PDA

View Full Version : 444 and 45-70 in short Hornady brass

Redd508
09-06-2016, 11:25 PM
Whats been your experience with the short brass? I've got some once fired brass from a friend and have read mixed opinions on it. For those who use it, do you use the lighter loads? I'm planning to load for this hunting season but shots are usually under 100 yards. Are there any issues i should be aware of? Thanks for the feedback.

dh2
09-07-2016, 03:25 AM
I do load both of these in Hornady short brass I cast soft on these so I just get my COL the same as any other brass and crimp it there yhe boolit is soft enough it will crimp in to it regardless of being in the grove or not. I do get better results with R-P brass but the difference is so small nothing on 4 legs will be able to tell the difference in side of 200 yards

Grapeshot
09-15-2016, 05:04 PM
Whats been your experience with the short brass? I've got some once fired brass from a friend and have read mixed opinions on it. For those who use it, do you use the lighter loads? I'm planning to load for this hunting season but shots are usually under 100 yards. Are there any issues i should be aware of? Thanks for the feedback.

I received a gallon bag of Hornady .45/70 brass a few years ago. Once I realized that they were shorter than my Winchester Brass, I used them to form .45-60 for my Winchester 1876. They can also be segregated for use in a particular firearm if you have more than one .45/70 rifle. I admit that it is a PITA to reset a case belling die and crimping die when loading these cases.

Oklahoma Rebel
09-15-2016, 06:14 PM
I use them, they work fine, but I make sure to keep them separate, so I don't end up with one in my star cases. I doubt it matters, but when I am loading for hunting, I use the star's and save the hornadys for taget work. have a good day!