PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 310 tool resource thread

wonderwolf
09-10-2016, 01:41 PM
I for one have been flumuxed and confused when it came to understanding 310 tong tools and what could be used with the handles and what certain operations certain dies performed.

My education on these die sets for the last 2 years has led me to better understand what to look for when putting together the tools I needed to continue to load ammo during my time in a very small apartment. But I'm still looking for information and knowledge even though I'm back in a normal sized living space I wish to add to my die sets for those calibers I rely on the most. I'm establishing a resource page here for others to reference when they run into the common issues I feel we've all encountered at one time or another. I would also like to add that you shouldn't need to pay to get a reference chart, I've noticed ebay sellers wanting to sell you a chart that is commonly found on the internet on several sites.

Please post helpful pictures, links or tidbits concerning the history, development and use of the 310 tong tools and please give credit where credit is due. I know there are a few websites dedicated to the Lyman 310 tong tools but I am finding a lot of them are no longer working or bad links. Some might be the work of other castboolit members and I hope I don't step on any toes linking their websites on this thread. Lastly I've also started work on a practical series on the 310 tool as I understand it. It will never be complete however any inaccuracies I would like to be made aware of.

310 tables and charts (http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Lyman310/default.html) - castpics link

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/310/Lyman_310_Tool_Use.html One of the better resources out there

Below are my contributions to the database, trying to be a little more in depth on some items that I think are not touched on and add to the fog of understanding these fantastic tools.

Wonderwolf's introduction to Lyman 310 tong tool: Part 1 (http://wonderwolfs.blogspot.com/2016/09/introduction-to-lyman-310-tong-tool.html)

Wonderwolf's introduction to Lyman 310 tong tool: Part 2 (http://wonderwolfs.blogspot.com/2016/09/introduction-to-lyman-310-tong-tool_10.html)

Wonderwolf's introduction to Lyman 310 tong tool: Part 3 (http://wonderwolfs.blogspot.com/2016/09/introduction-to-310-tong-tool-part-3.html)

Wonderwolf's introduction to the Lyman 310 tong tool : Part 4 (working on this, waiting until I can make some parts for a die for this installment)

dlbarr
09-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Thanks for this Wonderwolf.

I have, but don't use much, the 310 tool and was just thinking I should get that out and do some 45-70 "plinker" loads.

dsh1106
09-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Here's a useful page

http://www.endtimesreport.com/Lyman_310_Tong_Tools.html

dlbarr
09-10-2016, 08:39 PM
Boy, do I feel stupid. Look what I did....

I was sizing brass, this one got stuck and I could NOT open those tongs for anything. So I put the one side of the tongs in leather jaws on my vise and a long pipe on the other side. It cracked right across the threads. Unfortunately I still can't get the brass out. So now I'm out a set of handles AND one die from the set. Don't tell me I'm the only one that's done this....? Can't figure why that brass got stuck in the first place...

jrmartin1964
09-10-2016, 09:12 PM
Boy, do I feel stupid. Look what I did....

:holysheep

wonderwolf
09-10-2016, 09:13 PM
I'm thinking the brass got stuck because you were using dies intended for the press and not the tong tools, my guess is that particular die might have a expander button that is far up the stem near where the neck sizing happens and its in there pretty tight now. A good machinist may be able to get it out. Its a pain but it is salvageable. The handles not so much, just strip the usable parts off of it to keep for spares.

See part 2 of my series that kind of explains what the issue was you ran into.

wonderwolf
09-11-2016, 10:40 PM
Please post pictures of disassembled die sets that work with the 310 handles, I'm working on a couple of sets right now but I have not used the rifle sets much as I'm missing dies still for some. My experience mostly lies with the 4 and 5 die sets of pistol. Would greatly appreciate input from guys who are familiar with the rifle tong tool sets.

Green Frog
09-13-2016, 09:14 AM
I don't have stuff out to do a photo essay, but I'll try to get to it. Meanwhile, if it is a 310 die set you can count on either having NO expander (for jacketed rifle bullets) or a separate expander die (only) for cast bullets mainly. Decapping is frequently done with a separate, dedicated die, the forerunner of current "universal" decapping dies. A 310 set will either have a combination decapper and neck sizer (usually labeled "CMR") or a muzzle resizer ("MR") to go with the separate decapper. For all intents and purposes, seating dies for 310 and TL Jr sets are the same. Is that all as clear as mud?

Froggie

enfield
09-13-2016, 09:04 PM
long pipe + aluminum handle, what could go wrong.

dsh1106
09-14-2016, 01:47 PM
Please post pictures of disassembled die sets that work with the 310 handles, I'm working on a couple of sets right now but I have not used the rifle sets much as I'm missing dies still for some. My experience mostly lies with the 4 and 5 die sets of pistol. Would greatly appreciate input from guys who are familiar with the rifle tong tool sets.

WW

Here's a couple of pics on the rifle dies for the 310 Tong Tool

Original 310 set
Steel Handle
Universal Decapping Chamber
Muzzle Resizer
Priming Chamber
Shell Expansion Chamber - Expansion Plug
Bullet Seating - Double Adjustable Chamber

Here's the decapping sequence

dsh1106
09-14-2016, 01:53 PM
Here's the muzzle resizing sequence

dsh1106
09-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Here's the:
priming chamber die
shell expansion chamber - expansion plug die
bullet seating - double adjustable chamber die

dsh1106
09-14-2016, 02:03 PM
I'll try to get either my EZY-Loader or the TL Jr setup with the 310 tools and post some pics of those.

Hope this info was helpful.

dsh1106
09-14-2016, 06:44 PM
Here is the Neck Sizing -Decapping Die, or CMR Die. This one is setup with the expansion "ball" to size the case for the bullet.

This die should only be used in a bench mounted "Press", using this style die with the TONG tool isn't advisable.

Here are the pics, the last one is of the die loaded in my EZY-Loader Press.

wonderwolf
09-14-2016, 08:06 PM
My confusion when I first got into 310 dies and tools came from not realizing it didn't matter what variation of the expander/decap die I had it will not work with the 310 tong tool. The fact there was a type with a expander that was threaded and could be adjusted as well as a type that was fixed really messed with me for awhile.

Thank you for posting those pictures!

dlbarr
09-15-2016, 08:34 PM
long pipe + aluminum handle, what could go wrong.

And that, of course, is why I feel stupid. Rightly so.

Now that it's behind me, I'd like to know what caused that case to be stuck in the first place. I was sizing cases right along, no problem. Inspection of the cases beforehand showed no abnormalities.

wonderwolf
09-15-2016, 11:29 PM
And that, of course, is why I feel stupid. Rightly so.

Now that it's behind me, I'd like to know what caused that case to be stuck in the first place. I was sizing cases right along, no problem. Inspection of the cases beforehand showed no abnormalities.

Lack of lube? I'm guessing by the fact you had done several other cases that you were using a decap/sizer die then and not a sizer die that had the expander button in it as well?

dlbarr
09-16-2016, 12:13 AM
Lack of lube? I'm guessing by the fact you had done several other cases that you were using a decap/sizer die then and not a sizer die that had the expander button in it as well?

Same die for all of them. No change.

wonderwolf
11-13-2016, 01:11 AM
Got a .308 Win set cheap and looking them over the expander die body is marked "Lyman KF-20" it has the correct expander size plug ".308" but I'm wondering what the "KF-20" stands for exactly? die body stock #? this set is a newer 4 die set with the caliber stamped on the seater and sizer die.

Pavogrande
11-13-2016, 03:39 AM
Regarding charts -- there is one - certainly not complete - in the stoegers 1956 lyman section -

Green Frog
11-13-2016, 10:12 PM
A few points here;
1) The most complete listing of the code numbers for dies currently out there is the one I assembled about 10-15 years ago and sent to the forum. It was copied and posted (without attribution, I might add) here ~ http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/the-library/the-lyman-310-tool/89-lyman-ideal-310-die-code-chart
2) The expander die for a 310 Tool should always be separate... it will be one of three lengths, depending on cartridge/case length and these are the KR numbers you see. The important thing is that it have the right length to reach the case mouth and the right diameter. BTW, the special M-type (full sized) Lyman dies are just grown up versions of these dies.
3) NO full length (FL) sizing dies should EVER be used with a tong tool... you are inviting at the least ridiculously hard work and at the worst broken handles. A touch of Imperial™ or other sizing die lube is always a good idea.
4) You should be able to save the die with that stuck case (if the die isn't already scored) by taking the stem out from the top of the die and using a properly fitting punch and hammer to drive the stuck case out. Alternatively, you might be able to drill the primer hole out to accept an Easy Out™ broken screw remover, but that will probably end up allowing the case to score the die if it isn't already.

Yep, I guess you can say I've "been there, done that" and have certainly experienced all of the problems mentioned and more, and have both survived and thrived in reloading!

Regards,
Froggie

woody1
11-14-2016, 04:20 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?27630-DIY-Stuck-Case-Remover