PDA

View Full Version : My shiny new Load Master

dikman
09-15-2016, 06:22 AM
I've spent the last two days setting up and fine tuning the Load Master, and so far I like it! I've smoothed and polished the shell plate and that alone made a big difference! When I first assembled it I could feel the roughness when I indexed it, after polishing it is smooooth! So far I've only cycled empty cases through, and used spent primers to check the primer seating with no issues. I've watched plenty of youtube vids that show the areas that need attention and they've been a great help.

I've only come unstuck in one area. My intention is to use it to load both .38 and .44-40, so I bought the .38 press and ordered the extra shellplate for.44, another 5-hole turret plus the extra parts for the boolit feeder to handle the larger boolits. Fine, as far as it went......For some reason I assumed the press would come with the primer parts for both large and small primers. Wrong....which was obvious once I thought about it (the .38 kit only needs the small primer assembly). So, another order to Titan for the large primer feed, ram and spring (cost me as much for shipping as the parts!!).

Next problem, that dawned on me as I was fitting the boolit feeder. While I will have a complete turret setup for .44, with it's own powder feed, I will not only have to change the boolit feed die and fingers on the boolit feeder but the whole feeder will have to be removed and swapped each time. This means removing the boolit seating die each time, which means having to reset the adjustment each time. No big deal, but slightly annoying. Then I remembered that I had a set of Hornady locking rings, the ones with the little allenhead screw to lock them to the die. By using one of these on the boolit seating die I should be able to remove, and return, the die to the same position each time because the lock ring won't shift out of adjustment.
At least, that's the theory.

Looks like being the start of an interesting journey.

powwowell
09-15-2016, 06:43 AM
Good luck with the Load Master. I have the Pro 1000, and I envy the 5 stations of the Load Master.

jmorris
09-15-2016, 08:14 AM
Looks like being the start of an interesting journey.

Thats putting it mildly. I did manage to get the Loadmaster to work quite well. The Lee bullet feeder is a $25 piece of trash though.

NoZombies
09-15-2016, 10:24 AM
Good luck.

I mean that.

RobS
09-15-2016, 10:32 AM
Don't fret the individuals who will speak negatively on the LoadMaster. Knowledge of how the machine works along with setting it up properly and a tweek/mod you will be on your way to thousands of flawless rounds. Priming on the press was an issue however the new priming systems out has fixed those issues. Also make sure to set it up on a solid bench with no flexing and moving etc.

The Loadmasterzone is a great resource.
http://loadmastervideos.com/ the forum is the first link top left of this opening page.

Here is a manual that makes more sense:
http://manual.loadmastervideos.com/

dikman
09-15-2016, 06:59 PM
Being a Lee product I was expecting to get negative comments.[smilie=l: Doesn't bother me, and other than their molds (can't do much with them if faulty) I've learned that their stuff will generally work fine with a bit of tweaking. I read a lot about this press before deciding to buy one, plus a fellow club member recently set one up. He had some problems initially, but once he sorted them he's very happy with it (I bought the boolit feeder because he said how well it works). He's a machinist by trade and also does gunsmithing so he's somewhat familiar with machinery.

And before anyone says it, yes, a Dillon would be nice but I can't justify maybe $1400 for a press - heck, for not much more I can buy a nice metal lathe (which I intend doing). Much better value.

I've run dummy rounds through (no powder and spent primers) and I'm impressed how smooth it is and how everything lines up with no backlash or looseness in it. I figure if I can get a Pro 1000 to work then this should be easier.

Rob, I've already been browsing the loadmaster site, lots of good stuff on there.

shoot-n-lead
09-15-2016, 07:06 PM
Good luck!

Just realize...it will work reasonably well as long as you are willing to continually tweak it...despite the above post of it running flawlessly for thousands of rounds...it NEVER WILL...sorry...but it will load ammo and that is your goal. Also, it will make you appreciate that Dillon when you finally get a fill of the tweaking.

sparky45
09-15-2016, 07:47 PM
I've been through EVERY Press Lee makes, and I still have a Load Master, a Lee Classic Cast Turret, a Lee Breech Lock Challenger, and a little C press. Used to have 2 other LLM's as well as a Pro 1000. With that in mind, the LLM WILL load quality ammo as will all the others. I am a reloading press junkie cause I also have 2 RCBS Rock Chuckers and a big ole Dillon 650. If you ever have a problem with the LLM, get a hold of "magic mike" and he will make you happy with mods designed to make the LLM a marvel to run.

dikman
09-15-2016, 07:59 PM
I already know this thing inside out and understand how it works. I'm not doing commercial quantities and suspect problems are most likely to arise if I try and go too fast. I can also tell you that unless someone offers me a Dillon at a very good price (unlikely, considering how expensive they are here) I won't be buying one. I don't mind if I have to do a bit of tweaking occasionally as I consider it part of keeping something mechanical running.

Sparky, I've already seen Magic Mike's site, very interesting products and thoughts on the LM.

VHoward
09-15-2016, 08:35 PM
I don't think everybody pays attention to the location of posters. People in the States probably don't realize the costs of buying from overseas in Australia or New Zealand. Ends up costing you guys almost double of what we pay for something here in the States.

I personally did not care for the loadmaster, but I had one back when the primer system didn't work well and Lee claimed there was nothing wrong with it. If there was nothing wrong with it, why did they release updated primer system for it 2 years later?

Enjoy. I hope it works out for you.

jmorris
09-15-2016, 08:36 PM
If you have the press running well, I think you can maintain it. When you get tired of boiling the fingers on the bullet feeder chunk it and get one that works for more than a few hundred rounds.

RobS
09-15-2016, 10:24 PM
Good luck!

Just realize...it will work reasonably well as long as you are willing to continually tweak it...despite the above post of it running flawlessly for thousands of rounds...it NEVER WILL...sorry...but it will load ammo and that is your goal. Also, it will make you appreciate that Dillon when you finally get a fill of the tweaking.

Yes it will. I've loaded in a single setting once 1,000 rounds of 45 acp......just added primers and dumped the old ones out.

dikman
09-15-2016, 11:32 PM
VHoward, yeah, I gather that the early priming system was a bit of a dog. I'm not surprised they wouldn't admit something was wrong, my experience with their so-called customer service hasn't been brilliant. As long as the basic machine is good then I have a solid foundation to get it working and keep it working. As for your comment about location, you're quite right. Things will cost at least double (and sometimes more) compared to the US and that is if you can actually get them. And as for buying spares and replacement parts the usual answer is they're not in stock but we can get them in - eventually.

Unlike the US, where you have many mail-order places dealing in gun-related goods, and it seems every town has a gunshop on every corner (;)), we do it pretty tough.

shoot-n-lead
09-15-2016, 11:40 PM
Yes it will. I've loaded in a single setting once 1,000 rounds of 45 acp......just added primers and dumped the old ones out.

I have loaded thousands upon thousands on my 550 and never touched anything...unless I changed bullet designs.

Set it up and forget it.

And, I won't even mention that priming system...new or old...on Lee presses.

There are too many plastic parts on Lee presses for them to be tweak free for very long.

At any rate, it will load ammo and that is what the OP is interested in...he will just tweak it, when needed and keep loading. BUT, one day, he will tire of that.

kmw1954
09-16-2016, 01:15 AM
I have loaded thousands upon thousands on my 550 and never touched anything...unless I changed bullet designs.

Set it up and forget it.

At any rate, it will load ammo and that is what the OP is interested in...he will just tweak it, when needed and keep loading. BUT, one day, he will tire of that.

My question is to what point break does one need to get to to justify the expense of a $1000.00+ press?

Would that be 100,000 rounds a year? 10,000 a year? 5000? For myself, loading less than 5000 a year I could never justify spending that on a press.

Whiterabbit
09-16-2016, 02:05 AM
I love my loadmaster. Want to be in the club of people who say 'nary a problem"?

-Always keep 10 more primers in the hopper than you need. You need the headspace pushing down on the primer coming in.

-If you ever spill powder. ever, ever. Full stop, pull the shell plate and primer assembly and clean it. Don't let spilled powder hang around. Keep the prime assembly dry.

You'll never have an issue.

Why didn't you buy all the parts you need to have 2 working turrets, so you don't have to change anything? That was my motivation to buy a second 45 caliber lyman M die....

Whiterabbit
09-16-2016, 02:07 AM
what I REALLY wish lee could pull out of a hat is a universal manual bullet collator that was "as reliable and effective" as their manual case collator. I don't mind filling tubes manually, but I would be happier if I had something like a cookie tray with scallops, dump bullets in and shake to align all the bullets in the scallops (all the right way due to lee magic of course), then hole a tube at the bottom and push the row of bullets right in and now I have a loaded tube.

I need that fictional piece of magic hardware.

warf73
09-16-2016, 04:00 AM
My question is to what point break does one need to get to to justify the expense of a $1000.00+ press?

Would that be 100,000 rounds a year? 10,000 a year? 5000? For myself, loading less than 5000 a year I could never justify spending that on a press.

Not sure why someone is worried about how many rounds a year it will take to pay off their press, but I'll give you my experience since I did go over a year without a press and had to use factory ammo.

Depending on what your reloading 3000~6000 rounds will easly justify a $1000 press fully set up. I load for 380acp, 357mag and 40S&W on a 650 and here is the round count that would put the press to break even for each one.

380acp factory ammo $200 per 1000 shipped
380acp me pouring my own boolits $30 per 1000.
Saving of $170 per 1000
Break even is just under 6000 rounds.

357mag factory ammo $370 per 1000 shipped.
357mag me pouring my own boolits $35 per 1000
Saving of $335 per 1000.
Break even is 3000 rounds.

40S&W factory ammo $200 per 1000 shipped
40S&W me pouring my own boolits $35
Saving of $165 per 1000
Break even is just over 6000 rounds.

Not sure when the last time you priced factory ammo those prices are for the cheapest ammo out there, you might find a sale and save a few more $$$.

My girlfriend shoots 150~200 rounds per range trip in her 380acp , and we go at least once a month sometimes twice. I shoot 80~120 per trip in the 357mag, and maybe 50~70 in the 40S&W.
So for what we shoot it would only take a year and half maybe more to pay off the press and the complete conversions for all 3 calibers we shoot.
I reload to save money and most of all have accurate ammo for our guns, and I've posted before that her 380 shoots better with our loads than with any factory ammo that was shot prior to us reloading for it.

Back to the topic.
There is nothing wrong with using Lee presses if that's what you want. I owned a Lee Classic Turret great press and loaded my low volume pistol ammo and rifle with no issues. Never used the press the OP is talking about, sounds like he has it working good and will produce ammo for him for years to come.

Bottom line be happy with what you have, or upgrade to something else that MIGHT take less tinkering to keep running for longer times. I use a 550 & 650 and both sometimes needs an adjustment, ALL presses from time to time needs something done to them. Biggest issues with the 2 Dillon's I use is keeping everything clean, not hard to keep clean but if you start having issues most times it's because something is dirty(90% of the time its the priming system)

dikman I hope you have many years with your press and many thousands of rounds.

Warf

jmorris
09-16-2016, 06:45 AM

I have quite a bit invested in reloading equipment, most of it is worth more now than when I bought it.

I also enjoy nice equipment and don't have any motorcycles, boats or RV's so I have the money to use in this hobby.

dikman
09-16-2016, 07:55 AM
I understand where you're coming from, JM, and I too can appreciate nice equipment. You're also lucky that some of your gear has appreciated rather than depreciated.

Warf, thanks for the nice words. Barring ill-health and the unforeseen (and assuming our government doesn't deprive us of the rest of our guns!!) I figure I've got about 20 years ahead of me. I have no doubt that the LM will see me out. I ran 50 .38's through it this afternoon to see how it would go. Had a couple of minor problems, basically my fault. I was too busy trying to watch everything at once and ran out of cases. No big deal, of course, but in the meantime the boolit feeder kept dropping boolits regardless of whether there is a case present. Just something I'll have to get used to. I'll also have to do a minor readjustment on the case mouth flaring, as on a few there were signs of the case shaving the lead as the boolit was seated. Other than that I was very impressed. On the Pro 1000 I had intermittent problems with primer seating depth which would cause revolver cylinders to stop and feeding issues on the lever rifle. On this press the primers were seated perfectly, with no feeding issues whatsoever.
The potential weak point I see is the plastic slide that pushes the primer into place. As these aren't available as a separate spare I reckon I'll make a replacement out of brass so I've got a spare handy.

Whiterabbit, that was my intention, to set up a complete turret for .44-40. Once I get the bits I forgot to order before (:roll:) that's what I'll do.

I suppose it could be said that any idiot can use a Dillon, but it takes a special kind of person to get a LoadMaster up and running :lol:.

kmw1954
09-16-2016, 09:33 AM
Not sure why someone is worried about how many rounds a year it will take to pay off their press, but I'll give you my experience since I did go over a year without a press and had to use factory ammo.

Depending on what your reloading 3000~6000 rounds will easly justify a $1000 press fully set up. I load for 380acp, 357mag and 40S&W on a 650 and here is the round count that would put the press to break even for each one.

Warf

Nice argument, now take that same list and replace it with a $250.00 press as compared to a $1000.00+ press.

Another argument is this. I worked maintenance for most of my life. I could get just as much work done with my $25.00 Craftsman ratchet as the guys with their $250.00 Snap-On ratchet and my boss was just as happy with my work as he was with theirs. Same thing, I have caught just as many fish on my $25.00 Zebco reel as I have with my $175.00 Pflueger reel. Both work well both catch fish one just feels smoother.

As I tried to point out for the small amount of reloading I do compared to some here I myself cannot justify laying out that kind of money when I can do the same work for much less. I would rather spend that money on more supplies that I will use. For those that do a high volume of reloading I agree that it is a great investment. I wouldn't suggest it for those of us that only reload a couple thousand rounds a year. Heck, that could just be as easily done on a single stage press.

sparky45
09-16-2016, 10:13 AM
Let's just say "you're tighter than a rusted nut". :kidding:

Guesser
09-16-2016, 10:16 AM
I put a Loadmaster into service in 1997. No videos, no experts for or against on the web. I talked my way thru it with the help of the direct line to Lee. Used it 12 years. Great machine, I had a class 6 FFL and sold a few thousand dollars of my ammo at local gun shows, built a reputation that got me more business. I retired fully in '07. In '09 I sold the Loadmaster and went to single stage for my own use. I have nothing but praise for Lee and their Loadmaster, it did everything well after they talked me thru the problems that I created, thru ignorance, impatience, and stupidity. There was a 1 year learning curve for me. Great machines.

kmw1954
09-16-2016, 10:32 AM
Let's just say "you're tighter than a rusted nut". :kidding:

Really???!!!!!

VHoward
09-16-2016, 10:57 AM

http://www.dillonprecision.com/rl-550b_8_1_23594.html
$439.95 plus shipping and you supply the die set. The RL550B is hardly a $1000+ machine. You also get the no BS lifetime warranty even if you bought a used machine from someone else. There was a lot of BS coming from Lee last time I wanted them to honor their warranty.
$738.60 is the price if you decked it out like Dillon pictures it. Still far from being a $1000+ press.

jmorris
09-16-2016, 11:07 AM
You're also lucky that some of your gear has appreciated rather than depreciated.

It's not luck as much as the equipment. 30 years ago my first Dillon was $130, they still send out free parts for them, as well as make brand new ones. So a used one is just as good as a new one because any part of them can be replaced for free. That's why most any of them can bring 80% the price of a brand new one.

I sold my last one after Sandyhook and the reelection of the POTUS when everyone was in full panic mode and the 650 went on eBay for over $1800, took the money and ordered another 1050.

RCBS and Hornady don't support their old presses, so when they break they are boat anchors and Lee presses simply have awful resale value. I would sell the LM I have, that runs like a top but for what they bring I would rather it just sit there waiting for a friend in need.

Whiterabbit
09-16-2016, 11:36 AM
ALL presses from time to time needs something done to them. Biggest issues with the 2 Dillon's I use is keeping everything clean, not hard to keep clean but if you start having issues most times it's because something is dirty(90% of the time its the priming system)

Totally! Dikman, I guarantee if you keep spilled powder off the press, keep the priming station dry from oils, and have at least 10 more primers in the chute than rounds you are loading at any time, you will never have a primer come in missing or sideways.

It's always that unforseen massive kernel of stick powder that works its way under the plate that binds up the primer plunger and warps the plunger spring, forcing a call to LEE to get a new spring, or a smidge of oil migrating from the ram over to the primer chute that keeps the lead primer from transitioning over to the pusher arm.

a 4 second inspection before starting your batch eliminates any concern.

kmw1954
09-16-2016, 12:18 PM
http://www.dillonprecision.com/rl-550b_8_1_23594.html
$439.95 plus shipping and you supply the die set.
$738.60 is the price if you decked it out like Dillon pictures it. Still far from being a $1000+ press.

So you are comparing that to this?
http://leeprecision.com/load-master-38-special.html $384.00 as pictured dies included. Caliber change of roughly $100.00 opposed to $394.00

Again, comparing Craftsman to Snap-On.

Neither I or anyone else can question how you decide to spend your money. It's yours to do as you please. I also only have to justify to myself how I spend my own money. I just find it rather boorish when some criticize others for the purchases they make. I'm not trying to persuade anyone which product is better because I don't have either.

r1kk1
09-16-2016, 03:43 PM
Weird. Every Lee thread and Lee owner who posts on these threads tries to compare and rationalize the purchase of a Lee progressive to one Dillon or another. It gets better when a poster posts that off I save this much on equipment I can buy components. They confuse themselves about durable goods vs expendable goods. Presses, powder measures, scales, etc are durable goods while components for reloading are considered expendables since you basically use them once and can't reuse spent primers and jacketed bullets. A press better last for a lifetime. I don't understand the "badge of honor" moniker that strikes some ego trip in any equipment that requires a user to finish it to work as intended. I'm not into reloading where I need to finish a tool before I reload with it.

Why I don't own a LM. Back in the mid 80s I bought two progressive presses. I shot bowling pin shoots, IHMSA and Bullseye leagues. I lost count how many 45 ACP shells I loaded on that one press alone. I bought the other progressive to load other pistol and rifle stuff on. About 5 years ago I traded the pistol progressive for an original SAN Diego Star lubrisizer with a bunch of extras. I still have the other progressive which still loads copious amount of pistol and rifle ammo. I sent the pistol press back to the manufacturer and I think I paid 45 bucks to get an old discontinued model brought up to data. Try that with Lee. They want 50% of THEIR retail to refurbish one of their progressives. I'm well into six figures of loading on the larger progressive and it works as intended. It works with boring repeatability switching from one caliber to another. Being a wildcat shooter and owning a Savage and both an Encore as well as a Contender, to say I have a few barrels is an understatement. Lee doesn't make hardly any shellplates compared to the other three companies. It would be money wasted for me to go backwards and not being able to load what I want. I like pulling the handle once for every cartridge not two, three or four or more times. I have every shellplates for my press and load belted magnums, 444s, 348 Winchester's, 30-30s, 460 S&Ws, etc., meaning theses are parent case for one wildcat or another.
So I don't one of because of low resale value, lack of shellplates, cost to much for the factory refurbish or upgrade's (3rd gen priming system should come free with an apology), and it appears that you must finish parts to operate as a progressive should.

It is a sad day when Lee doesn't even carry a shellplate for the 500 S&W. I do not see value or justification to fill a need for today and spend the rest of my life thinking I will just load only these couple of things. I don't own a cartridge I can't load on my progressives minus the 50 BMG. I have a turret press for that cartridge. I love the off handed comparison comparing Lee to Dillon. They are not in the same league. Like comparing the towing capabilities of a Prius to a 1 ton dually.

To the OP: contact Vaquero 44 and Beesdad as they have a facebook forum for Lee progressives. They are a wealth of information. Mikes reloading also offers many products for the LM. Mount that press solid as no progressive press will tolerate a flexing bench. Primer and powder measures function better. This goes for any progressives. I have a steel beam that I will be using here this year. I hate flimsy benches.

Take care

r-kk1

VHoward
09-16-2016, 04:17 PM
So you are comparing that to this?
http://leeprecision.com/load-master-38-special.html $384.00 as pictured dies included. Caliber change of roughly $100.00 opposed to $394.00

Again, comparing Craftsman to Snap-On.

Neither I or anyone else can question how you decide to spend your money. It's yours to do as you please. I also only have to justify to myself how I spend my own money. I just find it rather boorish when some criticize others for the purchases they make. I'm not trying to persuade anyone which product is better because I don't have either.
All I said was that the press of the person you responded to was far from being a $1000+ press. Given the quality and customer service difference, I would still choose the RL550B over the Loadmaster any day.

kmw1954
09-16-2016, 06:10 PM
Weird. Every Lee thread and Lee owner who posts on these threads tries to compare and rationalize the purchase of a Lee progressive to one Dillon or another.

I love the off handed comparison comparing Lee to Dillon. They are not in the same league. Like comparing the towing capabilities of a Prius to a 1 ton dually.

Take care

r-kk1

Yeah Weird, Seems I made a comparison similar to Craftsman and Snap-On.

Other than that all I got out that post that is that you loads tons of this, that and everything else and how much superior your equipment is to anything else.
Well good for you. It's nice that it all works for what you are doing.

r1kk1
09-16-2016, 07:33 PM
Yeah Weird, Seems I made a comparison similar to Craftsman and Snap-On.

Other than that all I got out that post that is that you loads tons of this, that and everything else and how much superior your equipment is to anything else.
Well good for you. It's nice that it all works for what you are doing.

176773 176772176774

This in my RV alone. I have one factory chambered barrel for the Encore and that is the 460 S&W pictured above my wife's triple cylinder revolver and my 500 Linebaugh. The other two barrels are necked 460 to 44 caliber and then the to 41 caliber. I have put Leupold dovetail rings and a drop of epoxy on the bases of the hard kickers. The next row is based off of the 405 Winchester case from 375 to 25 caliber but some didn't make the trip this time. The next row is necked down Casull cases to different calibers and where the complete Encore is holding a 30-30 Winchester to 40 caliber and other necked down 30-30 Cartridges. I do have two barrels based on the 50 Alaskan cartridge where on is chambered in 450 and the other a 416.

So comparing the two presses is apples and oranges. How do you compare one that does not have anywhere near the capabilities of the other? Simply fact is my progressive press loads these and all the JDJ barrels I have and too many to list Savage 110 barrels. Can your LM? No. Lee needs to desperately bring out new shellplates for the LM and also bring 410 gauge to the Load-All. Now my hunting weapons as well as my wife's are dialed in. I took a Texas Dall ram with my Encore last year and my wife with her necked down 475 Linebaugh to 45 caliber she got a 350lb hog with one shot.

So so yes I own a couple of barrels and more importantly, my choice of progressive press has kept up with me and all the new cartridges out there. That's a good thing. I have noticed threads where people want to upgrade to a Dillon from a LM. I have never seen a thread where someone wanted to trade their Dillon anything to a LM. I really can't say I have ever seen someone with a LNL or RCBS Pro 2000 wanting to do it either.

Take care

r1kk1

kmw1954
09-16-2016, 08:30 PM
Very impressive. nice collection.

I on the other hand only have two calibers, 38spl and 9mm. as I am just reestablishing in reloading after many years of being away from it I estimate that I will only be reloading about 2-3k rounds a year. So maybe one of you good people can explain to me why I would need a Dillon Progressive to do this. As I am in no hurry and do this for fun. I could do this and have done this on a single stage press. Not everyone needs a high output top of the line press.

44Vaquero
09-16-2016, 08:34 PM
R1kk1,

Thanks for the kind words, we strive to be leaders and promoters of hobby and sport!

For those of you who use FaceBook, our page is Lee Reloading and Casting Equipment. We currently have well over 13,900+ members! The page was started as an effort to link Lee users new and old, sharing accumulated knowledge for owning and operating Lee equipment. Come on over and join us.

A short message from our founder Juddie David Burgess:

This group is a group dedicated to those who use LEE Precision Reloading and Casting Equipment. We can discuss issues we may be having share secrets and modifications to our equipment. We can discuss our reloading technics and secrets with each other. We can talk about LEE casting equipment and casting in general. Please no political discussions, lets keep this about reloading and casting. Political posts will be deleted when found. No exceptions.
No bashing of someone's choice of equipment to use. Yes this page is dedicated to LEE equipment, but we do not bash anyone for not using LEE. This was a place created to get away from all the LEE bashing and we should be better than those who bash LEE by not bashing other brands. All reloading equipment is what it is, some if not all have issues one way or the other. So be respectful, do not bash a person for the type of equipment he uses nor the equipment he uses.

Absolutely NO profanity will be tolerated on this site. We have women and children that are members of this group, not to mention that we have people of all types of religious backgrounds even some that I am sure are not religious. Be respectful, if you can't post without cussing then maybe you do not need to post.
All posts are to be related to the topic or discussion and are to be civil. Disagreements are fine, but if they get out of hand we will delete the post and warn individual. Continued abuse will be cause for being banned from the group.

These are simple rules and if you can't live by these simple rules be aware as of now you may be removed and banned from the group.

dverna
09-16-2016, 08:46 PM
There is a tendency to think everyone needs what we need. We do not consider how many rounds a year we shoot, number of calibers we load for, level of mechanical ability, degree of patience, and intelligence.

There is also a natural tendency to justify our investment.

r1kk1
09-16-2016, 09:39 PM
Very impressive. nice collection.

I on the other hand only have two calibers, 38spl and 9mm. as I am just reestablishing in reloading after many years of being away from it I estimate that I will only be reloading about 2-3k rounds a year. So maybe one of you good people can explain to me why I would need a Dillon Progressive to do this. As I am in no hurry and do this for fun. I could do this and have done this on a single stage press. Not everyone needs a high output top of the line press.

I have no idea how old you are but with two calibers to load for especially pistol calibers such as you stated, any progressive. As long as the LM keeps up with what you buy, it becomes a sound investment. I hate to load even big boomers on a single stage or even a turret. I have no idea what I crank out ammo out but some calibers that I shoot require carefully attention when you pull the handle so production slows way down.

Vaquero 44 has banged out around 250k rounds on his LM. Beesdad owns five of them I think, each in different calibers. Those two guys KNOW the LM! I would reach out to them. I bet their tips and tricks are a good read alone even if you don't own a LM. One other person to know is Liberal with a Gun who is known as Cowboy.

If I wanted higher production rate, I would buy a 1050. My interest lies in one pull of the handle and I have a finished round. Sadly for the 1050, it lacks shellplates that I want.

You know, I just wished people just stated that their choice of press works for them and leave it at that. I didn't bring Dillon into a Lee thread. I don't care for the word validation. If something works for you then great. I totally and completely agree with you.

My wants and desires began for a progressive before the 550s, Super 1050s, LNLs, LMs, and RCBS 2000. What I enjoy is it has kept up with me over the
decades coupled with a huge appetite for barrels.

It works for me and I bet into the future.

Take care

r1kk1

Guesser
09-16-2016, 10:10 PM
I praise the Loadmaster over the Dillon for one reason and one reason only. They both do the job and in my lifetime the Lee is still going, just as the Dillon is. When I compare the pluses and negatives the 2 come out even........so that leaves only the investment and the Lee is cheaper.

I just realized that most people compare the Dillon 550 variants to the Loadmaster. That's apples to oranges. The Lee is a 5 station unit....if you want that in blue then you're going to put out a helluva lot more money than for the 550. That 5th station proved to be invaluable to me. That's why I bought the Lee in the first place.

jmorris
09-16-2016, 10:12 PM
I estimate that I will only be reloading about 2-3k rounds a year.

You don't need a progressive press unless you want to load for the entire year in one afternoon.

You can load 6-9 rounds a day with a Lee classic loader and a hammer and have 2000-3000 rounds a year.

Eddie17
09-16-2016, 10:30 PM
Bought a Load Master after using a Pro 100 for years. Still us both. Check out InLine for accessories that help both. I really like the Skylight!176786176786

VHoward
09-16-2016, 11:21 PM
I praise the Loadmaster over the Dillon for one reason and one reason only. They both do the job and in my lifetime the Lee is still going, just as the Dillon is. When I compare the pluses and negatives the 2 come out even........so that leaves only the investment and the Lee is cheaper.

I just realized that most people compare the Dillon 550 variants to the Loadmaster. That's apples to oranges. The Lee is a 5 station unit....if you want that in blue then you're going to put out a helluva lot more money than for the 550. That 5th station proved to be invaluable to me. That's why I bought the Lee in the first place.

Since the loadmaster primes when the ram goes up, it kind of makes station 2 useless for anything but priming. Where is that 5th usable station that you can put a die in? Unless you are doing decapping only at station 1 and sizing the case at station 2?

kmw1954
09-16-2016, 11:45 PM
You know, I just wished people just stated that their choice of press works for them and leave it at that. I didn't bring Dillon into a Lee thread. I don't care for the word validation. If something works for you then great. I totally and completely agree with you.

Take care

r1kk1

I too agree with this line of thinking. Sad part from my observation is that when ever the topic of progressive presses comes up, whether here or other forums, there will always be a few that pipe up that Lee are plain and simple junk and one shouldn't waste their time. What they seem to overlook is that for what they are they are a fine inexpensive tool that will work. It's not the Best, Fastest or Sturdiest or most Prestigious but it does have a place or they wouldn't be selling so many of them.

Having just retired and taking up shooting again 9 mo. ago I didn't own a firearm or any reloading equipment. I'm doing this now because I enjoy it and it helps fill my time. As of now my equipment is all second hand. Started with a Lee Pro1000 because it was complete and cheap, $80.00 for the whole complete setup. Have since added an RCBS JR3 that I picked up for $40.00. Between these two presses there is nothing I have that I cannot reload safely, reliably and inexpensively. I also have no doubt that these two presses will still be working after I'm gone. Somehow I don't think I'm ever going to get to the point that I need to crank out 1k rounds a week or a month for that matter.

RobS
09-16-2016, 11:49 PM
Since the loadmaster primes when the ram goes up, it kind of makes station 2 useless for anything but priming. Where is that 5th usable station that you can put a die in? Unless you are doing decapping only at station 1 and sizing the case at station 2?

Nope, stage two is my expander plug to the depth of the base of the boolit as well as prime. Stage 3 is the powder and bell of the case if I need more than the Lyman style expander in Stage two

kmw1954
09-16-2016, 11:51 PM
You don't need a progressive press unless you want to load for the entire year in one afternoon.

You can load 6-9 rounds a day with a Lee classic loader and a hammer and have 2000-3000 rounds a year.

Exactly my point. I bought a used Pro 1000 because it was available cheap. If I could have came across a turret press for the same price I would have bought that and would have been perfectly happy.

jmorris
09-17-2016, 04:40 AM
Since the loadmaster primes when the ram goes up, it kind of makes station 2 useless for anything but priming. Where is that 5th usable station that you can put a die in?

For mine I wound up putting an extra powder die I had in station 2, it was the key in stopping priming problems. Lee makes the shell plate too big for 9mm so the die helps align the case.

I used:
1 to size/deprime
2 prime
3 powder charge
4 bullet drop
5 seat and crimp

I generally separate seat and crimp but was looking to assemble the worlds fastest Loadmaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9pjmuHAkBU

Alvarez Kelly
09-17-2016, 08:58 AM
Creative use of a Dillon case collator on the Lee press! :-)

jmorris
09-17-2016, 09:04 AM
Creative use of a Dillon case collator on the Lee press! :-)

Yeah, if you have to put every case base down into a tube manually your not saving any time, same thing goes for bullets.

The collators are the real time saver.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/LM/IMG_20151216_142500_317_zpsxbs7anct.jpg

jmort
09-17-2016, 09:12 AM
jmorris never ceases to amaze jmort. Crazy mad skills.

DerekP Houston
09-17-2016, 09:21 AM
Yeah, if you have to put every case base down into a tube manually your not saving any time, same thing goes for bullets.

The collators are the real time saver.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/LM/IMG_20151216_142500_317_zpsxbs7anct.jpg

Wow nice going!

dikman
09-17-2016, 07:00 PM
I love it! A wonderful array of bits and pieces hanging off it. Very Heath Robinson-ish :lol:.

As to some of the earlier posts, I guess I sort of inadvertently started the comparison thing by mentioning why I didn't buy the Dillon :roll:. Unfortunately, I've noticed that any Lee post inevitably deteriorates into Lee bashing/comparisons.

I just wonder how many of you chaps who bought a Dillon 650 would still have bought it if the initial cost was $1200?

Me, I'm happy with the LM. It suits me fine because I enjoy tinkering/modifying/improving things (although I'm not quite as serious as Mr. Morris).

jetinteriorguy
09-17-2016, 10:50 PM
I've had my LM for about a year and love. I've had some minor things but for the most part 90% were operator error. There is a learning curve but in the last year I've easily loaded somewhere between 7000-8000 rounds and wouldn't trade it for anything.

r1kk1
09-17-2016, 11:37 PM
I just wonder how many of you chaps who bought a Dillon 650 would still have bought it if the initial cost was $1200?

Me, I'm happy with the LM. It suits me fine because I enjoy tinkering/modifying/improving things (although I'm not quite as serious as Mr. Morris).

If you looked at the pics I posted, there is several thousand dollars laying on the bed. I have no problem dropping money on equipment as long as it doesn't require tinkering, fussing or distracting me from reloading.

Take care

r1kk1

kmw1954
09-18-2016, 12:29 AM
If you looked at the pics I posted, there is several thousand dollars laying on the bed. I have no problem dropping money on equipment as long as it doesn't require tinkering, fussing or distracting me from reloading.

Take care

r1kk1

Agreed. Some things we do in life cannot be quantified by money. The passion and joy that activity brings outweighs whatever money it takes to achieve it.

One reference I'll make is this. My wife and I have fished for many years together, she is a great companion and is a competitive person. She always used to fish with live bait or once in awhile with a spinner. One afternoon while on vacation and the day happened to be our anniversary, fishing was slow, nothing biting. So we went back into a marshy area to look for bass. I put on a rubber worm and started casting. Immediately caught fish. She was getting discouraged so I talked her into trying a rubber worm. 1st cast big bass! Her 1st fish ever on a rubber worm and the look on her face is one that stays with me to this day. That was ten years ago.

We have many thousands of dollars invested in boats, engines and tackle and none of it means as much to me as the time spent with my wife. Today with my health issues this is the 1st year of my adult life that I have not purchased a fishing license. With my diminishing mobility it was one of the reasons that I decided to get back into shooting and reloading. Also tomorrow with be the very first time my wife will ever fire a gun. I hope she enjoys it.

jmorris
09-18-2016, 12:32 AM

I can't speak for anyone except myself but I would go the 1050 route again before spending $1200 on a 650.

The Loadmaster was because I wanted a project, it filled no need. So I understand that mentality too. In the end I wouldn't trade it for any of my Dillon's because of value.

I did traded it (partially) for an upper. Now if I can only visit is in its new home in Hawaii...

kmw1954
09-18-2016, 01:05 AM
I can't speak for anyone except myself but I would go the 1050 route again before spending $1200 on a 650.

The Loadmaster was because I wanted a project, it filled no need. So I understand that mentality too. In the end I wouldn't trade it for any of my Dillon's because of value.

I did traded it (partially) for an upper. Now if I can only visit is in its new home in Hawaii...

Another only speaking for myself but if the press I have now broke beyond repair I'd buy another used one. So when I only reload 4 or 5 times a year I don't have to feel guiltily about it sitting idle for months on end.

jmorris
09-18-2016, 01:57 AM
So when I only reload 4 or 5 times a year I don't have to feel guiltily about it sitting idle for months on end.

Now if I could only get Mrs. Morris to feel the same way about purses and shoes I could afford a....

kmw1954
09-18-2016, 02:03 AM
Now if I could only get Mrs. Morris to feel the same way about purses and shoes I could afford a....

My wife has a NIKE fetish. don't tell anyone.

jmorris
09-18-2016, 02:09 AM
To be honest I haven't kept track of my wife's footwear since she bought me my first 1050.

It was such a surprise I had to ask her "why?". She said she needed more "snuggle" time. Again, a win, win...

Now that I think about it, maybe I should let her get that boat....

What were we talking about?

dikman
09-18-2016, 04:19 AM
What were we talking about?
Can't remember. Umm, shoes and boats? :lol:

Anyone want to talk about industrial sewing machines?[smilie=1:

6bg6ga
09-18-2016, 05:45 AM
One only has to look at what jmorris has done to his equipment to see that yes it is possible to make something run with 100% efficiency. Got a question about reliability? See what jmorris has done to make it work better and faster. I must admit I'm a die hard Dillon fan but watching jmorris's video has made a believer out of me and I 'm thinking about the press in the video.

toallmy
09-18-2016, 06:27 AM
I purchased a loadmaster about a year ago , and have loaded probably 7000 rounds on it . I have found it to be problem free . I don't use a bullet feeder but the case feeder works fine . Powder thrower is dependable as well . It is set up for 9s ,45 ,and 357 and does a fine job of loading them . Plenty of help online if you have a problem to . I watch every round I load as I load . I watch the primer drop , and when I set the bullet I look at the powder charge . My loadmaster came with the new primer system , and it looks like after it's body was cast the top was ground to line up the dies to the shell plate . It works for me .

dikman
09-18-2016, 07:19 AM
It works for me .

At the end of the day, my friend, that's all that matters.

jmorris
09-18-2016, 09:23 AM
^^^

Yep, if you're happy, so am I.