PDA

View Full Version : Mosin 91/30 (build other versions)

mrrch
09-10-2016, 03:37 PM
Maybe a silly question. Can any other models of Mosin be built from a 91/30 with proper parts?
Would be nice to get a Finnish model but either be very expensive or impossible to find in Canada.
Wish I could order an M39 from Classic Firearms.
Wondering if it's possible to build some sort of Finnish replica.
My dad served in the Finnish army in the 50's so it would be cool to have a Finnish rifle for him.

lefty o
09-10-2016, 03:45 PM
they can all be built from it as all mosins share the same receiver. honestly though, if you want a finn model, probably cheaper just to buy a finn mosin.

junkbug
09-10-2016, 09:49 PM
Look for a Finnish M91 long rifle. They are the least expensive Finnish rifles, and most common. Records show they were used very extensively from 1939 thru 1945.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-10-2016, 10:48 PM
you could try this http://www.smith-sights.com/accurizing-the-mosin-nagant-a-year-later.php

leebuilder
09-11-2016, 05:28 AM
You may be able to find a m91 Finn. Still a few around, canadain tire sold them years ago. I have two, passed up many more.
Be well

junkbug
09-11-2016, 01:59 PM
The Finns also refurbished, but did not drastically alter, the M91/30 itself. These are often available for reasonable prices.

fgd135
09-11-2016, 02:10 PM
Just buy yourself one of those steel "SA in rectangle" stamps being sold from time to time on flea bay, and any MN you own could be Finnish!
Just kidding, of course.
I can't tell you of the number of times over the years I've seen desirable Mosins, etc., advertised on Canadian firearms dealer sites, and have been told by them that they wouldn't sell to US customers! I'd keep looking, if I were you.

Remiel
09-12-2016, 01:35 AM
i wish we had the svt40's that canada has

mrrch
09-12-2016, 01:17 PM
Yes, we have plenty of those up here.
Mine is one of my favorite milsurps.

Hardcast416taylor
09-12-2016, 01:44 PM
Using the 91/30 basic mil surp rifles several of my friends and I designed and made up a sporter in a wildcat chambering it is called `.416 Russian Express`. It has been called different things by different builders, but we named this one! Original case used and the mouth opened up to .416". A barrel from ER Shaw then chambered. A scope mount utilised the front reviever ring for tapping and a cantilever type mount for a scope. A turned down bolt handle and a timney trigger w/safety in a Boyd`s stock finished this sported. It throws an Accurate molds 350 gr. boolet both fast and accurately out to a decent range beyond 100 yds. with only minor drop at 150 yds from a zero at 100.Robert

Tackleberry41
09-14-2016, 02:18 PM
The big difference in the Finn rifles seems to be the trigger, and a more consistent bore size. I looked, buying a finn trigger is near impossible, your really better off just spending the bucks to get a timney. Its still much better than a finn style.

And I have no idea where you would get a finn barrel for a mosin. Your pretty much stuck buying a blank and having it lathed to fit, then chambered. Mosins are really only economical if you have the time and equipment. If your paying for a barrel and the work to put it in, you can probably buy a decent hunting rifle.

And even Finn rifles can be variable, place I visit here or there, had a mosin in the rack, no idea it was a finn rifle. But the bore was junk. I have a finn mosin right now that I paid $50 for, the chamber is bulged so needs a barrel. But I have a lathe so not an expensive thing to do.

tomme boy
09-15-2016, 07:45 PM
Why don't you find a SA stamped SVT? Seen a bunch of them here years ago

LIMPINGJ
09-16-2016, 10:34 AM
Hardcast416taylor, how much work on the magazine did you have to on your conversation?