PDA

View Full Version : 1911 barrel

fatelk
09-09-2016, 08:57 PM
I'm thinking about finally replacing the barrel in my old Ballestor Molina. It takes Colt barrels and magazines, and that's about it.

The original barrel was completely worn out. You could see a ghost of the rifling, but not enough to spin the bullets; they just tumbled as they left the barrel. I replaced it with a Colt series 70 barrel that's been on it for the last couple decades now. It shoots fine but slugs at .453" and I'm just getting tired of sizing oversize bullets for this gun only. I've gone to powder-coat bullets now and will be getting some different sizers, thought maybe it was time to try a new barrel on the old war horse.

I did a quick search and found lots of cheap .45 barrels by 4M, but it looks like they don't get the best reviews. I don't want to spend a lot. I'd like something reasonably accurate but this isn't a target grade pistol so I can't pay for a Bar-Sto. I'd be ok with a good used one.

Anyone have any suggestions?

DougGuy
09-09-2016, 09:03 PM
Ebay for a used or NOS HS barrel?

Fusion gun works sells barrels just under the $200 price mark they look good but I haven't tried one.

There was one seller who had a surplus of Israeli made 5" 1911 barrels that for the money are *very* good. I cut one down and used it in a Commander.

Here is a nice old HS barrel used,, this guy is a very reputable seller also. Something like this would work for you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Standard-1911-Barrel-45-WWII-Army-Original-Blue-Remington-Rand-Ithaca-US-S-/381758590078?hash=item58e295cc7e:g:yaIAAOSwFV9Xy18 W

Silver Jack Hammer
09-09-2016, 09:07 PM
I love my carbon steel Series 70's Colt's with carbon steel barrels. I hate acknowledging the stainless steel barrel in my newly manufactured Colt's 5" 1911 shoots a little tighter groups, and after a day of digesting my junk wonder alloy cast boolits (I wonder where this lead came from) the stainless cleans up quicker and easier.

Silverboolit
09-10-2016, 01:13 AM
I have a Storm Lake Machine in mine and I like it.

Mk42gunner
09-10-2016, 01:48 AM
For an inexpensive 1911 barrel, I would go to the next big gun show and look at what the parts sellers have. Bone up on prices beforehand, sometimes things are cheap, sometimes not.

Robert

fatelk
09-10-2016, 06:44 PM
I went to a gun show this morning, but it was small and no one had parts. There's a bigger one coming up that I'll try to get to. I guess I'm not in a hurry.

What do you all think of this: http://m.ebay.com/itm/Match-Grade-1911-Government-Barrel-5-/272280126707?nav=SEARCH
Is it a pig in a poke, not knowing the brand?

DougGuy
09-10-2016, 09:57 PM
That looks like it would work great however, "match grade" USUALLY means chamber and throat dimensions so tight that no cast boolit handloads will plunk unless and until the barrel gets properly throated to handle .452" cast boolits. If that's all it needs? Heck yeah go for it, throating is cheap and even if you get a hi dolla barrel, it will likely need it too. Send me a PM when you get one in house if it won't plunk for you I will fix it right up.

tenx
09-11-2016, 01:58 AM
bar-sto is expensive but they are good, i like kart myself, just as accurate as bar-sto and as good as most other barrels but cheaper than bar-sto. i have several of both and both are good. with that said my most accurate bulls eye gun has a clark barrel. probably the greatest effect on accuracy has to do with the fitting of the barrel. i've seen a lot of old military pistols with welded up colt factory barrels that shot really well. if you want accuracy look at what the bulls eye shooters use, generally it's kart or bar-sto.