PDA

View Full Version : swaging 20 cal to 19 cal

27judge
09-11-2016, 06:40 PM
I have a 19 calhoon ( based on a 22 hornet case} can I swage 20 to 19 what do I need to do it and from who ? many tks for your time ken

uncle dino
09-11-2016, 07:14 PM
You swage up, and draw down. Any of the swage die makers can make you a simple draw die to reduce the size of your bullet. I'm not so sure how good your results will be drawing down a whole caliber in that size of a bullet. That would be a question to ask the die maker. The problem with reducing size in a swage die is the bullet won't go into die, and must be forced in. Risk of punch strike, and bullet entering die crooked. Corbin's rce, BT sniper, I'm sure any of these can help you out. D

reed1911
09-12-2016, 08:05 AM
I would give Titan Reloading a shot first, have them order a Lee bullet size die in .19 cal if they can (you specify the size). They are a few dollars cheaper than direct order from Lee but I don't know if they make them that small or not. If not the next least expensive will be CH4D and they will make it for sure. You cannot use a swage die to draw down a bullet, you can only use them to swage up, that is to say you have to have a bullet or core in a jacket smaller than the final size that will drop into the die. When you call any of them refer to it as a bullet sizing die and they will understand what you need.

BT Sniper
09-12-2016, 10:37 AM
19cal = .198 in diameter. So close to the already available .204 diameter. This is one you could probably get away with simply reducing the bullet diameter and getting ......... maybe acceptable accuracy???? But if you reduced it down to say .196 then all you would need is a .198 point form die to bump them back up to make a perfect bullet capable of much better accuracy then one that was simply drawn down. Draw die will not cost you much, point form die will cost a little bit but both tasks would be very easy to accomplish on any decent reloading press.

BT

runfiverun
09-12-2016, 01:15 PM
I'd talk to him^^^^^

a draw down die to 196 or thereabouts.
them a point form swage back up to the correct dimensions [.198] would give the best results.

27judge
09-12-2016, 06:31 PM
many tks for the input this gives me a lot to go on , I will make some calls ken