PDA

View Full Version : Got a new hunter on the right road today!

koger
09-11-2016, 09:05 PM
I have a co worker, who is not much of a hunter, or gun enthusiast, but his 10 year old daughter has been wanting to go deer hunting. I took them out shooting first with a .22 single shot, then a 10/22. She had shot a pellet rifle a lot, and her first 5 shot group at 25yds off sandbags, scoped 10/22 went in the bull's-eye, about a nickel size group. I then had her shooting a AR 15 .300blk, at 25, in a bag chair off cross sticks, how we will be hunting, from a pop up blind. When she felt comfortable with her shooting and operating the weapon, we put up a cardboard deer target, and she shot 5 shots, into a snuff can size group at 50yds, tucked into the back edge of the shoulder, lung shots. She was ecstatic, kept the targets and we go hunting in 4 weeks, early 2 day youth season, either sex here in KY! Plan on shooting 2-3 times between now and then, always great to get a new kid started. The kids is a natural shot, pays attention, and listens! Just thought would share!

Big Boomer
09-11-2016, 09:23 PM
Good on you for encouraging her! We need all the new recruits we can get. I have a son and daughter-in-law, a brother, a niece and great-nieces and nephews that have taken to shooting like a duck to water. Big Boomer

Les Staley
09-12-2016, 12:09 AM
I had a fellow at our local congregation, (one of our younger elders) take me aside and ask if I would take him shooting. He was expecting a visit from another couple back east that enjoyed shooting and wanted to know a little about shooting when they got here. I took him up to a property that I own with a large rock pit, and made a gift of a 22 semi auto carbine to him. He was overjoyed. A couple weeks later the four of them and myself spent the afternoon up there, shooting the 22, a shotgun and an AR15. I supplied the guns, the ammo and ear protection for everybody. I think I've made a couple of new "converts".

Blackwater
09-12-2016, 11:17 AM
Great goin', Koger! It's funny how the girls seem to be showing as much interest and sometimes more than the young boys today! I don't understand it, but it's awfully good to see their interest being piqued, and especially when they have someone like you to help them learn how to do it. It's the learning how part that they need to get down, and that's awfully hard to do without someone to take them under their wing.

robg
09-12-2016, 01:26 PM
Well done more keen shooters are what's needed everywhere.

dverna
09-12-2016, 01:27 PM
Good job koger.

lightman
09-12-2016, 02:41 PM
Good on You! That little gal will remember that, and you, forever.

koger
09-12-2016, 09:37 PM
I have been helping coach 4H shooting sports for years, this year we had 41 kids in Archery, which includes genesis compounds, hunter compounds, and traditiona longbows and recurves. I have more girls than boys, and shooter for shooter, the girls will beat the boys every time, because they are detail oriented and listen. First year to make it to the state championship, we came in second overall!
My wife is a local legend here as women who hunt goes. She drives a school bus and teaches, lots of girls constantly asking her about hunting, and want to see her hunting pic book she carries in her tote. She has taken 33 deer, with bow, Muzzle loader and .243 rifle. First year I put her in for the elk lottery, she drew a bull tag. I built her a .270 with a muzzle brake, and I called a young 4x4 out just at dark, first day. She broke his neck at 150yds, dropped him like a sack of potatoes. Two years ago she had not seen a buck all bow, Ml or rifle season, last day of season she went and hunted a place we had never hunted, no buck on trail cams, and at noon a 5 pt piebald mostly white walked out. She whistled and stopped him at 250yds, dropped him in his tracks with a .243. I love to get kids into hunting, have also took a couple of handicapped kids, they are so appreciative of anyone who takes an intereste in them.