PDA

View Full Version : Lube & Gas Checks

Crummyshooter
09-14-2016, 05:12 AM
I have a lube sizer, but I have been using it only for seating gas checks. For what I am loading (38-55 & 45-70) now I don't size the boolit. I seat the gas check then pan lube. From what I see, some folks lube first then the gas check. Any reason for or against either way?

Hickory
09-14-2016, 05:47 AM
What ever works best for you.

Personally, I'd use the sizer/luber to take advantage of all of its features, which are:
It can size/lube/seat gas check in one operation and it is much faster and less messy then pan lubing.

44man
09-14-2016, 07:49 AM
You don't want lube under the check. It could tip them. You also do not want a check larger then the boolit. Say a .430" with a check applied at .432", the check will expand the brass and destroy tension.

odfairfaxsub
09-14-2016, 09:33 AM
Good point 44man

runfiverun
09-14-2016, 12:44 PM
I check size-lube all in one operation.
some boolits prefer to have the check seated first then lube sized and I'm cool with that.
but if I were pain lubing[for some odd reason] i'd seat the check then lube then size.
that way I know I have all the same size boolits and that the check is firmly in place where it belongs.

Crummyshooter
09-14-2016, 02:14 PM
The reason I gave up on lubing with the lube sizer was, I could not get consistent filling of the grooves. Also with my (Lyman) tool, by the time I get hot (warm) enough to work, it squirts lube out the bottom. More of a mess than pan. Or as someone said pain lube.

44man
09-14-2016, 02:22 PM
The reason I gave up on lubing with the lube sizer was, I could not get consistent filling of the grooves. Also with my (Lyman) tool, by the time I get hot (warm) enough to work, it squirts lube out the bottom. More of a mess than pan. Or as someone said pain lube.
Lube too hard if it needs heat.