PDA

View Full Version : Compare Winchester M1895 & M1886

Naphtali
06-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Questions pertain to Miroku manufactured M1895 and M1886 lever action rifles.

1. What are wildcat or proprietary cartridges for which the M1895 can be safely chambered/adapted that are larger bore than the .405 WCF?

2. Is trigger finger pinch less likely when rapidly operating the M1895 than with M1886? I refer to the way the M1895's trigger pivots away from trigger finger on down stroke whiles M1886's trigger remains stationary in lower tang.

3. Compare crispness and smoothness of trigger pulls.

4. Is either mechanism significantly easier to disassemble than the other?

06-01-2008, 08:16 PM
First, I don't own any of the new re-release versions of either action type. I own and shoot several of the originals in different calibers.

The 405 Win is a hefty cartridge and well suited to the 95 action. While I'm sure the modern steels are better than the old, a full house load in a 405 is plenty so not sure why the desire to go bigger?? The same would hold true with the 86 in 45-70. Some may wish to do so but I don't get it. The 71 Win (the last of the 86 designs) was being changed (Johnson at Cooper Landing AK) and is being changed (Turnbull, etc.?) to larger calibers but requires some changes and beefing up.

I'm also sure the basics of the new vs old actions are pretty much the same. Comparing the 95 to the 86 is like apples and oranges tho. To be honest I'm not sure one is significantly stronger than the other. I've never had a finger pinch problem with either. Some people pinch fingers in all manner of actions :confused:. I hear that some don't like the 95 because of the potential for finger pinch since the whole trigger assembly drops on operation. Maybe it just looks ungainly and might grab something :) So who knows????

Trigger pull seems about the same comparing the 95 to the 86 originals with the edge going to the 95.... maybe.... and better than most of the more modern Win 94s or Marlin levers. The modern 95, 86 triggers- dunno?

Both assemblies are tricky but not impossible. The Win 94s and Marlin 95s are easier than both.

Both are excellent designs, just different.

Don McDowell
06-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Trying to compare the two rifles is sort of like comparing a johnathon apple to a winesap.
Like 405 said they are similar but different.
Winchester labeled the 405 win cartridge as the most powerful leveraction cartridge ever developed, and they're not entirely wrong. I can safely and easily push 300 gr bullets in excess of 2350 fps.
As to wildcat cartridges most anything based on the 06 case will work, Zhat customs in Casper Wy, has turned many 95's into the 375 Hawk.
The 86 is a plenty strong action, it'll handle a good variety of shorter fat cartridges, but is a bit heavy to pack around.
Neither one adapts to a scope without alot of piddlin, but for the majority of cartridges they are chambered in irons work plenty good.

jhrosier
06-01-2008, 10:03 PM
I have both an '86 in 45-70, and a '95 on .405.
The '86 is a extra-light and handles and points better for me than the '95.
I appreciate that the '86 will also handle much heavier bullets and components are more readily available.
Aside from the nostalgia factor, I would pick the '86 in 45-70 over the '95 in any caliber for general utility, every time.
However, the '95, in 30-06, would probably be a better choice for longer ranges, with "J" bullets, IMO.

I've spent years learning to keep my finger away from the trigger except when firing, so pinching is not an issue with either.

Jack

MtGun44
06-02-2008, 01:31 AM
If you are going to hunt with the rifle, IMHO the 95 is the most awkward
rifle I have every handled. The point of balance is at the action/mag area
where it is too wide to get a good grip on. I need to carry it with two hands
and this very quickly gets real old. You NEED a sling with a 95. The 86 carries
well, just like other leverguns, which is one of the nicest things about leverguns,
they just feel great in one hand and are really easy to carry. But not the

My $.02 worth.

Bill

Naphtali
06-02-2008, 02:11 AM
When I mentioned "larger bores," that was literal. Not necessarily more powerful than .405 WCF, bigger to take advantage of hard cast bullets rather than jacketed ones. M1886s are inherently "larger bores." That's that.

Thanks guys for clarifying my thoughts.

Lloyd Smale
06-02-2008, 06:34 AM
50 alaskan is a popular conversion for them.

Don McDowell
06-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Cast bullets for the 405 isn't all that big of a deal, especially now. 6 or 7 years ago , it was a problem.
You can do all right with gaschecked bullets sized at .411, I even shoot a 400 gr snover in mine that drops from the mold at .411 and at 1500 or so leading really isn't a problem.

Naphtali
06-02-2008, 10:52 AM
My thanks to all of you for clarifying my thoughts
Okay, I've successfully avoided buying yet another lever action platform. I have a Browning M71 and a USRAC/Winchester M1886 with semipistol grip, and one of the finger lever assemblies must be changed.

Discussing only the metal involved, what Midwest parts will I need to acquire to alter the lever to be identical with the other rifle? The M1886's semipistol grip has a longer, slightly larger lever. Right now, I'm thinking that the M71's lever must be changed, but I'm going to shoot several more times with gloves to be sure.

As I look at them, it appears the lever, lower tang, plus one or two screws are all that need changing, but I'm uncertain. Regardless which way I go, the buttstock will be either altered or replaced to suit.