PDA

View Full Version : Considering a caliber change. Could I have opinions on value?

Strtspdlx
09-14-2016, 07:58 AM
So I'm not very well versed in mold value. I have a Lyman 429421 2 cavity mold that cast well but the bullets aren't exactly perfectly round. Probably about .0015 out of round, it's the round lube groove version. I also have a Lyman 4 cavity 429421 square groove with handles. Although the wood should ultimately be replaced. I have decided 44 special or magnum are far beyond my needs at this point and is either like to sell or trade these for molds for 40s&w, possibly 45 acp, and 357 magnum. So would it be appropriate to ask something like $120 shipped for the 4 cavity and something like $50 shipped for the two cavity. Keep in mind they are used. The two cavity has no flaws aside from the alignment and it doesn't have handles. The 4 cavity does and it has a song in the corner of two cavities. I have no idea how they got there but you can barely tell they're there in the cast Boolits.

Bigslug
09-14-2016, 09:01 AM
Seems pretty high to me on the 4-cavity, which new goes for about that much, and a little high for the 2-cavity - both molds having some buyer beware issues. The 429421 is not in any way a rare bird, and you can get excellent copies of it from just about any maker, in any material, without any of the "authenticity" issues that plague the various vintage Lymans among more advance casters with concerns about lube groove shape and driving band specs.

But as for "far beyond your needs". . .just load 'em lighter. There's very little to choose between a .44 Special and a .45 Auto in the sub-900 fps bracket, and the Keith bullet is fun, fun, FUN to shoot when so loaded. At about 750 out of a Smith Mountain Gun, you have a shoot-all-day load that will still settle the hash of most critters on two legs or four.

MrWolf
09-14-2016, 09:52 AM
Agree with Bigslug. Grafs has the 4 cav for $96.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-14-2016, 11:56 AM
As for "appropriate", You can ask whatever $$$ you want, but you should ask yourself, since the prices you mention seem close to retail, why would someone buy your molds, instead of ordering a new mold?

If your goal is to get the maximum $$$ from your items and you don't mind the risk, you could sell them auction style and see what the market will bear? But I will also mention that rare items fair much better with auctions, and common items, not so much. It's that dang "supply and demand" thingy.

My personal suggestion, please don't be offended...post good clear photos, include what size boolits the mold made for you with what your alloy is, then drop your pricing by about 40% to make a quick sale and a happy customer and probably a new castboolit friend...be sure to secure the mold halves and pack well for shipment.
Good Luck,
Jon

Strtspdlx
09-14-2016, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the opinions guys. The prices I listed where what I had paid for them not quite realizing what they where and what actual market was on them at the time. I sometimes do that. I think it's called an impulse buy. I may just hang onto them and see if the need ever arises to use them for anything. I should've done more research before my eyes gleamed at the sight of a "Keith" mold.

runfiverun
09-14-2016, 01:04 PM
keith doesn't quite carry the name it used to.
many molds are surpassing his designs.
the 241 is an outstanding 44 special type speed mold though and the 44 mag can easily be down loaded to the specials velocity's.
trading in a 44 special for the 45 acp is just changing the spots on the tiger, they are weight/velocity/powder companions with the edge for penetration going to the special.
if it's a recoil problem then lowering the boolit weight in the heavier 44 guns will actually lower the recoil impulse over a lighter 357 revolver.
I started shooting 165 gr rnfps in my 45 colts some time back and they are like shooting bulls eye type loads in a 38 special.
I just about turned the revolver around to look down the barrel the first time I shot one but I could see the hole in the paper.