PDA

View Full Version : Lee Cast Bullet Sizing Dies What should they offer

VintageRifle
06-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Looking at Lee Precision's catalog, I have found it amazing that they do not offer sizing dies for the .303 British in .316 or larger, and 8x56R is .331 or .332 as standard sizing dies. I know the bullets are suppose to cast at .314 and .329, but mine drop at about .003 over the stated size.

Since Lee suggests that sizing cast bullets actually causes accuracy loss, I would think they would offer a sizing die a bit larger than the as cast size of the bullets that drop from their molds.

In addition, from reading the multitude of articles on the internet and in various books, most military surplus rifles run on the large size as far as groove depth. .315-.316 for the .303 British and Mosin Nagants, and .330 and up on Steyr M95 8x56R.

I also know that lee does make a bit more money on custom sized sizing dies, but I do believe they would be doing a service to offer larger size sizing dies as a standard service.

What sizes do you think Lee should offer as standard?

JeffinNZ
06-02-2008, 06:02 AM
They are pretty good at staying up to speed with what is in vogue. Suggest it to them. Their custom service is cheap to boot also.

montana_charlie
06-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Since Lee suggests that sizing cast bullets actually causes accuracy loss, I would think they would offer a sizing die a bit larger than the as cast size of the bullets that drop from their molds.
I don't use Lee sizers, but I have trouble getting my brain around that statement.

With the Lee tool, you lube the bullet (I guess) to prevent sticking, and you run it through the die. Then some will lube again.

Since there is no opportunity to lube the bullet while it is in the die, changing the bullet's diameter is the Lee tool's only function.

If you want to shoot as-cast bullets, why not just lube 'em and shoot 'em?
Why would you want a sizing die that (not only) cannot lube a bullet...but also cannot size it?

CM

jonk
06-02-2008, 02:30 PM
I don't use Lee sizers, but I have trouble getting my brain around that statement.

With the Lee tool, you lube the bullet (I guess) to prevent sticking, and you run it through the die. Then some will lube again.

Since there is no opportunity to lube the bullet while it is in the die, changing the bullet's diameter is the Lee tool's only function.

If you want to shoot as-cast bullets, why not just lube 'em and shoot 'em?
Why would you want a sizing die that (not only) cannot lube a bullet...but also cannot size it?

CM

To crimp the check on and wipe off excess pan lube of course....

nicholst55
06-02-2008, 07:08 PM
I'd sure like to see dies in .458", .459" and .460", myself. A couple of 'fat thirty' dies would be nice too, since I'm cursed with a .316" Mosin and Lee Enfield.

Junior1942
06-02-2008, 07:30 PM
I'd sure like to see dies in .458", .459" and .460", myself. A couple of 'fat thirty' dies would be nice too, since I'm cursed with a .316" Mosin and Lee Enfield.Ream a Lee .314" die to .316". It's easy. I shoot .3155" jacketed bullets in my M-N 38. They started as .323" 8x57 bullets. I swage them down in 2 stages: (1) a .319" die Lee made me for $25; and (2) a .3155" die I reamed from a .314" die.