View Full Version : Handloading for the S&W #3

quail4jake
09-12-2016, 10:05 AM
I would like to open a dialogue about loading and firing the S&W #3; including originals, repros, .45 LC, .45 S&W, .44s etc.
My experience has thus far landed me at 250gr .454 RNFP cast in Hardball alloy ahead of 5gr Titegroup in a .45 LC Uberti repro. Leaves town @ 620 fps and groups about 4" on the top of the front sight @ 25 yds. Will post pics in the future.
Anyone with a "topbreaker" please chime in!:wink:

dtknowles
09-12-2016, 10:57 AM
Not sure what you want to talk about? Mine is a Double Action #3 New Frontier in 44-40 with 200 gr. RNFP over Trail Boss. I have not shot it across my Chrono. I use the starting load and they come out the barrel so I am happy and yes it shoots high.

Tim

Wayne Smith
09-12-2016, 05:52 PM
There is a big difference between the originals and the modern ones. The originals had thin cylinder walls and are only safe with BP level loads. Mine was made in 2000 and is in 45S&W and I use full loads in it. It is a modern gun in all ways.

Tackleberry41
09-12-2016, 06:10 PM
I just use a standard unique load under a NOE 230gr HP thats powder coated. Have to keep the box marked as my other 3 45 colt are loaded hotter.

quail4jake
09-12-2016, 10:42 PM
Have you slugged the bore? I would like to know how the S&W reman. compares to the Uberti repro. Mine is a Uberti and the groove diameter is .453 so I went to sizing to .454 which, of course solved all the poor grouping and leading issues. What, in your opinion, is the upper limit of MV / pressure that we should apply? I've been treating mine like an original breaktop just because I've never found any data to suggest it's safe to go higher. My load is 620 fps with a 250gr RNFP which is great for steel targets and groundhogs but you'd like a bit more snort for deer.

There is a big difference between the originals and the modern ones. The originals had thin cylinder walls and are only safe with BP level loads. Mine was made in 2000 and is in 45S&W and I use full loads in it. It is a modern gun in all ways.

quail4jake
09-12-2016, 10:44 PM
That's what I wanted to talk about. Thanks!

Not sure what you want to talk about? Mine is a Double Action #3 New Frontier in 44-40 with 200 gr. RNFP over Trail Boss. I have not shot it across my Chrono. I use the starting load and they come out the barrel so I am happy and yes it shoots high.

Tim

dtknowles
09-13-2016, 11:00 AM
That's what I wanted to talk about. Thanks!

You're welcome. With my revolver I can use 45 colt brass so I guess my chambers are on the large side. I have not slugged the bore or checked the throats. I use soft lead same as I use in my cap and ball revolvers. The gun is in my avatar picture. It has a strange double action trigger pull, it is a true trigger cocking action, I can hold with the hammer back in double action as it has what I guess is a lot of stacking at the break point.

Tim

Tackleberry41
09-13-2016, 12:50 PM
I never checked my bore. It shoots the same cast bullets as my other guns fine, sized .452. I just stay in the standard pressure section of the book, they clock at 850fps or so for a 230gr. I think its less of an issue of the cylinder walls than the latch when it comes to pressure. The conversion cyl for one of my 1858 cap and ball guns, is way thinner and works fine with the same loads.