PDA

View Full Version : Ruger No.1 Bore Constriction At Sling Band

Good Cheer
09-10-2016, 11:20 AM
Looks like there's a little bit of a bore constriction where the sling attachment band is placed.
Any yall come up with that?
Have you noticed any effects on cast accuracy?

Char-Gar
09-10-2016, 11:26 AM
I have encountered heat scale on Ruger revolvers where the front sight ramp and/or ejector rod lug were soldered on. The only fix for this was a new barrel, which Ruger installed on the warrantee.

The sling band on the Ruger 1 is also soldered on. This may be your problem. There should no constriction there caused by a broach cutting a dovetail or some such other cause.

Good Cheer
09-10-2016, 11:40 AM
I have no doubt that's the source.

Ballistics in Scotland
09-10-2016, 11:44 AM
It is a serious fault, muchl worse than a slight ring bulge similarly located. It might not be as noticeable with cast as with high velocity jacketed rounds. But it can hardly be harmless.

It is Ruger's business if a warranty is still in force, and they might be prepared to take responsibility forever. I hear good things of their after-sales service sometimes. If you find this in a rifle the manufacturer won't deal with, though, lead lapping with abrasive paste, starting out not too fine, may do the trick. It takes very little to be strongly detectable as you push a bore slug through.

Did we hear somewhere recently that slugging the bore is useless? It isn't in this case.

canuck4570
09-11-2016, 06:55 PM
I have a no 1 in 4570 with this…. there is a set screw on the barrel band
this must cause the restriction I presume

accuracy is perfect with mine all day 2 inches at 200 yards

Nrut
09-15-2016, 04:13 PM
I have a no 1 in 4570 with this…. there is a set screw on the barrel band
this must cause the restriction I presume

accuracy is perfect with mine all day 2 inches at 200 yards
With jacketed or cast?
If cast what is the particulars of your load to include alloy and alloy treatment (ie. AC or WD) etc.

canuck4570
09-15-2016, 04:18 PM
cast

saeco 500 gr. round ( original for trap door )

the load is 4759 can't remember how much but the chromo was 1420 on average

this rifle is accurate also whit all the bullet that I tried up to 550 gr. from mountain mold

Nrut
09-15-2016, 04:56 PM
Thanks canuck4570

EDG
09-25-2016, 01:03 PM
I have a #1 in 45-70 that would not shoot 5 rounds into a 24" X 24" target at 100 yards about 25 years ago. It was a near new rifle that I bought used.
I could see nothing wrong. I finally pushed lead bullets through the bore from each direction and found a constriction at both the band (.001) and the front sight band at the muzzle (.0015).
I sent the rifle back to Ruger and they put a new barrel on it at no charge. The new barrel shoots fine.

Those companies should always be happy to fix such a problem. I was at least the second owner so 2 guys had a bad episode because of that rifle. Just think what it does to a company to have one with a bad barrel floating from owner to owner for 100 years.