PDA

View Full Version : 310 Seating Dies

dsh1106
09-08-2016, 03:24 PM
Hi All

I have a question on the 310 Seating Dies, are all these dies double adjustable (DA)?

I have seating dies that have the caliber stamped on them including the DA nomenclature, and others are just stamped with Lyman's chamber # (123 = 30-06).

Thanks
Scott

Bent Ramrod
09-08-2016, 10:03 PM
They might not necessarily say "DA" but the 310 seating dies are double adjustable.

Given a reasonably close nose profile on the seating screw, various bullet designs can be seated to various depths in the case, as the operator determines.

The "single adjustable" die is often seen on the Ideal No. 3 and No. 10 tong tools. It was a screw in seating chamber, without a seating stem, allowing one standard boolit to be seated to varying depths. (These tools could, of course be ordered with "double adjustable" chambers, if the customer wished.) The "nonadjustable" die most often seen is the cast-in seating chamber on the No. 4 and No. 6 tools with the moulds on the ends. These seated the standard boolit to the standard depth found in factory ammunition.

dsh1106
09-09-2016, 10:55 AM
Awesome

Thanks for the info BR.

I like these old tools, and enjoy using them, but there are lots of variations. I didn't think there were any difference, just wanted to confirm.

Thanks
Scott

Bent Ramrod
09-09-2016, 11:26 AM
It may be that once the emphasis was put on the Tru-Line Jr. application for the small dies, Lyman wanted something to distinguish the sets. "CMR" for Combination Muzzle Resizer, was stamped on the first die; maybe a sense of symmetry prompted the (largely unnecessary) "DA" on the last one.

You can also check the ARTCA Site for info on this stuff.