PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of the non-stand-up the Boolit PC baking method - have Q's

ghh3rd
09-06-2016, 04:06 PM
I tried out powder coating a while back, and the boolits came out nice. I started out by buying a PC Gun at HF, but it sort of seemed cumbersome. Then I read about the Cool Whip container method, and found it worked well too, with less fuss.

Then..... then.... my Craigs List convection oven got dropped to the concrete floor, and I haven't PC'd since. It's been awhile, and I'm thinking about shopping Craigslist for another oven.

This time, I would like to go even simpler, as I've read can be done. It seems that some of you are just dumping the freshly PC'd boolits onto a mesh screen and baking them without standing them up. I even read about someone not bothering to separate them before baking.

When you cook them on a mesh, doesn't a lot of the PC get removed and expose lead? When the boolit's are making contact with each other during baking, such as when they are stacked two deep, don't they stick together?

Thanks for any input.

Randy

Obmi
09-06-2016, 04:13 PM
There is a guy on you tube called Elvis ammo. His come out beautiful. He is the one that made me choose to powder coat in the first place. Check out this video of his.

http://youtu.be/KGqLzWzKfes

ghh3rd
09-06-2016, 05:49 PM
Interesting video - so although they stick together, they are fine.

I checked and it looks like the Eastwood powder is about $8.49 for 8 oz. I read on their site that their powders "are optimized to promote static charge for uniform coverage and finish".

I do like the the way the Eastwood coated those boolits without airsoft BB's... but Harbor Freight red is $5.49 for 16 oz, and no shipping - less than 1/3 the cost. Are you using the Eastwood power with this method, or something else like Harbor Freight?

Thanks

Obmi
09-06-2016, 11:03 PM
I am using Harbor freight when i run out I will order the blue stuff Elvis Ammo uses.
176038This is how mine come out

And this is what I use. I just put them in a swirl for about a min. I don't use bb's or any thing.
176039 176040 It cost about 2 bucks at lowes. I just tumble and dump them onto a mesh tray i got at bed bath any beyond. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/org-mesh-bin-6-inch-x-9-inch-drawer-organizer/1014742042?poc=130634

ghh3rd
09-06-2016, 11:29 PM
Wow - I'm surprised that it's working that well for you without the airsoft BB's. I thought they were there to create static and the reason that Elvis didn't need them was because of his premium powder that creates static.

So you coat them, shake them off on a wire mesh, spread them out in a single layer, and they fill in where paint is knocked off? And their isn't any lead exposed?

shoot-n-lead
09-06-2016, 11:57 PM
I have coated thousands upon thousands, in the last 3 plus years...used the BB's ONE time...never do that again. Absolutely not necessary to get good coverage and a PITA to have to separate the BB's before cooking...cause I will not waste my time picking them up, one at a time, to stand them on their base...another waste of time for no benefit. And, I don't use any premium powder...Harbor Freight works on everything that I coat...handgun bullets for handguns and lever action rifles.

I shake'em in powder coat (no BB's) dump'em into a plastic collander and shake off excess powder, them dump them out on nonstick foil, cook'em and then size'em. Easy as pie and they perform flawlessly. It is not necessary to stand them up...it just is not. Don't over complicate this...or make this unnecessarily effort and time intensive as that is NOT necessary to powder coat great shooting bullets.

Now, if you insist on your bullets being perfect works of art...knock yourself out with all of the minutiae required to do that...just understand that they will only look slightly better and will not perform ANY better.

One disclaimer for the above...I know the above applies to ALL straightwall handgun rounds at velocities up to 1800fps ...I have not coated bottleneck rifle cartridge bullets.

A pause for the COZ
09-07-2016, 02:20 AM
I have been known to use this.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_9372_zpsc50d3b02.jpg

WebMonkey
09-07-2016, 08:16 AM
Same.
Hardware cloth built trays.
:)

Obmi
09-07-2016, 07:11 PM
I was thinking are you sure you using a number 5 plastic to generate your static charge?

jcwit
09-07-2016, 09:18 PM
I use the tub that cole slaw comes in off the deli. No idea what # it is but it works for me and no BB's

Also use something similar to hardware cloth, actually its a piece of screening that's supposed to keep leafs out of the gutter.

Coating is from an Amish powder coating enterprize close to me, no idea what brand but they sell it do me for $5.00 for a large cole slae tub, again from the deli.

All of the above works well for me!

BTW, the color is red.

RP
09-07-2016, 10:24 PM
Dang I don t like coleslaw have to stick with the cool whip bowl :kidding:

jcwit
09-07-2016, 10:56 PM
Dang I don t like coleslaw have to stick with the cool whip bowl :kidding:

Whatever works for you. LOL :D:D

Coleslaw bowl is just what I grabbed. :drinks: