PDA

View Full Version : A day at the Range with the .73 Talleywhacker

omgb
09-12-2016, 12:32 AM
Well. I went out to the range with my H&R ultra slug gun to see if my handloads were in the ball park. As a base line I had a box of Holland and Holland Paradox loads. At $4.00 ea. they aren't cheap. They are very accurate though. At 50 yards I had three shots into one ragged hole. Next I tried some Win 1 oz hollow points. They shot lower than the H&H ammo but almost as good. I got several groups under 2 inches at 50 yards and could hit the deer sized gone at 100 all day long. Then came my Blackhorn 209 loads. First in some WWII surplus Win brass hulls. 90 grains of BH209, an over p[owder wad, a 3/4 inch fiber wad and my 900 grain custom slug sized 736. I used a large pistol primer and as a result, I had a hang fire every time. It was like shooting a poorly tuned flint lock and accuracy would have been better with buckshot. On to the RMC 3.5" cases/ Same powder charge. A 209 shot shell primer and a similar wad column except now it was two .75" tall wads. No ignition problems but groups ran 10 " at 50 yards. I have a new mold coming that duplicates the H&H bullet. And I'm moving on to Blue Dot. I'd love to get the same accuracy as I did with those H&H rounds. BTW, those Ultra Slug Guns can shoot!

R Talley

uncle dino
09-12-2016, 08:17 AM
Rjt do you happen to have a pic of those h and h rounds? Have you dissected one? Thanks d

omgb
09-12-2016, 12:48 PM
I took one apart. They are 2.5" in length with a roll crimp holding the bullet in place. The bullet is a Fosbury type hard lead slug with a .320 meplat and an OAL of .858". There are two driving bands each sized at .735 and about .125" in width. There is a deep groove in between them. It's about .25" wide and at its depth is .610. The hull is plastic and about 2/4" without the roll crimp. over the powder there is a .125" hard over-powder wad. Next is a waxed fiber was about .75" in length. The nose of the bullet stick out of the crimped hull about .25". When fired, there is some soot around the primer mark that is not present in other brands/loads. This and their high point of impact relative to other slugs seems to indicate a higher pressure and velocity. I'll see if I can get a photo.176456

uncle dino
09-13-2016, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the info.much like other accurate loads..stiff wad column...d