PDA

View Full Version : Preparing the Soil

WRideout
09-10-2016, 07:52 AM
Preparing The Soil

Matthew 13: 1-9

It has been said, by a famous person whose name I do not know, that “it gives me pause to consider that life as we know it depends on six inches of topsoil, and the presence of earthworms.” As a professional environmental scientist for over twenty years, I learned a bit about soil. We are talking about soil here; dirt is what you wash off your clothes. Good garden soil has desirable properties. If you squeeze a handful, it stays in a ball that is slightly crumbly. It has a pungent aroma that is not at all unpleasant. It holds just enough water, and is filled with nutrients that feed plants. Soil is the magical stuff that supports life.

Soil is a living thing; it originates in bare rock, and is transformed as it breaks into smaller and smaller chunks that wash down hill. It starts out as one type of soil, and then changes as it moves on its steady migration, depending on where it lies, and what is growing in it. Bacteria live in the soil, and help it to become fertile. Small animals turn and mix the soil, making it easier for plants to take root. A shovel full of good topsoil is a minor miracle.

In my life, I have been reluctant to let God garden with me. I was the bare rock being weathered by pounding rain, and freezing cold. I resisted being broken by God’s plow, because I loved the tangled mass of sinful weeds that grew in my soul. Proud of my abilities and disdainful of help from any source, I finally became a flat, gravelly desert, overgrown with thorns and weeds. It was not until I asked God to prepare me in the way that he would, that my life began to change for the better. This process was not easy or simple; it was sometimes painful. But I would do it again, for it has made me a different person.

Jesus tells us that when the seed of the word is planted in a Christian, it leads to bountiful harvest. In Jesus’ time, there were twelve Christians. By some estimates there are now more than 2.1 billion, and there is no end in sight to the spread of Christianity throughout the world. One of the most beautiful sights in nature is a ripe field of grain; heads heavy on their stalks, ready to be harvested. Sometimes I like to think of all who have known Christ in the same way. A field of believers, a great cloud of witnesses; gathered together to worship, commune and pray to the Holy God of Israel, the maker and creator of all things. I pray that some of them may be there because my soil was fertile.

Wayne

Boaz
09-10-2016, 08:43 AM
Thank you Wayne . A good lesson and true .

Pine Baron
09-10-2016, 09:44 AM
Thanks Wayne, if I might add:
Matthew 13: 24-30
24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:
25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.
26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.
27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?
29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.
30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

castalott
09-10-2016, 09:51 AM
Wow Wayne...I liked your Post... You are a good Wordsmith.... Dale

Blackwater
09-10-2016, 10:05 AM
Great post, WR. Thanks. There are many parallels in life that we can learn from if we simply will. Yours is especially poignant. Great way to start a day.

Preacher Jim
09-10-2016, 10:52 AM
Wayne that is the best one i have read
Great lesson.

WRideout
09-10-2016, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys. Peace of Christ be with you.

Wayne