PDA

View Full Version : Molly coated lead bullets

AbitNutz
09-06-2016, 12:40 PM
So I have played with molly coated jacketed rifle bullets for some time with mostly good results.

What I don't know about is molly coated lead bullets but for a different reason. Getting cast lead to run through a bullet feeder is a real chore. It kinda/sorta, more or less works if I coat the bullets in talcum powder...also a pain because it gets everywhere.

I know that when I molly coat jacketed bullets, the molly does not rub off after I'm done with the process. It's on there for good...

What about molly coating lead? I expect that the molly would not rub off and would make its journey through the bullet feeder more easily...I'm confused about lubrication of the lead bullet. Should it be lubed through a lubrisizer? Or just sized, not lubed, and then molly coated? If I have to actually lube the bullets, it's not going to work well for my purposes as it's the lube that causes the issues.

If I can just cast the lead bullet, size it, not lubricate it, and then just molly coat it...things look much better. Will the molly coating act as a reasonable substitute for the traditional stick lube? I have read yes and no...