PDA

View Full Version : Ruger sbh

NC_JEFF
09-12-2016, 07:33 AM
Guys I can't seem to talk myself out of buying a 44 magnum so I'm going to the gun show in 6 days. My question....
I'll be looking heavily at used SBH's, what should I be looking for that will disqualify one as a "do not buy"? Any help is appreciated

Piedmont
09-12-2016, 08:36 AM
I would look to see if there is much forcing cone erosion on the barrel or pounding of the frame at the rear where the cylinder rests against it. Both of those would be disqualifiers or at least price lowerers. Make sure the front sight is straight. If it is a blued gun look for rust in the barrel. Rusty barrels can still shoot but why buy a possible problem? Maybe check the barrel cylinder gap with a feeler gauge. I wouldn't want an overly large one (over around .008").

44man
09-12-2016, 09:07 AM
They are tanks but many are shot dry. That will cause wear on the cylinder pin, front and rear, bashing the recoil plate. A gun shot a lot will have some sand blasting on the cone edges.
I keep my cylinders clean and lubed with STP, it cushions like no other lube. Mine is over 81,000 heavy loads with no wear but I do have some sand blasting, it does not affect how my gun shoots. The cone is still good inside.
There is one thing going for you, many do not shoot the .44 that much, seen many with only a few shots for sale. It really does scare some. I have seen some with the original box of ammo with 5 shots missing. Many bite more then they can chew and the larger the caliber, the less wear you will see.
As said, look for rust and wear near the muzzle from poor rods. Guys over clean with no muzzle protector. One piece steel rods with a protector will never harm a gun. Toss aluminum 2 or 3 piece rods in the trash.
Good luck, you might get a winner.

Shuz
09-12-2016, 10:33 AM
In addition to wear points others have mentioned, pull the cylinder pin out and look for wear on it from the cylinder pin latch.

contender1
09-12-2016, 10:45 AM
I assume you are headed to the Hickory gunshow. It's a good show,,, and you may find what you are looking for.
You didn't mention if you are looking for a New Model, or an Old Model.
The wear issues mentioned above are on the money. And especially the fact that in general, most will NOT be well worn & over abused. Many people buy a 44 mag & find they can't handle the recoil, over a few rounds at a time.
If you want honest help, look for a guy named Steve Webb. He'll have a table, and has an assortment of firearms. He can give you a good honest evaluation of any gun you find. (He's about 6'-2", dark hair, of what's left of it, about 40 years old, and has a slight beard.)

44man
09-12-2016, 12:37 PM
The worst I seen was holster wear on blue. Just carry and might not have had 10 shots through it. Super buy if I had money. I call it honest wear, not abuse.
A stainless can have scratches but Scotch-Brite will make it like new.

Driver33
09-12-2016, 01:56 PM
I think a store in town has one or two. If u want I'll try to swing by tomorrow an check there prices an condition of them

DougGuy
09-12-2016, 02:14 PM
Carry a plastic jag on a cleaning rod that you can patch into the bore with pieces of paper towel. Pushing this down the bore will let you "feel" any tight spots, especially right at the barrel/frame juncture. Many older SBH will have a slight bulge here, you can feel the jag get totally loose for about 1/2" at the front of the frame. The thing you want to avoid, is a barrel where the jag stops and is difficult to push through the part where it is threaded into the frame. This would spell out a bit of thread choke.

The forcing cone is easy to recut, and the cylinder throats can (and usually need to) be reamed and/or honed to a specific size or at least evened out with the largest throat. These are easy fixes and should be addressed on any Ruger you want to shoot cast boolits with since nearly none of them are sized correctly.

NC_JEFF
09-12-2016, 03:27 PM
Sounds like great advice, I'll be putting together a list of "checkpoints"

NC_JEFF
09-12-2016, 03:28 PM
I think a store in town has one or two. If u want I'll try to swing by tomorrow an check there prices an condition of them.....

That would be great, it's the Hickory gun show I'm going to so Lenoir is just a few minutes further

Driver33
09-14-2016, 07:51 AM
Will swing by in a little while an check for you

44man
09-14-2016, 09:31 AM
Find a good one with a small problem for size, Doug will fix it reasonable.
I have not needed him since I have done gunsmith work forever and have most tools but he has never been wrong. Trust him to care for you.

Driver33
09-14-2016, 09:38 AM
Guns Too in lenoir has a 1980 blued finish 10.5 inch barrel in 90%condition for 525 an a stainless with 5.5 inch barrel in 80-85%condition for 450

NC_JEFF
09-14-2016, 09:14 PM
Thanks Driver33

Driver33
09-14-2016, 10:06 PM
Anytime