PDA

View Full Version : Getting close

Thumbcocker
09-07-2016, 08:47 PM

The goal was to get a 9mm load that would shoot well with the 9mm cylinder of my convertible Blackhawk. 9mm brass is free at the range and less lead is used. This Blackhawk has a Super hammer added. I also put on a Bowen sight and a Belt Mountain pin for the cool factor. Load is Lee 125 rnfp over 3.2 of red dot (thank you Runfive). Cylinder was expertly honed to .3585 by DougGuy. Assuming buying all lead primers and powder at more or less going prices I am at about 6.5 cents per shot. Target was shot from a Weaver stance at 25 yards. I pulled two out a bit. Will try this load in the few semi-autos that live at the Thumbcocker compound.

odfairfaxsub
09-08-2016, 11:18 AM
My bhp shoots about that good or a touch better. Found unique runs great but red dot was working too but I had to push mine harder w red dot to get it to shoot good. That's at 13 yards though lol. That's a good 25 yard group

9.3X62AL
09-08-2016, 05:04 PM
Any 9mm that shot that well at 25 yards "Would do to ride the river with", as our late friend Felix on this site liked to say. The 9mm's absence from Camp Perry is no accident, though a few examples in that caliber have shot unexpectedly well for me. The 38 Special and 45 ACP were and are superb service calibers that also offer fine accuracy in service-grade platforms. Those chamberings have spoiled us rotten. The 9mm is an adequate service caliber that often falls short in the accuracy department in service-grade platforms. JMHO after close to 40 years with all 3 calibers carried in harm's way and elsewhere.