PDA

View Full Version : Bighorn 90 finally on the way!

Les Staley
09-13-2016, 09:17 PM
Mods please delete this uninteresting post. Thanks

Ramjet-SS
09-15-2016, 09:29 AM
Frankly this is very interesting to me. These are very well built rifles that have been on my "want" list. The 460 in a rifle is a really capable cartridge that can be used all over the world for any game on this earth. I would love to hear more about the rifle including a review of it once you have run some different loads through it.

Les Staley
09-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Well, I received Fed Ex tracking, and the gun should be delivered Monday the 19th. So pics will be taken and I have 50 rounds of handloads w/300 gr cast gas checked booltets loaded. Should be a great squirrel/gopher getter. Will post a overall impression and range report mid week.

Ickisrulz
09-15-2016, 09:18 PM
I read the OP and then looked up the rifle on the manufacturer's website. It looks awesome, but expensive. I look forward to your pictures and report.

Les Staley
09-17-2016, 12:04 AM
Surprise, it came this evening. Over all impressions, not as heavy as I was expecting. Compact and solid. Easy to handle, and sights are right there when it is shouldered. Marble inserts fit the threaded aperature. Action is very stiff, working the lever smartly makes the carrier flip up, quite a snag on the way back closed as the bolt pushes the carrier down. Getting better as I play with it. Will try a leather glove on my lever hand and work it a few hundred Times. Wood is gorgeous. Tomorrow is not gonna work out to shoot and take pictures. Sunday will have to be the day.

Ramjet-SS
09-17-2016, 09:31 AM
I will bet it will smooth right up well built guns tend to be stiff that is good thing as it usually will mean a fine shooting rifle. I bet that extra heft will be nice with perceived recoil. What grade wood did you get?

One of these rifles is on my short list. I had 460 in a Ruger number one that gun had more recoil than I expected. But it was a very powerful rifle and accurate to boot. But I love the idea of repeater.

I would run a few rounds of Jwords the clean it then shoot the cast.

Looking forward to to the range report.

Les Staley
09-17-2016, 10:23 AM
I went for broke. Number 1 walnut.

ammohead
09-17-2016, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the picture. That is a fine looking firearm. I might like a couple more inches in barrel length, but that is just me. Can't wait to hear how she shoots cast.

Ramjet-SS
09-17-2016, 02:47 PM
Oh my goodness that is outstanding. I think I actually drooled on my IPad!

That gun should make a great Moose and Elk rifle as well as bear and deer ......... well anything else you want to hunt. It looks like you just spent some of my retirement money!!!!!!!

Windwalker 45acp
09-17-2016, 03:05 PM
Not a fan of the action type, but kudo's to a superb looking rifle!

The Walnut contrasting with the SS is stunning.

Edward
09-17-2016, 04:41 PM
Bet that"s hard to put away at night ;-)

Blackwater
09-17-2016, 05:05 PM
A beautiful rifle is a wondrous thing to behold. Thanks for the pic. I'm green with envy!

TXGunNut
09-18-2016, 08:34 PM
Nice! More into blue steel these days but that turned out OK. Is that stainless or some type of e-nickel finish? Wood is simply awesome. Looking forward to the range report.

Les Staley
09-18-2016, 11:58 PM
TXgunnut, it is called mat stainless. The lever and spring cover are obviously stainless, but the receiver and barrel look coated to me. Not complaining in the least. Looks great! Took six shots this morning at 50 yds. Two three shot groups including a sight adjust. The first load tried is a Lee RNFPGC of COWW sized 452 weighing 311 gr in front of 28 gr 5744. Will take some more pics tomorrow, including detail pics of lever/spring cover and target. This carbine balances right centered on the receiver, slightly nose heavy w/six in the magazine..carries just like it should..

Les Staley
09-20-2016, 06:54 PM
Here's a range report and a couple pictures. Shoots this load fine at 50 yds, but is unstable at 100. Will have to warm it up some get improvement.

Les Staley
09-20-2016, 06:57 PM
177060Here's s'mores'more

Ramjet-SS
09-20-2016, 10:00 PM
That rifle is really nice. If I had one criticism it would be the rear sight. It looks cheesy on such a refined nice rifle. I like a simple rugged aperture sight like Skinner or XS Sights. It is just my personal opinion and I am interested on how you feel about the rear sight arrangement ? I really like the sling swivel arrangement. Crank that rifle up and keep us up to speed on how the load development is going.

Les Staley
09-21-2016, 12:44 AM
Ramjet, I would have prefered the tang be drilled and tapped for a peep sight myself, but the existing sight works well. It's made by Marble, and the aperatures from the tang sight screw right in. The 460 is a foot to the floor flat out caliber, and will undoubtedly shoot better loaded that way, but I'm gonna try to get a load or two with cast bullets. Will keep you all posted as to progress.

Ramjet-SS
09-21-2016, 07:20 AM
Thanks Les no doubt sights are subjective.

What is the rate of twist on this gun? That may have much to do with how it reacts to light loaded bullets?

What is the front sight?

I prefer because of my aging eyes green fiber optic it seem to "pop" for me.

Les Staley
09-21-2016, 10:48 AM
The ROT is 1/32. Talked with Sheila at Big Horn Armory this morning and have a green fiber optic front sight on the way. A few years back I talked with Veral Smith and ordered a mould for a 452 spitzer with no grease grooves for use in sabots in a muzzle loader. Cast up a few last night, powder coated them and will size and load some this morning. See what they'll do..

Les Staley
09-21-2016, 11:34 AM
Here's the powder coated bullets ready to be sized. Will give them a try next week. Will have to load single shot because they're pointed. Hope they don't fall into the lagoon.....

Ramjet-SS
09-21-2016, 01:46 PM
ahh my old buddy Veral I have not talked with him for years. He is the king of cast bullets.

1-32" you are going to have to drive them bullets hard. I would definitely try some lighter bullets.

Ramjet-SS
09-21-2016, 02:00 PM
By the way if you go to edit rotate the picture and save it they will turn right side up. My I pad does the same thing.

Les Staley
09-21-2016, 09:36 PM
Can't find rotate picture. Makes sense about a lighter bullet. These are 317 gr, even heavier than the 311s that wouldn't stabalize. Have some 230 RN for the 1911. Maybe give these a go. Thanks for the suggestion.

smoked turkey
09-21-2016, 11:48 PM
I will put in my $.02. I totally agree about your awesome rifle. The wood contrast with the mat stainless is very nice. I venture to say that it will take any game animal that walks if fed the appropriate ammo. One thing about it if a creature comes out of that lagoon you have the right stuff to dispatch it. Good that you are planning ahead that way!

Ramjet-SS
09-22-2016, 08:04 AM
Les, The RN may not be large enough diameter wise. Reach out to members here and see if anyone will sell you 20 WFN 250-270 grain sized slightly over groove diameter.
l also suggest purchase some Buffalobore ammo or Hornady XTP ammo try them out see if you can establish a baseline for velocity and accuracy.

Les Staley
09-22-2016, 12:08 PM
Good idea on the baseline. My buddy has a S&W X frame and has some factory ammo. I have to make a new sky screen for my chronograph so I can tell where I'm at. Not much info available for rifles that I have found...only questions..not so much in the answer dept. Maybe I can help fill in some gaps.
Smoked turkey, this ain't the Black Lagoon, but you're right. You never know.. Best to be ready!