down. It's a constant barage of rust causing salt that kills the vehicles up here in the NE. And that you can take to the bank. The things that have given way in the Expedition are UNDERNEATH and rusted out.

My brother worked at the Chevy plant building trucks and SUV's for 35 years. He has not owned a Chevy since his teens. Always a Ford truck for him and a Ford car for his wife. He knows Fords are built better and will not own a Chevy.

Wise Owl
10-15-2016, 10:24 PM
Latest total from PayPal and snail mail is now $2989.

The garage put a gal of antifreeze into the radiator yesterday. Light is still on but no one disconnected the battery cable to reset the computer. So we shall see.

Just to throw more pressure on us tonight, our well finally went dry due to the drought. More info in the Chapel on that. Praying the Ford can make the 10 miles every couple days to the spring to fill water jugs up.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?318253-The-drought-has-gotten-to-our-well-Dried-up-tonight

We really need some sort of break here Lord. Please if you pray, do so for us.

God bless.

MaryB
10-15-2016, 11:10 PM
When it rains it pours... I know your pain, trying to pay off dental work and ended in the ER last sat night with a 103.6 fever. Bad leg infection in the leg I had a DVT in 8 years ago so it has bad circulation. ER most of Sat night, thy wanted to admit me but I said no, pumped me full of IV antibiotics then went back Sunday for an antibiotic shot. Now taking oral antibiotics... have some venous ulcers on that leg that were probably the infection trigger, they do not want to heal fast. Right now in limbo mode waiting for blood work to ID the bacteria in my bloodstream to make sure I am on the right antibiotic, and waiting to see the wound care clinic for the ulcers.

tommag
10-15-2016, 11:26 PM
Too bad everything rusts out on you up there. I bought a 99 explorer v8 awd for my Seattle car. 170000 miles and still a good machine. Sorry I spooked you on the transfer idea, it was the easiest way I knew of to send money. I'll try your caring thing to send a little more. Good luck.

Wise Owl
10-16-2016, 12:24 AM
Too bad everything rusts out on you up there. I bought a 99 explorer v8 awd for my Seattle car. 170000 miles and still a good machine. Sorry I spooked you on the transfer idea, it was the easiest way I knew of to send money. I'll try your caring thing to send a little more. Good luck.

This is why we are looking for a newer model car. The one we have is 19 years old and just plain worn out on the underside.
We have thought to have it undercoated if we can find one that is from down south of Maine and the states near us. I actually saw one that had been done already.

As to the transfer idea. Thank you for understanding.

MaryB
10-16-2016, 11:23 PM
Sounds like MN roads, by spring my truck is white from road salt.

gray wolf
10-17-2016, 06:16 PM
Total from snail mail and PayPal is now a total of $ 3259.

God bless

Well is still dry.

Wise Owl
10-18-2016, 08:44 PM
No snail mail or Paypal today.

God bless

Thumbcocker
10-19-2016, 08:44 AM
Come on folks winter is coming.

Wise Owl
10-19-2016, 11:05 PM
Total from snail mail and PayPal donations is $3469.

God bless

tommag
10-19-2016, 11:56 PM
Mailed a contribution in monday, should be 2 more there by Thursday or Friday.

Wise Owl
10-20-2016, 11:25 AM
Total from snail mail and PayPal donations is $3739.

God bless

Julie

gray wolf
10-21-2016, 02:02 PM
I want to say a very large ( 50 caliber ) thank you to everyone
that has helped Julie and I in this difficult end ever to get a new ( used ) S U V

Men if it were just me I would drive anything, if it didn't go I would push it.
OK, I guess at 74 I wouldn't push it to far, but you get the meaning.

My wish it to have a vehicle that she can drive and drive safely,
One that would not take to heavy a toll with monthly repairs.

She does most of the driving now I just want her to feel safe.

My wife doesn't ask for much, doesn't spend much, and does most of the taking care off around the place.

So I have kind of stayed out of most of the posting, not like I'm not here.

I guess I want her to feel like it's for her.

So yes I am here, in the background, but here.
I have said thank --- to all you fine folks for many things, and I happily say it again.

Thank you folks for all the help.

Sam

Wise Owl
10-22-2016, 09:52 AM
Total from snail mail and PayPal donations is $3759.

God bless

leadbutt
10-22-2016, 01:22 PM
Ford, Chevy, GMC or Honda. Its not the make that's the prob, its the models. The Expedition is a good vehicle, but not all Expeditions. I know of no one that has a good Explorer. Moms owned one and so has dad. As for ford trans and power steering ... yea, they are known for issues but not all of them. My Expedition has 220k miles on the trans and is getting ready for the 3rd power steering pump. When it dies I will be buying the same make, model and year. I say to stick with the devil you know and look for another Expedition. Just my two cents. I hope everything works out well with all that you guys have going on. If I had it atm so would you but all I can afford is sympathies and well wishes.

B. Lumpkin
10-22-2016, 01:49 PM
Is the expedition worth anything as a trade in or for sale?

Wise Owl
10-22-2016, 01:49 PM
We like our Expedition. If we could swing another one, we would do it but with the lower hrsp 8 cylinder. The 5.4 had problems which we fixed most of.
The rust issue came with it when we bought it, hence the looking for something that has lived in the south away from the rust/salt the roads states.

The Expedition is actually large enough to handle our dogs and groceries and larger items that we have to haul home from time to time. A lot of the other SUV's wouldn't be able to handle that.

As to Explorers. I have been getting different opinions on those too. Some people love em and some had issues. You can get lemons with lots of different makes/models.

Wise Owl
10-22-2016, 01:52 PM
Is the expedition worth anything as a trade in or for sale?

Been thinking about that. We sold the Dodge pickup on Craigslist as a parts truck. Some guy gave us $500 to use it to build a plow truck. He had the exact same year/model already and said he figured out of the two of them he could build one good one.
Not sure how much to ask for it but we can't sell it until we get something else to replace it with. We live too far out to be without wheels with our medical issues.

Wise Owl
10-22-2016, 03:09 PM
Been drooling over this Expedition for a few days now. According to the Car Dealer's website they want $9,900 for it. But on Carfax they have dropped it to $5,900. It's nice. Even has a moose/deer catcher on the front......lol. Something not to be sneezed at in Maine.....

https://www.carfax.com/vehicles/1FMFU18525LA20238-used-2005-ford-expedition-eddie-bauer--rahway

I really like this one. And it started it's life in SC and then went to NJ which is ok. I don't see any signs of rust on it but a call would be made and maybe someone from our family here could take a look if they lived nearby?

Thumbcocker
10-22-2016, 03:25 PM
Let's get this checked out for Sam and Julie. I know we can make it happen

Wise Owl
10-22-2016, 09:02 PM
Total from snail mail and PayPal donations is $3789.

God bless

Circuit Rider
10-23-2016, 01:58 PM
Sam and Julie, PM inbound. CR

WILCO
10-23-2016, 04:27 PM
I liked the final picture in the preview line up.

https://img.vast.com/-801160394344895756/46/t/600x-

Wise Owl
10-23-2016, 10:25 PM
I liked the final picture in the preview line up.

https://img.vast.com/-801160394344895756/46/t/600x-

Ayup. Real pretty like.

Wise Owl
10-24-2016, 11:50 AM
Sam called the dealer of the Expedition above.

The salesman said it would be ok for someone to come check it out. Mechanic or forum member with mechanical knowledge to check things over. Look for rust, make sure wheel bearings are good, no muffler issues, brakes, etc. Test drive it.

He said he probably could get it up to us. For a price. Better if someone could tow or drive it up.

Out the door cost, (includes title and taxes) is $6500. Couldn't get him any lower on that.

So, we are short the rest of the money to buy it and definitely need a forum member to do the inspection for us. The dealership is in Rahway, New Jersey. That means a member who lives in that area.

They have had the car on the lot for 2 months now. Pretty sure they just want to move it. They want $1000 deposit (probably not refundable) to hold it till we get things done and if it checks out ok, to buy it and get it up here.

That's what we know on this one.

Any help would be appreciated with this. Probably a dream as we not in a position to buy it yet. Total in the car fund is $3789.

Just putting this out there for you all to consider. It may not be mechanically sound or is rusty underneath. We don't know without someone checking it out for us.

God bless you all.

Julie and Sam

Thumbcocker
10-24-2016, 01:19 PM
If this turns out to be "the" vehicle we could make this happen. I think it would be easier to motivate the whole Boolits family with a set goal in sight. So who can check out this rig and let Sam and Julie know what it needs. Lets bring this project home.

Wise Owl
10-24-2016, 11:07 PM
No update on any donations today. Nothing to report.

Note: It's snowing now. Been spitting snow for the past couple days. Temps in low 30's.

God bless you all.

Wise Owl
10-25-2016, 10:05 PM
Donation total for today thru snail mail and Paypal is $3809.

God bless.

Wise Owl
10-27-2016, 10:20 PM
Donation total for today thru snail mail and Paypal is $3909.

God bless.

Wise Owl
10-28-2016, 11:03 PM
Donation total for today thru snail mail and Paypal is $4009.

God bless you all.

BrassMagnet
10-28-2016, 11:11 PM
Have we had anyone able to check this vehicle out and see if it is a good choice?
Anyone gotten a Carfax on it?

If this one turns out to be the one I can send in a donation.
Now who else is ready to help if this turns out to be the one?

Wise Owl
10-28-2016, 11:26 PM
Have we had anyone able to check this vehicle out and see if it is a good choice?
Yes.

Anyone gotten a Carfax on it?
https://www.carfax.com/vehicles/1FMFU18525LA20238-used-2005-ford-expedition-eddie-bauer--rahway
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=CUL_1&vin=1FMFU18525LA20238&source=CFX&dealerid=8IXXQLT001&recordid=-801160394344895756&zip=07065

If this one turns out to be the one I can send in a donation.
Now who else is ready to help if this turns out to be the one?

Info you asked for is above. We have a member who offered to go check it out next weekend, we think.

Strtspdlx
10-30-2016, 12:24 PM
If you could pm me info for when someone is supposed to go look at it I can try to arrange my schedule to try and make it out there. I'm about 2 hours from Rahway but two heads are usually better then one.

Wise Owl
10-30-2016, 05:36 PM
If you could pm me info for when someone is supposed to go look at it I can try to arrange my schedule to try and make it out there. I'm about 2 hours from Rahway but two heads are usually better then one.

That is very kind of you, Sir. It was supposed to be this coming Saturday. I will ask the other fella if you two can arrange it between you. A mechanic such as yourself taking a looksee would be great!

Wise Owl
10-30-2016, 10:28 PM
Donation total for today is $4109.

God bless you all.

xbeeman412
10-31-2016, 09:12 PM
Bump

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?319456-Pig-hunt-auction&p=3828483#post3828483

Wise Owl
10-31-2016, 11:16 PM
Bump

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?319456-Pig-hunt-auction&p=3828483#post3828483

God bless you and thank you!

gray wolf
11-01-2016, 12:43 PM
Thank you folks,
I mean thank you from all the depths of my heart.
This offer to help my wife and I goes way beyond, beyond anything some other people would believe.

Now someone has put up a Pig hunt, I mean com-on, who does things like this ?
You folks do, and your the only ones that I know of with such big hearts.

At first I didn't want to do this, especially after you men help us once before.

But with my ill health and Julie's Ill health I had to face the fact that without a truck to get to the Doctor or shopping we didn't have a chance. Also you know what ?
I'm going to be greedy, not the way some folks might think Greedy in a way that after the doctor appointments and the shopping, I want to take my wife for a little drive, just her and the two dogs.

Now it looks like because of you all we may actually be able to get some transportation, and some folks have offered to check out a vehicle for us. That could save many problems on having to fix it before we even drive it.

I all-way's try to find other words, words that put stars around thank you, but thank you seems to be the universal way to say,
I'm truly grateful, I'm humbled, and beholding.

So how ever this turns out I want you all to know it has not gone UN-noticed, in our minds and in our hearts.

Thank you

G W

Wise Owl
11-01-2016, 11:38 PM
Donation total for today is $4209.

God bless you all.

MaryB
11-02-2016, 12:11 AM
I think many of us grew up in the time when extended multi generation family under one roof was common so we know how important it is to help family! Cast Boolits is like an extended(often dysfunctional lol ) family! So we pitch in to help where it is needed.

BrassMagnet
11-04-2016, 08:34 AM
We have a good Carfax.
Is this the weekend when it gets inspected?

Wise Owl
11-04-2016, 08:58 AM
We have a good Carfax.

Hope so. That's what has been discussed thru pm's.

BrassMagnet
11-04-2016, 09:05 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by BrassMagnet http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=3831959#post3831959)
We have a good Carfax.

Reply by Wise Owl:

Do update this thread with the results so if this is the one we can start throwing money at it until this problem goes away!

Wise Owl
11-04-2016, 10:45 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by BrassMagnet http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=3831959#post3831959)
We have a good Carfax.

Reply by Wise Owl:

Do update this thread with the results so if this is the one we can start throwing money at it until this problem goes away!

Will do !

Wise Owl
11-04-2016, 05:42 PM
We called the dealership this afternoon and somebody may have beatened us to it. There has been a deposit put down on it so, the salesman said he would call us back in a couple days if it doesn't work out for the other person.

So, back to looking again.

God bless you all.

Wise Owl
11-04-2016, 06:08 PM
Total donations via PayPal and snail mail is now at $6509.

God bless you all.

Wise Owl
11-07-2016, 04:53 PM
We won't know for sure if the other guy got the Expedition till late Weds afternoon. Stay tuned for more then.

Total donations for PayPal and snailmail is now $6544.

Wise Owl
11-09-2016, 08:24 PM
The other guy didn't come up with the cash. Talking to the salesmen again. Waiting on a call back from them. Probably tomorrow. We really like this car. It's just plain sweet.

lightman
11-09-2016, 08:48 PM
How close are you to having it covered?

Wise Owl
11-09-2016, 09:04 PM
Very close but we figure it will need tires and there is insurance to deal with plus registration and paying to get it up here. So, more help may be needed with that. But we have around $6500 to bargain with on hand.

BrassMagnet
11-09-2016, 09:12 PM
I figure you also need gas to take the doggies out for a ride, some dinner and ice cream funds, etc.

I'm in. Now where do I send it?

Thumbcocker
11-09-2016, 09:24 PM
Undercoating?

benellinut
11-09-2016, 09:48 PM
The other guy didn't come up with the cash. Talking to the salesmen again. Waiting on a call back from them. Probably tomorrow. We really like this car. It's just plain sweet.

I worked in dealerships half my life, most salesmen work on commission. I'd strongly suggest you go in unannounced, avoid the salesman knowing your there and ask to speak with the "dealer principal" (owner), face to face is better then a call. Explain why you want the vehicle and ask if they can help with savings somewhere on the deal. I'd be very surprised if they didn't help, worse that can happen is they say no.

Wise Owl
11-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Undercoating?

Won't know that until we get someone to go take a look at it personally. We live in Maine. The car is in Rahway, NJ. I think we may have a volunteer. Waiting to hear back from him.

The guy we have been talking to was off today. He will be back tomorrow. We will call early tomorrow and talk more. Gonna need to put a deposit on it, post haste, just to keep other potentials away. So, early call and get this started.

If anyone else lives in the northern end of Jersey or lower NY that can make a trip to Rahway, please, please pm me.

Thank you.

Brass Magnet. Pm on the way.

Wise Owl
11-10-2016, 08:22 AM
Please if anyone here lives near Rahway, we need a volunteer to go check out this car for us. Check for rust, give it a test drive, etc. Make sure it's a decent ride for us.

Please?

God bless and thank you.

Julie

JimB..
11-10-2016, 09:36 AM
Sorry can't help, I'm in NC, but you might look for an auto repair shop that gets good reviews and call them, explain the situation, and ask the manager if one of their guys would be willing to go put it on a lift, take some pictures and drive it around. Shop might not want the business, but for a couple hundred bucks one of the guys might do it.

Not perfect, but it's something.

Wise Owl
11-10-2016, 10:02 AM
Yeah, it might have to come down to that. Gonna do a search on repair shops in Rahway.

Sorry can't help, I'm in NC, but you might look for an auto repair shop that gets good reviews and call them, explain the situation, and ask the manager if one of their guys would be willing to go put it on a lift, take some pictures and drive it around. Shop might not want the business, but for a couple hundred bucks one of the guys might do it.

Not perfect, but it's something.

JimB..
11-10-2016, 10:08 AM
Yeah, it might have to come down to that. Gonna do a search on repair shops in Rahway.

The best one I saw looked to be a tire shop, STS Tire or Mavis Discount Tire. The best shop when I searched auto repair didn't seem great, but it's had to tell with so many review online just being fake.

benellinut
11-10-2016, 10:37 AM
The chances of getting a master or B grade tech from a tire shop is really slim, I did take a job at one for a couple months when I was between jobs but I can tell you most of those guys are low grade mechanics, no offense intended we all have to start somewhere. I would look elsewhere, really wish I could help but the distance and my health prevents me. Is there no vehicles closer, so much to gamble on when people you don't know are involved, just saying. Pay that money, have the vehicle trucked to you and then find there is a problem, you might be faced with trucking it back to the dealer for a resolution or paying for unknown problems. Have you run a carfax on the VIN or asked the dealer if they have any history on file?

Wise Owl
11-10-2016, 11:27 AM
CarFax info on car.

The chances of getting a master or B grade tech from a tire shop is really slim, I did take a job at one for a couple months when I was between jobs but I can tell you most of those guys are low grade mechanics, no offense intended we all have to start somewhere. I would look elsewhere, really wish I could help but the distance and my health prevents me. Is there no vehicles closer, so much to gamble on when people you don't know are involved, just saying. Pay that money, have the vehicle trucked to you and then find there is a problem, you might be faced with trucking it back to the dealer for a resolution or paying for unknown problems. Have you run a carfax on the VIN or asked the dealer if they have any history on file?

benellinut
11-10-2016, 12:11 PM
CarFax info on car.

Don't see anything bad there, no accidents reported, no total loss title showing. Dealership service records will show, that's a plus. There are a few service records but that's it, that can mean they did it themselves, it was done at a repair shop that doesn't have records carfax can get or they didn't service it as they should have.

In a perfect situation, if your going to get someone to look at it, I would choose a tech with years on the line from a Ford dealership. Those guys know them inside out and they know what common problems that year and model has where a guy who works on all makes and models may not know what important and costly issues to look for. A call to some local Ford dealer service dept's, explain the situation to the service manager, ask them if one of the good techs would be interested in making some easy money on the side, it might net you a tech who would look at it for $100 and offer to take care of the manager for hooking you up. Very common for tech's to take on side jobs, I made 50% of my money working on cars on the side. Just wearing my work shirt in public with the dealer service dept logo people would come up to me and ask if I did work on the side. I had people approach me right at the dealer, there I had to draw the line and decline, no stealing customers from the shop, being fired for that will follow you forever.

Seriously, I hope I'm helping, if not tell me and I'll clam up.

Wise Owl
11-10-2016, 05:41 PM
We found a repair shop with 28 years experience. People bring them cars to check out a lot. They will pull the tires and check brakes, bearings, etc in there. Also check the exhaust system, struts, shocks, etc. They are also going to put it on the computer and check that stuff out. Said it would take about an hour to get it done. They are not far from the other dealership at all. So, we are working those details out.

When we spoke to them this morning, (dealership) they had it inside putting a new timing chain on it. Apparently they did a 21 point check on it yesterday and found that to need changed out. I think they know we are serious about making sure it is all ok.

I will keep you all updated. This seems the best we can do at this point.

ph4570
11-11-2016, 05:58 PM
Make sure you put eyes on the paperwork associated with the new timing chain (yea, I trust car dealers about as much as I would trust a Clinton). If it is truly being replaced that is a good thing as it is not uncommon for them to have issues at or before that mileage on those engines.

benellinut
11-11-2016, 07:23 PM
Make sure you put eyes on the paperwork associated with the new timing chain (yea, I trust car dealers about as much as I would trust a Clinton). If it is truly being replaced that is a good thing as it is not uncommon for them to have issues at or before that mileage on those engines.

Your right, time belt yes but chains should last as long as the rest of the engine. When I read that I looked into it to see if it might be a belt and maybe the salesman misspoke, it is chain and it's common with that engine, I found Ford had a TSB on the chain and tensioner failing. Goes back to what I said about techs who work at a dealership knowing the things to look for on the brand they sell and service daily, they know the common issues, some of which would be very uncommon for other brands. If they do the job right and aren't cheap about it they'll replace the water pump too, has to be removed to replace the chain. Also found this during my research. http://gotaclassaction.com/ford-sued-over-latent-defects-in-vehicles-equipped-with-the-5-4l-engine/

Wise Owl
11-11-2016, 10:20 PM
We talked to a salesman today about the car. He said it's still in the shop waiting on a part that had to be ordered today. He said it was the timing belt or maybe the chain. I really am not sure tonight. Not feeling to great due to the bad weather and low pressure system. Bad headache and neckache.

Anyway, we will know more tomorrow on the car.

Total for Paypal and snail mail is now at $6764. No word on price yet as the salesman we were dealing with is off till Monday.

Bad weather up here with several cars off into the ditch due to icy roads. Winter is here. Snowing pellets all day and really cold and windy. Hoping it warms up a bit again so I can get into town to due laundry soon. (no, we don't have a washer or dryer in our little cabin. No room)

God bless you all.

MaryB
11-12-2016, 12:20 AM
Down to 27 here at 10pm so winter is trying to come in here. Was warm enough today for me to paint some fascia trim I replaced on the porch and to paint the door trim on the front door I replaced this spring.

Ford should have a class action on the 5.4 blowing out spark plugs! I know a dozen locals who had it happen!

Wise Owl
11-12-2016, 11:55 AM
Ok, after reading all the reports from people trying to sue Ford over the 5.4 liter engine for the issues on the cam phasers and timing, we are NOT going to try to buy the Expedition or any Expedition with a 5.4. Looking at Explorers again with a 6 cylinder engine but with 4 wheel drive. Tired of the runaround with that dealership anyway. Unless the were to replace the engine in that car with a new rebuilt engine with better parts, it's no deal for anyone buying it. Pretty car with major issues in our minds.

Back to Carfax to hunt. Not settled on Explorers but looking. Maybe back to a Jeep or whatever. Definitely not a 5.4 Triton in anything as Ford is standing behind that motor.

Alvarez Kelly
11-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Ok, after reading all the reports from people trying to sue Ford over the 5.4 liter engine for the issues on the cam phasers and timing, we are NOT going to try to buy the Expedition or any Expedition with a 5.4. Looking at Explorers again with a 6 cylinder engine but with 4 wheel drive. Tired of the runaround with that dealership anyway. Unless the were to replace the engine in that car with a new rebuilt engine with better parts, it's no deal for anyone buying it. Pretty car with major issues in our minds.

Back to Carfax to hunt. Not settled on Explorers but looking. Maybe back to a Jeep or whatever. Definitely not a 5.4 Triton in anything as Ford is standing behind that motor.

You may be letting the tiny vocal minority scare you off. I owned a 5.4 Triton powered F150. I heard all the spark plug horror stories too. When I asked my local mechanic, he told me that he was usually successful replacing them as long as he followed some common sense procedures. He did, and it wasn't a problem.

Just as he predicted, the cam chain started making noise at about 150K. He told me it was the worn out cam chain guides. I was already planning on buying a new Ram, so I decided to sell it, otherwise I would have gotten it fixed.

Just one point on the cam phasers... The engine oil must be changed at proper service intervals with the oil recommended by Ford. My local garage has seen failures of cam phasers from many manufacturers. The one thing they all had in common... their owners used the in n out, quickie oil change places and used the cheapest oil options, or didn't change the oil much at all. He has seen cam phasers fail on GM cars at 60K due to cheap oils being used. If Ford says you need a certain oil, and the owner chooses not to use that oil to save a few bucks, and the cam phasers fail... whose fault is that?

benellinut
11-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Wise,

I agree, that is a really nice looking rig, I'm sure your disappointed, I can tell you have a lot of time invested into all this and God Bless You for it. I think you made a solid choice and avoided a good chance of a lot of future trouble and expense. Hang in there, a good one will come along. FYI, I drive an older Jeep Cherokee, had if for a few years now, it was going to be just a temporary vehicle but other then normal maintenance, wear and tear repairs it's been much better then I thought it would, that 4.0 straight six has impressed me.

benellinut
11-12-2016, 12:50 PM
You may be letting the tiny vocal minority scare you off. I owned a 5.4 Triton powered F150. I heard all the spark plug horror stories too. When I asked my local mechanic, he told me that he was usually successful replacing them as long as he followed some common sense procedures. He did, and it wasn't a problem.

Just as he predicted, the cam chain started making noise at about 150K. He told me it was the worn out cam chain guides. I was already planning on buying a new Ram, so I decided to sell it, otherwise I would have gotten it fixed.

Just one point on the cam phasers... The engine oil must be changed at proper service intervals with the oil recommended by Ford. My local garage has seen failures of cam phasers from many manufacturers. The one thing they all had in common... their owners used the in n out, quickie oil change places and used the cheapest oil options, or didn't change the oil much at all. He has seen cam phasers fail on GM cars at 60K due to cheap oils being used. If Ford says you need a certain oil, and the owner chooses not to use that oil to save a few bucks, and the cam phasers fail... whose fault is that?

Well your pointing out the exact concern, if the prior owner/s didn't care for it as needed you could be buying a vehicle that's going to need a lot of repairs and they are known common issues with this engine. There no records showing it was taken care of properly in the carfax report so how it was cared for is unknown. The dealer is replacing the chain just to sell it, some red flags here, it's a roll of the dice. Add in the selling dealer is far away, if an issue came up under the short used car warranty your faced with taking it back to them for repairs or paying out of pocket.

Alvarez Kelly
11-12-2016, 02:02 PM
Well your pointing out the exact concern, if the prior owner/s didn't care for it as needed you could be buying a vehicle that's going to need a lot of repairs and they are known common issues with this engine. There no records showing it was taken care of properly in the carfax report so how it was cared for is unknown. The dealer is replacing the chain just to sell it, some red flags here, it's a roll of the dice. Add in the selling dealer is far away, if an issue came up under the short used car warranty your faced with taking it back to them for repairs or paying out of pocket.

I agree THIS vehicle is suspect. My larger point was not to dismiss out of hand ALL 5.4L Triton powered vehicles.

gray wolf
11-12-2016, 06:14 PM
Howdy men,
Again I can't say thank you enough.
without all the great comments and knowledge here we could have made a huge Boo-Boo.
As you all can imagine we have no reserve chute in this end-ever, talk about pressure.

I really appreciate your watching out for Julie and I , I really do.

Knowing our time is running short has added a little extra drama to it all.
Our sticker runs out in January, one of the worst months for snow and general all around crappy weather.

So we are trying to get this done as soon as possible within reason so we don't make a hasty mistake.
I think without your advise and good recommendations we just may have done that.

So please have patients with us and we will keep looking and seeking your input.

G W

MaryB
11-13-2016, 12:41 AM
First thing I do on buying a used truck is change the oil. Even if the dealership claims they just changed it. I used premium synthetic oil and a mid range(cost wise) filter. Really extends the life of high mileage engines!

rl69
11-14-2016, 09:52 PM
Bump!

Wise Owl
11-15-2016, 08:53 AM
Still looking at cars for sale further south than us. Called about an Explorer on Sunday but it was already spoken for. Saw a Jeep Commander last night that looked promising that was clean and on a special price. Will call about it today. Been looking at Dodge Durango's also.
Will continue looking till we find a good one. Then figure out how to get it looked at and if ok, gotten north to us. It's a long process as you all are figuring out. But, we live up here and I see what is driving around. Most have rust issues. Need something without the rust.

God bless, we will keep you posted.

Wise Owl
11-16-2016, 12:20 PM
We found a Ford Explorer in Leesburg VA that might suit our needs. We also found an auto repair shop to check it out for us.

I just did a search on car transport and it looks like almost $1000 to transport it up here. Are there any members here who might like to come visit us and bring us our car if we buy it? Maybe on a tow bar thing from U-haul? Please pm us if you can do this or are interested.

Just checking out the options needed to purchase this car and get it home if it checks out ok.

Wayne Smith
11-17-2016, 11:57 AM
Now I wish I was retired! I'd jump on the chance to drive it north and fly home.

Wise Owl
11-17-2016, 12:33 PM
Now I wish I was retired! I'd jump on the chance to drive it north and fly home.

Lol, I wish you were retired also, Wayne! Would love to meet you in person.

benellinut
11-17-2016, 12:55 PM
You may already know this but I'll throw it out there in case, if you flat tow a vehicle first check the owners manual under "Towing" to see if it's required to pull the driveshaft. With some vehicles it will damage to the transmission or the four wheel transfer case if you don't. If the driveshaft is a slip yoke type you'll need to plug the tail shaft to prevent loss of fluid and keep road dirt & rain water out. This is a pic of a slip yoke in the tail shaft of a transmission.
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Transmission_and_Transfer_Case/Slip_Yoke_Eliminators/SlipYoke.jpg

The plugs are call transmission tail shaft plugs, they can be purchased in some of the better auto parts supply stores, online or maybe pick up one from a mechanic at a repair shop, they probably have spares kicking around. Rebuilt trans come with plugs installed, I always threw them in my tool box, handy to have. They come in various styles, these are a few examples.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/lisle-5-piece-transmission-transaxle-plugs-lis23400/22981329-P?searchTerm=transmission+plugs

https://s1.yimg.com/hx/img/200/4424c5dd-ca8c-3699-b585-eec96c956787 https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M955efcc902097eabbf18556d06256087o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=217&h=164 https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Mc3364194af8268d37e52c10873971b10o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300 https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M0f0538e9e7c2fb4dde8b8aeae42f182do0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=202&h=152

In a pinch warp and tape rags around the tail shaft, make sure you check the fluid level after you re-install the driveshaft.

Wise Owl
11-17-2016, 05:17 PM
Thank you for the details. I knew that it might have to be disconnected, just wasn't sure how.

After looking at that Explorer we decided it was just a tad too old and more miles on it than we would feel comfortable with. So, I have been back hunting again. Still looking at Dodge Durangos and Explorers right now. I also looked around at local cars being driven to judge the size of them and if they would be big enough for us. Plus we are concerned about hrsp in some of the cars. Need at least an 8 cyl. to get up the hills. Sam had a Toyota truck with a 6 and it really struggled in the winter. Can't have that if the roads are snowy and the two big hills are really a long way up and down them. Very long, steep grade. So, while a pickup would be great, it has to be an SUV for us, and it has to have some guts to it.

God bless.......

MaryB
11-18-2016, 01:47 AM
I owned one of these for years, not much would stop it with the 351 engine! Cold driving in winter though!

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?photoid=198169&.jpg=

shaper
11-18-2016, 08:07 AM
Sam. You probably have done this but had to ask. Have you looked to see what the local police, forest rangers, first responders are driving? Another thing you can do is park at a gas station and see what comes in the most.
Didn't sleep last night and my mind wet to your problem.

Wise Owl
11-18-2016, 09:28 AM
Sam. You probably have done this but had to ask. Have you looked to see what the local police, forest rangers, first responders are driving? Another thing you can do is park at a gas station and see what comes in the most.
Didn't sleep last night and my mind wet to your problem.

Everyone drives either a 4 wheel drive pickup (mostly Ford F150 and Dodge Rams) or similar SUV's. All of them have V8's in them. And they use heavy duty off road tires for the mud and snow.

The only cars I see (Sam doesn't get out as much as I do) are those belonging to people from out of state. Everyone uses a 4 wheel drive vehicle of some sort. The county sheriff dept uses Ford Suv's mostly.

Wise Owl
11-18-2016, 01:39 PM
Update:

Sam stopped into our mechanic's shop in town and told him we were looking for a Ford Explorer. How much we could pay and details of what it needed on it.
Mike said he was pretty sure he could find one thru his dealer network for us. So, we now have him looking for something, without rust, won't nickle and dime us to death, etc......

Pray he finds us something soon. I am plain going crosseyed looking at cars. And exhausted over it. Mechanic (Mike) will have more options than we do here. And can put more people into looking. Plus he is a master mechanic and has worked on thousands of cars. He knows them all inside and out. He's been really good to us and I have to think he is our best bet right now.

I will keep you all posted on if/when he finds us something.

God bless....

Wise Owl
11-21-2016, 09:57 AM
Well, winter is officially here now. Two roll overs this morning on one of the state roads in the curvy part. 4 inches of wet, heavy snow and 30 degrees has all the idiots out that don't know to slow down on slippery roads. Fire dept out directing traffic till accidents clear.

Personally, I won't be going anywhere today. UNLESS, Mike the mechanic calls and tells us we have a new Explorer coming this way.

The Malamute is happy tho. This is her kind of weather, lol. Went out, did her business and then promptly laid down in the snow with a big grin on her face. The other one came to the door cause she had snow balls stuck between her toes and she hates that stuff... can't walk on those things, Mom....
(actually, Dad took care of the snow between the toes thing while Mom dealt with large, hairy dog who was soaking wet from the wet snow)

Will update on newer car when we get it. Hopefully it has winter tires on it. Gonna need them up here in this sort of stuff.

IT"S Winter in Maine.

Wise Owl
11-22-2016, 11:53 PM
Looking at an Explorer an hour and a half away. It's a 2006 but no details yet as owner is off deer hunting till Monday.....(you guys know about that sort of thing, right?)
So, waiting for that. Mechanic called today and gave us the phone number. It's a "maybe". Needs to be put on a hoist and looked at and we need to see it but due to nasty weather up here and a beater car with not so great tires, we are going to ask can the guy bring it here and let us have it for a couple days to do the look see and drive a bit.

We shall see. If you are the praying sort, that would be very nice.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Oh, total in PayPal and snail mail is now $7774. We pray it's enough.

God bless you all!

Wise Owl
11-29-2016, 09:44 AM
Not much to report at this point. Spoke to the owner of the car dealership yesterday. The Explorer is a 2006. 99,000 miles on it. Tires are almost new all season. (not sure on these until we see them. Need an aggressive tread for up here)
The guy said he had to go over the car to make sure everything is in order and working well on it. He is supposed to be bringing it up here to our mechanics shop. Our mechanic will give it the go over to make sure nothing needs fixing.
He (dealer) will take our old Expedition on trade. Not much trade value on it. He needs to see it.
If all is ok, we do the swap and get plates transferred, insured, etc.

Ok, weather wise, we have a storm incoming for today and lingering nastiness for most of this week. Snow, freezing rain today turning to rain then back to snow again. Not good weather for doing much. So, this could go into next week on the car deal. Hoping we have the cash to take care of necessaries. We "should".

At this point, we are exhausted with all of it. Praying for a good outcome.

God bless you all. Will update with any further news when we have it.

MaryB
11-30-2016, 12:05 AM
Prayers you get this settled. I know what it is like to be without wheels. I have a 50 mile round trip for everything and MN prairie in winter can be some very interesting driving! I run a very aggressive tire on the back of the truck and carry 300 pounds of sand back by the tailgate to give my 2wd F-150 traction.

Wise Owl
12-01-2016, 05:38 PM
Ok, that Explorer has a bad history. The whole 2006 year of Explorers had MAJOR issues with radiators blowing and transmissions going. This one has already had a new engine and radiator at around 55,000 and a rebuilt tranny at 62,000. Told the dealer what was up and said if he ran into a 2007 which seem to have a different motor/tranny/radiator setup to call us. Otherwise we are back looking again.

I am thinking seriously of looking at Expeditions again. Not the 2003 thru 2005's but earlier or later models.

Both of us are very disheartened and disgusted about this. Ford never stepped up to fix the issues in a recall. Lot's of really mad people out there and I "think" there is a class action lawsuit against them over the tranny stuff. One guy replaced his radiator FIVE times. At $600 a pop for parts and labor, well, that's rediculous.....

Beware any 2006 Explorers. Run away and run away fast!

Back to the search, and yes, we are trying to be very careful with the money you folks have supplied to us to buy a better car.

God bless.

BrassMagnet
12-01-2016, 06:34 PM
Ok, that Explorer has a bad history. The whole 2006 year of Explorers had MAJOR issues with radiators blowing and transmissions going. This one has already had a new engine and radiator at around 55,000 and a rebuilt tranny at 62,000. Told the dealer what was up and said if he ran into a 2007 which seem to have a different motor/tranny/radiator setup to call us. Otherwise we are back looking again.

I am thinking seriously of looking at Expeditions again. Not the 2003 thru 2005's but earlier or later models.

Both of us are very disheartened and disgusted about this. Ford never stepped up to fix the issues in a recall. Lot's of really mad people out there and I "think" there is a class action lawsuit against them over the tranny stuff. One guy replaced his radiator FIVE times. At $600 a pop for parts and labor, well, that's rediculous.....

Beware any 2006 Explorers. Run away and run away fast!

Back to the search, and yes, we are trying to be very careful with the money you folks have supplied to us to buy a better car.

God bless.

Well done!

Smoke4320
12-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Wise Owl .. glad you are taking your time .. better to wait and get a car that will last than a constant money drain

1989toddm
12-01-2016, 07:18 PM
Well done!

Wise Owl .. glad you are taking your time .. better to wait and get a car that will last than a constant money drain

Amen. Stay strong. I know the drain and strain of looking constantly for an option when they all seem to be bad options. Take strength from Above, He will never forsake you.

MaryB
12-02-2016, 01:54 AM
Keep up the search! Rushing into things can land you with a lemon! Friend of mine has done it three times in a row now... I tell him to research and he impulse buys. His mechanic likes it!

dverna
12-02-2016, 11:22 AM
My son looked for a long time to find what he wanted.

Not sure why it seems only Fords are under consideration. I know a few people who have had good luck with the Chevy Trailblazer. They do a decent job in Upper Michigan - 135" of snow/year.

But I am no mechanic or car guru.

Don Verna

Wise Owl
12-03-2016, 10:16 AM
My son looked for a long time to find what he wanted.

Not sure why it seems only Fords are under consideration. I know a few people who have had good luck with the Chevy Trailblazer. They do a decent job in Upper Michigan - 135" of snow/year.

But I am no mechanic or car guru.

Don Verna

Actually we are also looking at Dodge Durangos, Chevy Tahoes, Suburbans, GMC Yukons, and Jeep products. It's a matter of size mostly and engine, 4 wheel drive. Checking Car Complaints for problems with different years models. It's very tiring to sit and look at hundreds of cars looking for one that has not been dubbed a bad year due to mechanical issues. Then going to find one after that. I think I have looked at maybe a couple thousand cars.
Checking Carfax, Craigslist, local and statewide dealers..........and it goes on and on.
Anything we look at has to be looked at carefully to see if there is body rust or other problems. Then calling about them and trying to convince local places of the need to have it checked by an independent mechanic...... or driven up here to have our guy check it out.

I have also been looking at what people are driving locally and asking questions about what year, do they like it, had any major problems, etc. A lot of them are too small. Ideally I would like another Expedition or something that size. It was perfect for us and two dogs and room for groceries or other larger items. We are both used to pick up sized vechicles and living in the sticks, you never know what you need to haul home in it.

A few of the cars we were interested in were already being worked on to fix issues that they have found to be needing to be repaired.

Lot's of overpriced cars to skim thru. Way too many owners on them.. It's not like shopping for a new car. We have a budget and have to keep that in mind. Also cost of insuring whatever we buy, possibly getting different tires on it.

This is not an easy thing. We would like to find something that will last for more than a couple years and not nickle and dime us to death.

But, we are running short of time and winter IS here now. Come January, our car's state sticker runs out and we won't be driving anywhere.

My son has a Pathfinder and loves it but, it's a little small for our needs. Still looking at it tho. Haven't seen any up here in Maine locally to really give it a look. But, I think that may be too small for us.

BrassMagnet
12-03-2016, 09:04 PM
My work vehicles have been Durango, Tahoe, Expedition, & Bronco.

I hate the Durango. I couldn't keep a transmission in any Durango.

The Bronco was larger than the Bronco II.

Tahoe was reasonably decent. I actually like the Expedition.

Bookworm
12-04-2016, 10:49 AM
I can sympathize with the car search ordeal. We recently purchased a used car. The problem is not finding a suitable car, the problem is winnowing through the THOUSANDS of cars that 'could' be suitable.

What a hassle. The only respite I get, is that we tend to keep vehicles for a long time - when I sell a car, it usually goes for just a few hundred bucks, and the car owes me nothing.

When I went hunting, I could pull out the rear seat in the Ramcharger, and I had just enough room to stretch out and sleep in the back. The roof vent would be right over my head, so good ventilation. I miss that truck....

Keep at it, eventually you will find it.

Wise Owl
12-04-2016, 12:07 PM
I guess the problem is that there is a small window in models and makes of good and bad years. After looking at Car Compaints you can find really bad years on some models. So, you have to look at mostly 2007 cars to get something that you KNOW has had the bugs fixed. Some of the bugs are engines shutting down while going down a highway, transmissions blowing, etc, etc. So, I am avoiding those years like the plague.

We also really liked our Expedition. Not many of those out there in the price range we can afford. Has to be NOT a 2005 or 06, no 02's, 04. You get the idea. Add in no rust, lower mileage so we can get more than a couple years out of it and the looking gets complicated. Seen a few Expeditions that "might" have been ok but they are way far away and no way to get them to Maine without a big cost of transporting them here.

Forget a Tahoe or Suburban. Way too much money for a good year with no issues in mechanics.

Thanks for the heads up on the Durango's. I will scratch them off the list of cars to look at.

Still leaning heavily for another Expedition. Even with the 5.4 Triton engine, it's a really great car. Kinda like a tank sort of thing that only a Suburban can compete with and I have owned/driven both for some years. I was driving a 1986 Suburban when some fool kid hit me in the rear and messed up my neck/shoulders and hands so badly. If it had been a smaller vehicle I probably wouldn't have survived. So, I lean towards the big tank type cars. We have huge logging trucks up here who all think they own the road and they come screaming up behind you and blow you off the road passing you on really dangerously narrow roads. It's a matter of survival up here. I have seen too many crushed up cars that go off the road and hit a solid embankment of shale or granite or even hit a moose and total their little cars.

That Expedition Eddie Bauer 2005 is still for sale in Jersey. You remember the one with the heavy cow catcher on the front? Wish we knew for certain it was ok since the timing chain was replaced. I really liked that one for some reason. It was talking to me loudly. Don't know why.

Need to do a couple errands today in the old Ford which is in need of a new spark plug boot, I think. It's doing that clicking noise when you first start it up and the check engine light is still on steady. Pretty sure it's the spark plug. That runs about $80 to replace. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wise Owl
12-05-2016, 01:56 PM
Anyone own a Mercury Mountaineer? Good/bad? This might work for us also. Still looking and hoping for new listings.......

Wise Owl
12-07-2016, 03:11 PM
:killingpc

Nothing yet. Thinking this may be an impossible thing to find a decent car in today's market. They are either a piece of junk, lemons or over priced for what they are....

Burnt out for today.

God bless and keep you all safe and happy.

Wise Owl
12-10-2016, 12:33 AM
Nothing so far. Same as before.

Big snowstorm headed this way according to weather service on Sunday night. Oh joy... need to get gas can filled with fresh gas for the snowblower tomorrow.....
Supposed to have a high of 17 tomorrow. Wind has been around 15 to 20 most of last night thru now.

Have a good night and God bless you all. Stay warm wherever you are!

MaryB
12-11-2016, 03:04 AM
Seen a few listed here in MN but here it is a rust roulette...

Wise Owl
12-11-2016, 09:28 AM

Same thing here in the NE.

I have also been using http://www.carcomplaints.com/ to check out different models of cars. It seems like most companies had some bad years (2002 thru 2006) on models we are interested in.

Been looking at Chevy Trailblazers. You have to go to a 2008 in order to feel like you won't get a lemon according to the website above. This is a bad time of the year to try to find good vehicles for winter. They have either been purchased or people are hanging onto them until they are rust buckets.....(that's what we do with 4x4's) Pickins are slim right now.
On Carfax the vehicles show accidents or too much money for our pocketbook. Not smart to start out with something that was in an accident and may prove to not be ok to drive later as in a couple months down the road.

Plastic radiators and badly engineered engines and trannies.
The whole thing makes my head hurt. But I have been putting in several hours a day looking.

Lloyd Smale
12-11-2016, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't get overly concerned with rust. Up here its a fact of life. If anything it can make a vehicle a bargain. Id much rather have a mechanical sound vehicle with some rust as have a pretty looking mint vehicle with major miles and possible mechanical issues. Plus thing is that lots are scared by rust so a rust hole drops the price drastically. I don't think anyone's going to the Ritz in this vehicle.

Wise Owl
12-11-2016, 12:48 PM
Rust is a major no no in getting an inspection sticker in Maine. There can be no rust holes or areas missing on ANY vehicles in Maine. Rust, no sticker. No sticker no license and big ticket......

So, rust is something that HAS to be considered......

On the other hand, we have a great Expedition with 183,000 miles that only needs a muffler and a couple other things to make it ok in ANY other state than Maine......lol....

JimB..
12-11-2016, 01:58 PM
Rust is a major no no in getting an inspection sticker in Maine. There can be no rust holes or areas missing on ANY vehicles in Maine. Rust, no sticker. No sticker no license and big ticket......

So, rust is something that HAS to be considered......

On the other hand, we have a great Expedition with 183,000 miles that only needs a muffler and a couple other things to make it ok in ANY other state than Maine......lol....

I'm curious about your current vehicle. The state can mandate no holes, but it can't mandate pretty. Getting some sheet metal riveted in might be a good stop-gap if the truck doesn't need much else.

merlin101
12-11-2016, 02:22 PM
[QUOTE=Wise Owl;3872021

Plastic radiators
The whole thing makes my head hurt. But I have been putting in several hours a day looking.[/QUOTE]

Don't count out a car just because of the "plastic radiator", with 20 years in the auto body biz I too thought they were cheap and a poor replacement for copper/brass but soon realized that the aluminum would bend and twist and still stay sealed to the plastic tanks where the copper ones would leak.
As far as engines and tranny's, I'm with ya one that! I've got a used $5000. lemon sitting in my drive unused but insured. I used to love cars, now I hate em!

merlin101
12-11-2016, 02:26 PM
I'm curious about your current vehicle. The state can mandate no holes, but it can't mandate pretty. Getting some sheet metal riveted in might be a good stop-gap if the truck doesn't need much else.
Yeah, I've 'touched' up lots of cars and trucks over the years that way. Pa used to have a similar law and I've seen people use silver metal tape to cover the holes and then spray bomb them a close color. This time of year isn't good for working outside but that might buy you another year.

Wise Owl
12-11-2016, 03:41 PM

Jim, it's not just the body altho that's a big part of it. It's too many other things under the car as in shocks, struts, just about everything that involves the truck not falling into a big piece of junk in the driveway that's a problem. The state of Maine checks ALL these things out yearly for their inspection sticker. It's for safety and the list is about 75 items. Everything from wipers to turn signals, brake lights, rusted out places like the rockers, fenders, parts underneath, wheel bearings, ad nausea. Unless you live in Maine you have no idea.
Sometimes I think the state is tied up with the car dealers so they can make more money on both ends. Newer cars cost more to buy, higher taxes for the state due to value new on the vehicle (which still applies even 18 years later).......

Right now, we need rocker panels fixed, holes in a couple fenders. Shocks, tires, a new gas filler line, you know where you put the nozzle in to fill your gas tank? (ours went and mechanic put a rubber hose in and clamped it cause the old one rusted out)
I "think" we have another spark plug boot going. We need the whole tail pipe and muffler replaced.......and a couple more things I can't remember right now.

Sorry, but, it would take too much to fix this car. Way too much. Probably close to $2500 just for the rusted out body parts. Maybe more as one rocker panel is gone. Tires run around $750 for 4. (have to be snow/mud tires for up here)
Shocks $250. Exhaust system $400. (btdt already) I have no idea on fixing that gas line/filler line. Spark plug boot IS $80 without labor. (btdt 3 times already) And add in a few other things that need fixing immediately according to our mechanic.
And none of those things are including labor.......which is $70 an hour now. (no, we have no mechanical types as friends or places cheaper available.)

Any other questions?

The list of vehicles that "should" be mechanically ok right now are as follows. Anything that year or newer....

2007 Mercury Mountaineer
2007 Durango (but have not heard positive reports on any of the Durango cars so not looking heavily at those)
2006 Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon
2007 Expedition
2007 Explorer
2008 Chevy Trailblazer

All have to have a third seat. Good tires for winter. NO rust because that just gets worse due to salt happening for 7 months out of the year on ALL roads.

So, there you have the problems living in the mtns of Maine. Our current car got us almost 6 years. We both really, really liked it. Makes me want to cry to think of it being gone. It fit us perfectly for our needs. So know you know.

JimB..
12-11-2016, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the explanation, seems that you've done a great job thinking it through, now the right truck just needs to pop up where you can grab it.

MaryB
12-12-2016, 01:48 AM
An accident hit should not be an immediate no. If they detailed what was repaired(if you can find where and ask them too!) it is fine. My 2005 Aveo was an accident hit. Guy hit the drivers side rear door with a pickup bumper and caved in the door and the pillar near it. Both were repaired by the dealer the car was bought from so they had great records of the repairs and all factory parts were used. I bought it in 2007 and drove it until 2013 when it was totaled in a real accident that earned me a late in the neck! It was still going rust free and was amazingly roomy for a little car(I am 5'11" and had tons of headroom). It plowed through deep snow pretty well too but I ran very aggressive front tires!

Dealers can ship cars cross country pretty dang cheap so maybe have them start a search... they tack them onto loads that aren't full.

Wise Owl
12-15-2016, 08:27 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?322710-Our-new-car-is-coming-tomorrow-Yee-Haw