PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92 hammer cock is LOUD. Cure?

JohnH
09-06-2016, 09:52 PM
Well the title says it all. I've two Rossi 92's one 38/357 one 44. Both are 24" octagon barrels and both have the same issue, cocking the hammer sounds like a hammer blow on an anvil. I want to hunt with the 44 but I'm sure at short ranges cocking the gun would give up the game. Is there a cure?

labradigger1
09-06-2016, 10:08 PM
Hold the trigger in while cocking then release the trigger while holding the hammer back.

M-Tecs
09-06-2016, 10:18 PM
Hold the trigger in while cocking then release the trigger while holding the hammer back.

That's what I do.

Artful
09-07-2016, 01:33 AM
That's what I do.

Yep, me too.

shoot-n-lead
09-07-2016, 02:08 AM

Me, four...solves the problem.

Buckshot
09-07-2016, 02:28 AM
..............Sounds like the trigger spring may be a touch too strong. Also if the notches are deep the trigger will 'snap' up into them as you cock the rifle. Pull the butt stock off and watch what happens as you cock the hammer. If you attempt to lighten the trigger spring I'd suggest you order a couple spares "Just in case". It shouldn't be a restricted part requiring you to ship the rifle back. To lighten the spring, thin it's width, and not it's thickness.

...............Buckshot

JohnH
09-07-2016, 05:33 AM
..............Sounds like the trigger spring may be a touch too strong. Also if the notches are deep the trigger will 'snap' up into them as you cock the rifle. Pull the butt stock off and watch what happens as you cock the hammer. If you attempt to lighten the trigger spring I'd suggest you order a couple spares "Just in case". It shouldn't be a restricted part requiring you to ship the rifle back. To lighten the spring, thin it's width, and not it's thickness.

...............Buckshot Thanks. Much closer to the answer I was looking for. My hands having a strong touch of arthritis don't work as well as they used to and fine tasks doing two things at once are a challenge these days and I don't like manipulating the hammer with the trigger pulled. Getting older aint for sissies.

Ballistics in Scotland
09-07-2016, 06:16 AM
I see in the Rossi schematic that to put the rifle on half-cock, you should pull the hammer back until you hear the distinctive sound of coupling. That really ought to let you know what's what.

http://www.rossiusa.com/pdf/rossi_manual_M92.pdf

Yes, buckshot has got it. The trigger spring can be thinned quite a bit before there is weak engagement. It might be too hard to file, especially with a file you value, but it can be done by rubbing it on coarse abrasive paper double-sided taped to something flat. It will take time, but it is television-watching work. Make sure the scratches run lengthwise.

It might benefit, from the point of view of trigger creep, from reducing the depth of the notch. But there are a couple of things to watch out for. As the hammer falls, the tip of the trigger mustn't strike the half-cock notch, and that may be weakened if you file or stone some metal away there too. Also the bearing surface of that notch may not be completely flat, so reducing it may get you to metal where the angle is different. The rule is that if you imagine the mating surfaces on trigger and sear extended upwards, they must pass through the hammer axis or behind it, not in front or there is a risk of the trigger jarring off when dropped.

If you don't want to work metal, you could glue a piece of thin rubber or glueable plastic to the trigger. But it must not produce the kind of resistance which could stop the trigger falling fully into place. If the notch is too deep, a thin piece could both reduce the engagement and avoid metal to metal contact. I would not use adhesive tape for this, as it might loosen and bunch up where it is dangerous. Alternatively a piece of strip or something spongy like computer mouse mat could contact the frame, both slowing it down and deadening sound like your thumb on a bell.

nekshot
09-07-2016, 07:51 AM
sounds like the lever with a dreaded cross bolt safety is what you need!

M-Tecs
09-07-2016, 08:56 AM
Thanks. Much closer to the answer I was looking for. My hands having a strong touch of arthritis don't work as well as they used to and fine tasks doing two things at once are a challenge these days and I don't like manipulating the hammer with the trigger pulled. Getting older aint for sissies.

The hammer extensions help with arthritic hands even without a scope.

http://www.shoprossi.com/hammer-extension-p701

https://www.outdoorgearbarn.com/p-15629-rossi-p701-hammer-extension.aspx

Ballistics in Scotland
09-07-2016, 10:28 AM
sounds like the lever with a dreaded cross bolt safety is what you need!

The schematic shows a firing-pin safety on top of the bolt, but I don't know how long they have had it. It looks like it will let the hammer fall with a click instead of a bang in an accidental discharge, and although a missed opportunity is better than fetching off a toe, it isn't good. It is also much smaller than the hammer. There might be a business opportunity for someone who can make a bigger safety.

Texas by God
09-07-2016, 11:49 PM
Cock the hammer as the sights align and shoot quick before they hear it! Mine is louder than my Winchesters but it hasn't been a problem hunting. Best, Thomas!