PDA

View Full Version : Getting a barrel relined question?

Terryrm1-03
09-14-2016, 12:39 PM
Looking at an old Marlin 32 Cal. Bore is gone. If I get it relined does it stay the same caliber? Or is it done a larger caliber? Thanks for your input. Trying to get this figured before buying it.
Thanks Terry

Ballistics in Scotland
09-14-2016, 12:47 PM
Both are usually possible, but you should check something like the Numrich site, www.gunpartscorp.com (http://www.gunpartscorp.com) , to find out whether any other parts, such as the cartridge lifter or magazine parts, would require replacing. Those parts tend to fall into families, the same parts being fine for .25-20 and .32-20, others for .25-35 to .38-55, and so on.

John Taylor, who posts regularly here, does this work and would be the man to consult.

Wayne Smith
09-14-2016, 12:48 PM
If the barrel is heavy enough it may be able to be bored out to a larger caliber. Relining can be anything you want, but usually the same caliber because the action and bolt are set up (optimized) for that.

Ithaca Gunner
09-14-2016, 02:47 PM
Should you decide to rebore I would recommend JES reboring. He did a Winchester for me with a shot out .30 WCF barrel to .38-55 and it shoots great. Fast turn around, good communication, and reasonable cost.

John Boy
09-14-2016, 03:19 PM
If I get it relined does it stay the same caliber? Or is it done a larger caliber?
Yes, same caliber with no modifications. Yes for a larger caliber and about 5 different parts have to be installed. You'll have to have the parts fitted and the big issue is you'll have a hard time finding them all
Stay with the 32 WCF - great caliber

Shawlerbrook
09-14-2016, 03:31 PM
Heard many good things about John Taylor when it comes to relining a barrel. When it's done correctly you cannot tell by looking at it.

OverMax
09-15-2016, 09:04 AM
Older Marlin. Have the Smith reline to its current caliber. (32 cal) If not intending to shoot B/Powder cartridges ask the Smith for his opinion on having a different twist-rate installed. Other than your rifles current boring > (1-16)

JRD
09-16-2016, 10:33 AM
Is your .32 Marlin a .32-20 or .32 Special? If a .32-20 you should be able to get it relined with no problem. Last time I read about liners on Brownells tech section, I recall the liner manufacturers only recommend using liners in low pressure cartridges such as .32-20, .38-40, & .44-40 and similar applications. They specifically warn against full power rifle rounds like .30-30.
John Taylor of this forum relined a Winchester 1892 .32-20 for me about 10 or 12 years ago. I've been very happy with the rifle and reline job he did. Relining to the original chambering is the easiest way to go assuming you have a rifle that can be relined. Start changing calibers and you may get into changing the feeding system as well.

Terryrm1-03
09-16-2016, 11:11 AM
Thank you for the replies guys. She's 32-20 and I'd like to keep girt that way. Will I have to remove the barrel or will John?
Can anyone give me a ballpark figure how much this runs? Thanks Terry

QUOTE=JRD;3778934]Is your .32 Marlin a .32-20 or .32 Special? If a .32-20 you should be able to get it relined with no problem. Last time I read about liners on Brownells tech section, I recall the liner manufacturers only recommend using liners in low pressure cartridges such as .32-20, .38-40, & .44-40 and similar applications. They specifically warn against full power rifle rounds like .30-30.
John Taylor of this forum relined a Winchester 1892 .32-20 for me about 10 or 12 years ago. I've been very happy with the rifle and reline job he did. Relining to the original chambering is the easiest way to go assuming you have a rifle that can be relined. Start changing calibers and you may get into changing the feeding system as well.[/QUOTE]

John Boy
09-16-2016, 12:03 PM
Can anyone give me a ballpark figure how much this runs?Using John Taylor, about $400 and a long wait time due to his work load
There are plenty of competent smiths that reline barrels - do it cheaper and turn around is faster. I just had a 32-20 liner installed in a rifle = $119 for liner & $150 for the install & chamber rental. Three week turn around

Ballistics in Scotland
09-16-2016, 12:37 PM
You would have to consult John Taylor for all that. I haven't heard of him being the sort to insist on barrel removal by you or by him unless there was reason. I can imagine he might want headspacing to be under his own control for any job he puts his reputation behind. But if he does allow you to send only the barrel, it might let you out of having the rifle sent back via a FFL dealer. No doubt somebody who knows the law better can inform you on that.

I am sure Brownells want to cover their rears against what people with varying standards of work may do with their liners. I remember an "American Rifleman" article reprinted in "The NRA Gunsmithing Guide Updated" which described how some gunsmiths silver soldered a steel slug of larger diameter to the end of the liner. This could be a more durable steel than anyone could rifle, and a tighter fit in the chamber than the liner you would want to slide smoothly through the reamed bore. The accuracy of that reaming is important too. I think it could be done for higher pressure cartridges than Brownells list, but you should take the advice of a reputable gunsmith with a reputation for the job.

JRD
09-18-2016, 08:51 AM
Back years ago when John Taylor relined my 1892 he asked me to remove the stock and ship him the barreled action. That eliminated the chance to the stock being damaged in transit. As for lead time and cost, my experience reflects what he was doing 10 or more years ago. Best contact him directly for a quote and lead time. As stated by others, there are other competant smiths who can reline barrels as well.
Good luck. Relining was very much worthwhile in my case. Turned a rifle with a badly pitted bore that wouldn't group into a good shooter that I was able to use in a bunch of cowboy action matches back in the day.

Shawlerbrook
09-18-2016, 10:59 AM
No need to use an ffl to send a gun to a licensed gunsmith and have it returned to the owner( at least here in NYS , unless something changed very recently).

Wind
09-18-2016, 12:42 PM
Hey there Terry -- There may be plenty of folks out there capable of doing relines. I am however a big fan of John Taylor's http://johntaylormachine.com/ work. When you get your rifle back, you will never know there is a liner in it!! It's important to contact him before sending your barreled action in for a reline. E-mail is the better medium for this. Ask him about including some dummy rounds if you anticipate using a "non standard" bullet.

Here is some of his work...

176882 A before and after pix of a Marlin 1894 32-20 barrel

176883 My Winchester 1895 30 US barrel liner

176884 My Marlin 38-55 with an "uncommon" round barrel

176885 I'll sometimes "age" the shiny relined muzzle

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

Best regards. Wind

Terryrm1-03
09-18-2016, 05:44 PM
Thanks guys! Excellent pics Wind, thank you!
Hey there Terry -- There may be plenty of folks out there capable of doing relines. I am however a big fan of John Taylor's http://johntaylormachine.com/ work. When you get your rifle back, you will never know there is a liner in it!! It's important to contact him before sending your barreled action in for a reline. E-mail is the better medium for this. Ask him about including some dummy rounds if you anticipate using a "non standard" bullet.

Here is some of his work...

176882 A before and after pix of a Marlin 1894 32-20 barrel

176883 My Winchester 1895 30 US barrel liner

176884 My Marlin 38-55 with an "uncommon" round barrel

176885 I'll sometimes "age" the shiny relined muzzle

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

Best regards. Wind

TXGunNut
09-18-2016, 07:31 PM
Last I heard he's backed up six months but that was a few months ago. I figure the rifle's 100 yrs old so six months is really no biggie. I've used 'smiths with a two year turnaround time.