PDA

View Full Version : Signs of high pressure?

Chapo
09-06-2016, 06:39 PM
What do ya'll think??

35remington
09-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Why is one primer missing? Try to reprime and see if the primer fits snugly.

The remainder look like Glocked brass and a weak firing pin spring.

What did the chronograph say?

Chapo
09-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Thanks, Yeah, they were all fired from my G34. As for the firing pin, it was the competition firing pin spring. I researched and these are the breech face's mark.

35remington
09-06-2016, 08:43 PM
"Competition" parts are a euphemism for "more likely to make the gun malfunction" parts.

I cannot resolve the photo well, but if the firing pin strike is elongated or has a little tail on it instead of a round mark it's a weak firing pin spring that is the culprit.

Now how about answers to my questions?

Chapo
09-06-2016, 08:57 PM
The missing primer was a result of an explosion due to high pressures. If look closely, the last two cases from left to right are broken. No chrono bud.

OS OK
09-06-2016, 09:09 PM
Looking at all of the primers as a whole, focusing on the radius of the outside edge of the primers...they say to me that the FPS was all over the place...the loads were probably varying .4 of a grain or so...very wide spread.
Looking at the 3'rd from the right, at this narrow radius...this is the upper limits...for me...for pressure. If I hand trickle each load to build a limited supply of J-type HP's where I am focused on speed, I'll trust this load.
If I intend to load these using 'any powder throw' brand...I deduct .2 grains from the max load just spoken of to compensate for inaccuracy of the throw.
In question for me is this, looking at the ones from the left side..."Why didn't these primers 'reset' to flush?"
It's really too poor of a picture to suggest much more than this.

454PB
09-06-2016, 10:04 PM
9mm is very touchy......already a high pressure cartridge, then seat the boolit a little too deeply, and you have a pressure problem. The fact that one completely lost a primer would be enough to say the pressure is too high.

35remington
09-06-2016, 10:18 PM
"Explosion due to high pressure"?????

Just what were you doing and why? Is there some reason you wanted to cause problems?

Since you are responsible for this outcome, how did you bring it about?

bouncer50
09-06-2016, 11:03 PM
Check your powder scale make sure its accurate. That why i have two of them to double check my loads. Some times a near max load can be a over load in another gun. No two guns are all way the same when reloading. What is accurate in one gun might not be accurate in the other gun. Max loads are most of the time not the most accurate loads. 30 years of reloading has taught me a few things.

fatelk
09-07-2016, 12:50 AM
Ouch! Look closely at the two on the right: notice the jagged ruptured brass sticking out above them.

Chapo
09-07-2016, 07:21 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah the last two were ruptured by pressure. I was doing a ladder system to find the ideal load for a g34 built for competition with a compensator. After receiving some feedback, I realized they were seated too deep. I used the Hornady auto powder system.

44man
09-07-2016, 09:25 AM
Flow of a primer into the firing pin hole is a no-no. Although not flattened, they are signs of pressure.
I look through the one with the primer missing, why such a big flash hole? If that was the result of firing, you have surpassed sanity.

odfairfaxsub
09-07-2016, 10:08 AM
God was smiling on you that day. Someone told me my bhp was the only reason why my hands were still intact, he also told me same load in a glock could have ended up in personal injury. By chance did you use a 1970 vintage Lyman manual? What powder? What charge and bullet weight? What coal were you using. Deff write into your post that this load should be concidered fatal and is only to demonstrate what not to do

2ndAmendmentNut
09-07-2016, 10:51 AM
Holy sheep! You were ladder loading a 9mm? One case blew out, and you proceed to go the next step up? Reloading might not be the hobby for you.

reddog81
09-07-2016, 12:10 PM
Aside from the giant primer hole and blown cases, the primers on the right appear to fill out the primer pockets much more so than the ones on the left.

That's all I can notice given the lighting in the photo.

What bullet were you using and how deep was it seated. How many times has the brass been reloaded?

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-07-2016, 12:20 PM
Flow of a primer into the firing pin hole is a no-no. Although not flattened, they are signs of pressure.
I look through the one with the primer missing, why such a big flash hole? If that was the result of firing, you have surpassed sanity.
NT brass usually has large primer hole...but I can't read the headstamps on the fails.
===========================

What do ya'll think??

What do I think? with all the info you supplied with your question and photo, I think you should be buying factory ammo.

slughammer
09-07-2016, 04:55 PM
My thoughts as follows:
Use same head stamp for working up loads.
Stop after the 4th round in the ladder.
Pull the remaining rounds apart using a bullet puller.

Chapo
09-07-2016, 05:34 PM
Thanks all. I realized the OAL was too deep, so I seated higher in the case. Also, came to find out that the perfect functioning with the comp, load, and springs was: 5.9grs of WAC with a 13lbs spring.

P.S: The explosion occurred due to a mix of 6.7grs of WAC, seating too deep, and a compressed load.

NavyVet1959
09-07-2016, 06:10 PM
You want a sign of high pressure? Here's my experience...

http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/ria-10mm-ruptured-brass.jpg

Chapo
09-07-2016, 06:17 PM
I hear ya brother!

35remington
09-07-2016, 09:11 PM
A great deal more reading before doing is in order here as the lesson to be learned.

Two types of of reloading accidents: lack of knowledge and inattention. That about covers it.

odfairfaxsub
09-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Luckily my double load of clays in a 38 special didn't result in personal or equipment injury. I was shooting and my loads went boom, boom, boom, zarrrrooooooooooooom, (pause wth???).

stopped checked the casing and didn't see anything unusual but what would have caused the change in noise level and recoil? Figured must have been a double or a charge that dropped heavy somehow. Proceeded to shoot the rest off without incident.

OS OK
09-08-2016, 08:34 PM
A little duct tape there Navy and your good to go!

NavyVet1959
09-08-2016, 10:24 PM
A little duct tape there Navy and your good to go!

My M1911 disassembled itself in my hand on that "oops"...

That's what I get for interrupting my reloading and not getting back to it for a couple of weeks. I had forgotten that I had changed out the powder on one of my powder measures for a new load I was trying out at the time.

OS OK
09-09-2016, 01:13 AM
Oooops! The Duke would have remarked..."That damn Chinaman is runnin those cheap shells on me again!"