PDA

View Full Version : New KRBN-455WX SS Blackhawk Bisley Convertible 45 Colt/45 ACP

KMac
09-14-2016, 09:58 PM
Just picked it up Monday night. Been looking for this one for a few months in my price range. Found it last week. Brand new in box from dealer. He has had it since early 2014 and gave me a early 2014 price on it. Grabbed a box of 45acp ammo just to have something to shoot. When I tried to load the 45 ACP ammo it will not allow the cylinder to spin. The shell is stopping on the gun.
You cannot see from the pictures but it is the fluted 45ACP cylinder I am trying to load.
Is it just the cheap ammo? It is a Federal cheap brand and every picture I see of it online it is a different case, brass, nickel and aluminium.
This lot has a Speer headstamp but I believe they load it in every headstamp and shell that Federal has access to.
I will pick some 45 Colt ammo up tomorrow and see how it does. And my FIL is going to bring several different brands of 45ACP over tomorrow night to see if we have any different results.
The bright side is it has already save me money. If the 45 ACP ammo would have worked I would have shot all of it today.:D
Any suggestions? I am wanting to go fire this one so bad it is driving me crazy.

contender1
09-14-2016, 10:54 PM
Clean it good first.
I have one of those guns,,, and it's a sweetheart.
Also, try different ammo just in case,,,,!

KMac
09-14-2016, 10:58 PM
Clean it good first.
I have one of those guns,,, and it's a sweetheart.
Also, try different ammo just in case,,,,!

Thanks for the advice. You are right. I should have given it a good cleaning first. I will do that and try some different ammo.
Hopefully it is one or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DougGuy
09-14-2016, 11:04 PM
See if the ammo will go into the cylinder throats from the front all the way to the case mouth. If it won't, then the boolit itself is larger than the throat diameter and you would do well to have the cylinder throats reamed and honed to .4525" which will allow the use of ammo with .452" boolits. Factory ammo is usually sized to .451" but I have seen those throats many times in the .450" ~ .4505" range which obviously will not let a .451" boolit slide fully into the throats. Very common with the convertibles for whatever reason.

KMac
09-14-2016, 11:23 PM
See if the ammo will go into the cylinder throats from the front all the way to the case mouth. If it won't, then the boolit itself is larger than the throat diameter and you would do well to have the cylinder throats reamed and honed to .4525" which will allow the use of ammo with .452" boolits. Factory ammo is usually sized to .451" but I have seen those throats many times in the .450" ~ .4505" range which obviously will not let a .451" boolit slide fully into the throats. Very common with the convertibles for whatever reason.

DougGuy,
Is this what you are referring to? There is a noticeable gap and it looks like the bullet is not seating all the way into the cylinder.
I think you are on to something. Sending you a PM.

DougGuy
09-14-2016, 11:37 PM
I meant push it into the throat from the front, to see if the boolit itself is binding in the throat. You should be able to push it from the front until the case mouth stops it from going any farther. If the throat is smaller than the boolit, it won't go all the way to the case mouth without force. If this is the case, (pun intended) then this is what is holding it from chambering all the way and also what's binding the cylinder from turning. You would just be using the loaded round as a gage by seeing if it will go from the front.

KMac
09-15-2016, 12:16 AM

The bullet goes all the way in the front and is stopped by the shell.

RobS
09-15-2016, 01:20 AM
It appears that the cylinder throat in that particular chamber is larger than the jacket bullet as the case looks to be stopping on the cylinder face and the boolit fully into the cylinder throat. I know my Bisley 45 colt had .449 to .450 throats before I reamed them to .4525. There are a few possibilities as to why the round will not go full chamber. 1. The chamber reamer was not set deep enough at the factory to allow for 45 acp brass length to enter fully into the chamber (if you have an empty case that is of appropriate length try to insert it into each chamber) 2. The cylinder throat is somehow smaller diameter at the chamber end. 3. The factory rounds you purchased do not have standard length brass.

NavyVet1959
09-15-2016, 01:29 AM
Take an empty piece of .45ACP brass and see if it will fully seat and you can close the cylinder. If it can't, then the chamber is probably not cut deep enough. If you can close the cylinder, compare the length of that brass with the length of the brass on the loaded rounds you are having a problem with. If the loaded brass is the longer than the empty brass, then the problem is probably with the loaded ammo. If the loaded brass is the same size or shorter, then the problem is probably with an insufficient leade in the cylinder. If you need more leade, check with DougGuy -- he does that sort of work.

gray wolf
09-15-2016, 02:24 PM
I think it's post #5 that shows the case is not fully into the chamber.
Take a piece of 45 A C P empty brass and file or trim it short, see if it fits.
If it fits after being trimmed then the chamber was cut short.

shoot-n-lead
09-15-2016, 02:35 PM
I have the same gun...mine WILL NOT chamber 45acp ammo...hasn't since the day it was unboxed.

But, I don't care as I have no reason to shoot 45acp in it, anyway. Matter of fact, I don't shoot 45 colt anymore...sold all of the rest of them...just kept this one to say that I had one.

At any rate, yours is not the only one with this problem...just Ruger BS quality control, beginning to resemble Taurus, in that regard. I have a New Vaquero in 44 special that came from the factory locking up...returned it to Ruger...they returned it, still locking up.

DougGuy
09-15-2016, 03:07 PM
KMac yeah that's how I wanted you to check it, assuming that is a .451" bullet loaded in there, as RobS says it goes in the throat on the front but if the rear is different, it may be holding the case from fully chambering. I would suggest checking with some empty cases and see if the binding goes away. It will not hurt for the cylinder(s) to be .4525" in fact this is most common size for using .452" boolits which are the most common size for both .45 ACP and .45 Colt.

As I have explained in this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?315871-Sizing-to-Cylinder-Throats

Cylinder throats come from the factory on the small side as a general rule, it's where Ruger extends the life of their throating reamers to keep costs down.

(http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?315871-Sizing-to-Cylinder-Throats)

KMac
09-15-2016, 03:09 PM
DougGuy,
I will check it tonight with an empty case. If I need to I will be sending the cylinders to you.

jonp
09-15-2016, 08:17 PM
One Blackhawk I have will not spin Winchester Ammo because of the same problem. The rim is just a bit too thick.

KMac
09-15-2016, 08:25 PM
One Blackhawk I have will not spin Winchester Ammo because of the same problem. The rim is just a bit too thick.

I bought some HSM 45 Colt Cowboy loads to try it out since the 45ACP wouldnt spin. Same issue, different cylinder. The 45 Colt seems to drop all of the way in unlike the 45ACP, but looks to get hung up on the loading gate. I can put one in the Cylinder and start it right past the loading gate and put the cylinder rod back in and it will spin around to the loading gate and hang.

KMac
09-15-2016, 08:29 PM
I think it's post #5 that shows the case is not fully into the chamber.
Take a piece of 45 A C P empty brass and file or trim it short, see if it fits.
If it fits after being trimmed then the chamber was cut short.
You are right that the 45ACP is not dtopping all of the way into the cylinder and it could be cut short, but I got some 45 Colt ammo today and it does drop all of the way in but still hangs at the loading gate.

Dale53
09-15-2016, 11:40 PM
I have a Ruger Bisley .45 ACP/.45 Colt Convertible. When I received it, it would not allow me to chamber my cast .45 ACP bullet reloads. Further, .45 Colt loads would chamber in the appropriate cylinder but it would lead terribly. Both cylinders had undersize throats. After I reamed both cylinders to .4525", all problems went away!

The revolver, with either cylinder and a variety of loads will, on demand, shoot under an inch at 25 yards off a rest.

it has become one of my favorite revolvers.

FWIW,
Dale53

KMac
09-15-2016, 11:47 PM
It definite needs the 45 Colt cylinder reamed. 45 colt bullets that measure .451 will not fit into the cylinder. I am not sure that is all that is wrong with it because when I load the bullets into the cylinder they seem to go all the way in and seat all the way in but still stop on the loading gate. But since the cylinder needs to be reamed anyway I think I will start with that and see if it fixes it.

jonp
09-16-2016, 07:59 AM
DougGuy can help you out on that

KMac
09-16-2016, 03:23 PM
DougGuy can help you out on that

Thanks. I am going to send the cylinders to Doug probably next week.