PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Mold range report: 357 Marlin

45r
06-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Tried out some new boolits out of my new Mtn Mold and they are shooting pretty good already.They are 200 grain Plain Base for my 357 marlin and this load did well and there was no leading at all.These were heat treated.Air-cooled WW shot just as well with 13.5 grains H-110.Looks like you don't have to use gas-check boolits in 357 after all.This 1 1/4 inch 10 shot group at 55 yards is not too bad for a windy day.

Chuck 100 yd
06-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Good shootin and that looks like a fine bullet.

45r
06-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanx for the compliment,I was a little worried about this design because I went with a little shorter base band than the norm and 2 large grease grooves for more lube pressure to try and eliminate leading in a 357 plain base and it worked out.The shorter base band might be obturating better.I only need to run one hoppes wetted patch down the bore to clean after shooting because there isn't any leading.I've never used a plain base in 357 that is as good as this one in that regard.Lar's 2500 plus lube went on real easy with this boolit also.I won't be missing paying high prices for gas-checks anymore.After more experimenting with different powders and primers I wouldn't be surprised to see ragged hole groups and since they are long heavy boolits they should fly well at long range and have good penetration.

Cracker
06-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Looks likea good group for 50yrds I would be curious to see how it shoots out to 100yrds. I am shooting some 168gr Stonewall RNFPs that ar PB up to 1500fps and have not had any leading yet. I am waiting for RanchDog's 190RNFPgc tumble lube to come out here soon, hopefully. Can Mountain Mold do tumble lube? I an currently using a BTB 180RNFPgc for a hunting round