PDA

View Full Version : Magnum Research Lone Eagle - Educate me please?

Fergie
09-08-2016, 07:11 PM
Hello all,

I stopped by an LGS today and saw a few pistol I've never seen.

They were all Magnum Research International Lone Eagles; they were chambered in .22-250, .223 Rem, .308 and .30-06!

I was intrigued and though about buying one on the spot, but want to read up on them first. I can't find too much info on them and was hoping some of you folks here to give me the low-down on them.

Are they decent as far as accuracy is concerned? Good for hunting in the right caliber, obviously. It looks like a fun pistol to throw a scope on and take to the range.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Pipefitter
09-08-2016, 07:28 PM
I had one in 308 for a while, iron sights, 10" barrel. I only shot starting loads of 110gn jacketed bullets in it, and never more than 10 rounds in any trip to the range. Muzzle blast was impressive to say the least and recoil was more a solid push back instead of muzzle flip.

I did get some 2" groups at 50 yards with the iron sights, but did not hunt with it (state law around here says straight walled cases only in handguns for deer). Traded in in at the LGS for a Ruger Old Army stainless 25th anniversary edition(brand new) and this was one gun I dont regret trading off.

Fergie
09-08-2016, 11:16 PM
The LGS is going out of business and didn't know he had these in inventory. They are marked at $300 a piece, bare bones, and I was thinking of grabbing the .44 Mag just to have, but can't see myself doing silhouette or hunting with it, but who knows.

The price is good...hard to pass up.

shoot-n-lead
09-09-2016, 12:33 AM
The LGS is going out of business and didn't know he had these in inventory. They are marked at $300 a piece, bare bones, and I was thinking of grabbing the .44 Mag just to have, but can't see myself doing silhouette or hunting with it, but who knows.

IF you don't want the .44mag...pm me the contact info for the shop and I will take it.

Thanks

mcdaniel.mac
09-09-2016, 07:37 AM

At that price I'd buy one in any caliber

Fergie
09-09-2016, 08:41 AM
IF you don't want the .44mag...pm me the contact info for the shop and I will take it.

Thanks

Just sent you the shop's info.

Have a good one.

Earlwb
09-09-2016, 09:50 AM
Those were popular during the short lived pistol silhouette shooting competitions that happened back in the 1970s and 1980's. After interest in the events dropped off they quit making the pistols. Some of them were amazingly loud and the muzzle blast was quite spectacular too. Thompson Center still makes guns like these but the TC guns are a lot more versatile though. They would be pretty neat to own if the price is right. But I have enough guns of my own for now, so I would pass.

lefty o
09-09-2016, 10:00 AM
have had one for many years in 7mm-08. about the worst trigger ever on a pistol, however once you get used to it it will shoot very well. 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100yds. it will throw some serious fireballs depending on the powder used. also as told to me by a buddy who back then was a gunsmith for MRI, dont dry fire them with the breech closed. you can can with it open though.

44man
09-09-2016, 11:11 AM
I had the 7-08 and it was deadly accurate. Trigger system is horrible but I managed to get it good.
One problem was ejection if loaded hot, brass stuck. I found nickle plated worked. Strongest gun ever. They tested until brass was soldered in without a blowup. I made a larger extractor for mine too. It is complicated to take apart but the MR is easier then the original.
They are fantastic and $300 is a steal.

cainttype
09-10-2016, 06:20 PM
Started as Ordnance Technology's SSP-86 (1986), replaced by modified SSP-91, eventually bought out and marketed as IMI's Lone Eagle.
SUPER STRONG rotating cannon-type breech, capable of handling anything you're brave enough to chamber... probably.
Very accurate, more than enough for any hunting or silhouette-type pursuits.

Stock isn't pretty, but is tough and weather proof.
Exceptionally compact in appearance because of the center-postion grip and super-compact breech. 14" models are easily mistaken for 10"-12" barrels.
Very light and balanced compared to anything similar.

$300 is a bargain if you have any interest in a single shot handgun capable of handling high intensity (30-06, 7MM Mag...no problem) that doesn't need wheels to drag along into the field, even if you pick something as sedate as the 44 Mag. :)

44man
09-11-2016, 08:31 AM
I shot a lot of deer with mine, used the 139 Hornady but lost one once. There was lung tissue on tree branches and little blood on the ground, Tracked miles until blood stopped. So many tracks in the trail I could not track one. I checked the sides of the trail after blood stopped, never found her.
A friend wanted the gun before I could figure the bullets.
Another reason I don't like the saying "deer are easy to kill, just poke a hole." Then 3 deer with healed in pieces of arrows 6" long with broad heads, healed in the chests, shot in gun season long after archery season. I don't think they are easy.
The Lone Eagle is a great gun but like any, work with it. Mine shot like a laser but my bullet was wrong.
I would love mine back.

TRX
09-15-2016, 08:28 AM
A friend has one in .22LR. Another friend has one in .458 Winchester Magnum. I've shot both of them. The .458 is definitely a brute, but it's only a few steps up from a .454 Casull revolver; the grip shape makes it easy to control the recoil.

Bob had the barrel drilled for a muzzle brake. The smith put in what he called "rocket ports", which had wasp-waisted holes. I don't know if they were any more effective than straight holes, but they'd blow my hat off when I pulled the trigger.