PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92 extractor $141

30hrrtt
09-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Called Rossi for a replacement extractor and the price quoted was $141. They said I needed to order a whole new bolt assembly. Yikes!!!!!! Any alternatives out there?

Greg S
09-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Check numerich arms and Brownells.

victorfox
09-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Homesteadparts.com

Artful
09-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Check with your gunsmith - a lot of Winchester 92 parts will fit on Rossi 92 rifles

Ballistics in Scotland
09-06-2016, 10:55 AM
On this thread there is a schematic for the Rossi, and there are others for both the original and Japanese-made versions on wwwgunpartscorp.com . None of the look very different (although there are different versions for the different chamberings), and that is information you might get from someone on this thread. It might be that one of these will fit the Rossi (I can't think why they would make it so that they can't), or can be modified. A 92 extractor can be thinned by coarse abrasive paper double-sided taped to something flat, or with even a hand-held belt sander.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/lever-action-rifles-sponsored-by-henry-repeating-arms/stiff-action-92-rossi/

In fact (looking at my 94) it wouldn't be that difficult to make one from scratch. Any kind of spring steel or non-stainless knife blade of good quality would be fine, but you can buy precision ground O1 tool steel bars on eBay, and all you need to do is cut and file it, heat to red and quench it (in oil if it is O1), then temper it. The easiest way of tempering is immerse it in motor oil in a shallow can, ignite it with a torch, and when it has burned away you have a dirty but spring-tempered piece of metal.

It's troublesome, but paying $141 is very troublesome. It would also be one of those small victories that keep us sane. Even Winchester in the nineteenth century made its parts interchangeable. Of course there is a perfectly logical reason for Rossi wanting to sell you the bolt assembly as well. They want the money.

Ithaca Gunner
09-06-2016, 10:56 AM
If a Winchester will fit, flea bay has them starting at $20.00. There are two sizes, one for 25-20/32-20 and one for 38-40/44-40.

hylander
09-06-2016, 02:05 PM
Here is the one for the Winchester.
Not sure if it will fit the Rossi

http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_879.htm

knifemaker
09-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Go to this website: www.stevesgunz.com (http://www.stevesgunz.com) and ask Steve Young if he can help you. He sells upgraded parts for the Rossi 92 and does gunsmithing for the cowboy action shooters .

John Boy
09-06-2016, 03:18 PM
There are two sizes, one for 25-20/32-20 and one for 38-40/44-40. Because the rim & web diameters are different. A 32-20 will work for a 38 Spl/357

John Boy
09-06-2016, 03:44 PM
Here is the one for the Winchester.
Not sure if it will fit the Rossi
http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_879.htm

For comparison to the Rossi '92 extractor ... http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Rossi_92_Parts.htm
The original & Rossi look the same to me

Rebel Dave
09-06-2016, 03:44 PM
Rossi won't sell lots of parts to you, if they are on their "restricted list" They have the worst customer support of any company I have ever dealt with, and the real sad part is they don't care. I needed an ejector for a R92 .44 mag and they wouldn't sell me one, just the whole bolt. I sold some parts off the gun to recoup some of my loss. I have 3 other Rossi, and wont buy any more.
Rebel Dave

John Boy
09-06-2016, 04:05 PM
30h ... BTW. what is wrong with the extractor that you want to replace?
If the issue it won't extract a spent case, the claw end can be lengthened by just whacking the claw with a hammer. The rifle will never know the claw is thinner
I do this all the time with revolver hands to adjust indexing of the cylinder

Tackleberry41
09-06-2016, 05:16 PM
Its not just Rossi with the restricted parts, tho most companies do at least care if your alive or dead. My dad had a mini14 years ago. Watching me disassemble my M1A decided he would take the bolt apart, the little detent for the extractor went flying. Ruger said send the gun back if he wanted a new one. Fortunately he was a tool and die maker, so just made one.

HarryT
09-06-2016, 05:52 PM
You should get the Rossi extractor, two hundred years from now a Rossi collector will thank you.

30hrrtt
09-06-2016, 07:09 PM
It's a 357. At first it launched the spents into orbit. That didn't last. Now it slips over the top of most as it is pulling them from the chamber. I cleaned the chamber and was hoping it had gunk or a metal shaving under the extractor so it wouldn't go down all the way. But it does not and is clean. The extractor is touching but the end with the hook seems it should go down farther. Almost like it was somehow bent but it doesn't look deformed in any way. It for sure isn't the big hunk of metal on Nate's video. It is really a little thin.

30hrrtt
09-06-2016, 07:14 PM
The ejector is also rough probably putting more force on the casing than necessary. The bolt has a small ridge that the ejector it is hanging up on a little. This is really one of the poorest quality guns I've seen. The chatter marks on the rifling are horrendous as well. I may just try bending the end a little. The gun isn't worth sticking much into. I love lever guns and HAD some pretty high hopes for this rifle but those ended sooner than later.

KCSO
09-06-2016, 08:38 PM
Just use the Winchester part a little cleaning up and it will fit fine.

FergusonTO35
09-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Ok, I think the only way I'll own a Rossi is if it's free. Remlin at their worst sounds awfully good compared to what I am reading here.

Ballistics in Scotland
09-07-2016, 04:05 AM
It's a 357. At first it launched the spents into orbit. That didn't last. Now it slips over the top of most as it is pulling them from the chamber. I cleaned the chamber and was hoping it had gunk or a metal shaving under the extractor so it wouldn't go down all the way. But it does not and is clean. The extractor is touching but the end with the hook seems it should go down farther. Almost like it was somehow bent but it doesn't look deformed in any way. It for sure isn't the big hunk of metal on Nate's video. It is really a little thin.

It might be that it doesn't leave enough space to slip down over the rim. In this case filing or stoning the hook part might help. Another possibility is that the ejector is operating too soon, and trying to eject the case while the front end is still in the chamber. I wouldn't try bending it without knowing if it is hardened, for it could break. Scratch it with a needle, and if it feels hard you will have to anneal it and reharden afterwards.

Ballistics in Scotland
09-07-2016, 04:07 AM
Just use the Winchester part a little cleaning up and it will fit fine.

Very likely you are right, but it isn't unknown for manufacturers to make slight changes devoid of functional benefit, just to make sure you buy your spares from them. So it would be useful to know if you have found this from actual comparison of the parts.

paraord
09-07-2016, 11:41 AM
Hold the reigns my friend, I am pretty sure I had the exact same thing you had. I tried to get the ejector spring stop from Rossi and it was a big ol runaround with Rossi.

Now I had that spring stop have some slack at the rearward end too. I ended up driving the pins out to see if the holes were elongated. They were not. So upon installation I placed one from the left, and one from the right. Bingo fixed.

Shoot me a PM if you want to talk about it, if it can save you from spending some cash all the better.

30hrrtt
09-13-2016, 09:55 PM
FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! Not sure what was wrong with it. There weren't shavings or crud under the extractor. There was a slight steel rise from manufacturing that I filed off that maybe gave a few thousands but then it worked that way when I first got it.

I completely stripped it and cleaned it all with break cleaner per Nate's video. There was a LOT of crud and even metal dust, pieces from manufacturing. I installed the lighter ejector spring form Nate I bought 3 years ago to do :-( That put a little less pressure on the casing during extracting. The original was really stiff. Then lightly sprayed everything with Rem. oil and put it all back together. Not only does it work. It's really a lot smoother. I should have done that before I ever even fired a round in it.