PDA

View Full Version : Question about Lee TL430-240swc

stubert
09-13-2016, 01:55 PM
I am looking for a swc mold for my 44 mag. and 44 spec. I am looking at the above mold and was wondering if it can be lubed in a Lyman 450 sizer instead of tumbled. I want that bullet because is is listed as .430 diam. Also does anyone here have this mold tl430-240swc? What does it cast at? Can it be lubed in a sizer? Thanks, Stu

Texas by God
09-13-2016, 03:03 PM
I have that mold and have used it in .44sp/mag with good results as cast and tumble lubed. I'm not sure it would work in a conventional lubrisizer. Mine drop at .4295". Best, Thomas.

Bookworm
09-13-2016, 03:23 PM
I have it too. Mine drop at .430 -.4305 using half CWW/half range lead.
I've never bothered sizing them, just tumble-lube and shoot. Leading has not been a problem, but I haven't pushed them hard, just up to about 1175fps so far.
If I were to do it over, I'd get the 6-banger. Probably will anyway, and sell the 2-holer.

Bookworm
09-13-2016, 03:26 PM
BTW - the TL430-240SWC in my Ruger SBH Hunter is very accurate at about 1000fps, and then even more so at about 1125fps.
Still testing, may find another sweet spot at a higher velocity.

44man
09-14-2016, 08:53 AM
Jeeze, why do I post? I HATE TL in any form. I shoot TL boolits with Felix lube all the time. It works better then snot.

runfiverun
09-14-2016, 12:48 PM
it's a good mold actually but lube sizing it is just too much lube.
I t/l with my version of 45/45 lube then size then t/l again.
I don't shoot that many of them because I can just lube size the others and be done with it.
but it does shoot very well in the 44 special at lower target speed velocity's.

mdi
09-14-2016, 12:59 PM
My very first mold was that same mold. My very first lubing was done with the old Lee kit; a small pan, a "cookie cutter", a sizing die and a punch, sizing the bullets to .430". Can't remember the lube, but it was a traditional wax based lube. I used that combo (pan lubing T/L bullets) for about 8-10 months supplying bullets for my 629 and then I tried dip lubing in alox. Both methods worked well and I occasionally tried shooting the bullets as the dropped from the mold (.430"-.4315" depending on alloy) which also worked...

As far as sizing in a lubrisizer, I haven tried 'cause I don't own one. I dip and pan lube and have done so for mebbe 18 years. Works quite well for me...

ohiomadman
09-14-2016, 01:09 PM
I have this mold in a 6-banger. Drops really nice boolits at .430-.4305. Lube with alox, no sizing.

They shoot very good out of my Puma 92 with 18 grains of 2400 under them.

nagantguy
09-14-2016, 01:47 PM
the above mentioned mold by the OP was also my first mold, still have it still love it, now I pc them, from special velocity to full and then some h110 loads it a grate all around boolit design, deer and hogs I've taken with it never once complained that it wasn't a true "Keith" style boolit or that if fell from a 17 dollar mold nor did they seem to notice any diffrence between the alox lube or the new pc in gloss black. if you get a good lee mold in this flavor, it will offer years of good service and I'm serious it is a accurate boolit in many flavors of wheel gun or carbine!

Tackleberry41
09-14-2016, 02:07 PM
It was one of my first molds. I dont generally mess with tumble lube anymore, most of my stuff is powder coated. But cant see why it couldn't be stuffed thru a conventional sizer/lube press. It is plain base, and the tumble lube set up seems to require them to be driven slower, just not much of a driving band to grip the rifling if driven hard.

As to coming out .430...maybe, just the way Lee molds are. Might want to look at something else like an NOE with a gascheck where it can be driven harder if you want, or left off for lighter loads. Alot of their molds can be had in a hollow point set up.

RogerDat
09-14-2016, 02:26 PM
Use this to cast for one of the boys. Nice and easy with tumble lube of 45/45/10 and fat enough that they don't fall over when I shake and bake them with powder coat.

TL are cast from better alloy, the PC can be 50/50 COWW and Pb with a bit of Sn and they seem fine at moderate loads. The TL I think are either COWW + 2% Sn or Lyman #2 for the stuff I want to load hotter for pistol or Handi Rifle.

shoot-n-lead
09-14-2016, 02:40 PM
It is a pretty good bullet...but, I would go ahead and get a 429421, especially, since you already have a lube/sizer...there are few better bullets for a 44 and molds are no problem to find.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-14-2016, 03:46 PM
It looks like I am in the minority here. I didn't like it...I guess I prefer Lee molds with traditional lube grooves. I don't know if I still have the mold or if I sold it? I'd have to check the Lee mold pile, to see it it's still there.

Side note, I do like the grooves on a Ranch Dog design TL mold, they are larger than Lee's TL grooves and actually take to lubing in a lube sizer, much like a Lovern style rifle boolit.

mdi
09-14-2016, 04:08 PM
Yep, Jon, it is what it is; a tumble lube style "semi-wadcutter". IIRC there isn't a front driving band, just "microgrooved" the full length of the body. It is a good starter bullet, easy to cast and drops easily from a clean mold. No need to size for most guns and no "extra" lubing equipment needed (although some can't stand alox). But shoot-n-lead is right, if the OP already have a lubrisizer, it wouldn't hurt to go with a 429421 (or an equivalent)...

shoot-n-lead
09-14-2016, 07:09 PM
It looks like I am in the minority here. I didn't like it...

Jon, you are in the minority, but not alone. I was being kind with my comments on the Lee bullet...I don't care for it or any tumble lube bullet, from any maker. Tumble lube works just as well on traditional grooves as it does on those stupid little ripples.