PDA

View Full Version : Lee Bulge Buster for 45 ACP

Bayou52
09-06-2016, 10:05 AM
Hi, Guys -

Just an inquiry to see what the members' experiences may be:

Does anyone use a Lee Bulge Buster for processing 45 ACP cases? If so, what's the benefit in performance in doing so?

I already use the Lee Factory Crimp Die and was wondering if there was any additional benefit to using the bulge buster kit for 45 ACP.

Thanks, in advance, for your comments.

Bayou52

LabGuy
09-06-2016, 12:21 PM
When using range pick up my case gauge failures went from about 2/1000 to 0/1000. I only use it once on new to me range pickup.

Char-Gar
09-06-2016, 12:36 PM
I have loaded 1/4 million 45 ACP rounds, and have never used the aforementioned Lee gizmo.

I do not shoot a glock 45 and have never found any range brass that could not be brought back to spec with a FL sizing die, even brass fired in a Thompson SMG.

In order to stay in business, a company needs new sales. They can do this by making their product 1) obsolete, 2) wear out/break and 3) created a need for an unneeded thing through marketing. Lee does 2 and 3 above.

marlin39a
09-06-2016, 12:50 PM
I've been reloading 45 ACP since 1978. I never had to use a bulge buster. I'm currently reloading once fired cases from Glocks, and they resize fine through my RCBS carbide dies. Drop right into a case gauge fine.

Bayou52
09-06-2016, 01:05 PM
Thanks, guys.

Actually, my 45s work quite well. I only reload them to a moderate load of 4.9 gr. of 700-X with 230 ball.

But, I do pick up a lot of brass at the range, and that stuff has an unknown history. I also use a Dillon case gauge for my 45s, and I've noticed that the vast majority of FL sized brasses fit flush and fall in and out just fine, but every now and then, a brass won't fit completely flush in the case gauge.

No telling where those brasses came from or where they've been, so that's the reason I was thinking about the bulge buster die for those particular cases.

Thanks, bayou52

Der Gebirgsjager
09-06-2016, 01:42 PM
I do have a Glock 21, but don't shoot it much any more. I never had a problem with resizing the brass in a regular Lee carbide sizing die. Love that Factory Crimp die!

Bonz
09-06-2016, 01:48 PM
The Lee Bulge Buster setup and CasePro roll sizer both return the web of the brass to their proper dimensions. To each their own.

garym1a2
09-06-2016, 02:22 PM
I use my Lee budge buster for 40S&W. I brought the 45acp version also but never found a need to use it.

Bayou52
09-06-2016, 02:54 PM
The Lee Bulge Buster setup and CasePro roll sizer both return the web of the brass to their proper dimensions. To each their own.

Thanks, Bonz -

This little Lee Bulge Buster kit is cheap, so I may get one to try it out on those brasses that don't fit flush in the case gauge even after FL sizing. Not much loss if it doesn't pan out............

Thanks, Bayou52

ncbearman
09-06-2016, 03:25 PM
I have heard the term case gauge here several times. I too am a .45 guy. 35 years now. And have never used a case gauge. Am I doing it wrong. I have used my barrel in the past if I felt a need. But never a case gauge.

Bayou52
09-06-2016, 03:28 PM
I suppose the best case gauge would be your own barrel. I use the Dillon case gauge mostly because I simply keep it at hand with the reloading stuff..........

ncbearman
09-06-2016, 03:32 PM
So then more for the sake of convenience than anything else? I could see that. Maybe I'll get one and try it........old dog?

Bayou52
09-06-2016, 03:48 PM
So then more for the sake of convenience than anything else? I could see that. Maybe I'll get one and try it........old dog?

That's about it, nc. Very convenient to have the case gauge within reach on the bench. If you do want to try one out, the Dillon is made out of stainless. I had a Lyman once but it tended to form rust so it had to be stored in an oily rag. A bit messy at times..........

mold maker
09-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Range pickup 45 ACP is neither rare or expensive. In the fail rate mentioned, Why Bother?
A case gauge is a wise investment if it only keeps you from one mistake. HS matters.

clum553946
09-06-2016, 07:25 PM
I use it for my 45, it is an extra step, but it makes sizing a lot easier when I load on my progressive. I still shoot my 45 for Steel Challenge so it's just one more insurance step to make sure I don't have any misfeeds when I'm competing. I need all of the help I can get!

David2011
09-10-2016, 11:35 AM
When using range pick up my case gauge failures went from about 2/1000 to 0/1000. I only use it once on new to me range pickup.

Range pickup 45 ACP is neither rare or expensive. In the fail rate mentioned, Why Bother?
A case gauge is a wise investment if it only keeps you from one mistake. HS matters.

Best answers but most were spot on. I have never reloaded a .45 ACP that wouldn't chamber in a barrel and very few that wouldn't pass a case gage. Those that failed the gage usually had lead shaved from the boolit base. IMO the best case gage is a real case gage and your barrel is an OK case gage. Real case gages are machined to SAAMI minimum chamber size specs; most barrels (MOST!) will be larger but some will be tight.

David

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-10-2016, 12:07 PM
I use my Lee budge buster for 40S&W. I brought the 45acp version also but never found a need to use it.
I also use the Lee BB for range pickup 40
the 40 is a high pressure round, the 45 isn't.
As I understand it, the 45 doesn't have the issue of the bulge from a partially unsupported chamber, due to the lower pressure...maybe I'm wrong???
I load lots of 40 and 45 using range pickup brass, which I inspect, I've seen a occasional bulge on 40 range pickup, but never on a 45 range pickup.

garym1a2
09-10-2016, 12:18 PM
I always BB the 40, but if I see the budge I will scrap it. I load 40 to minor power only and have blown a case once in my Glock barrel. Never a problem in my aftermarket barrels and they have over 10k rounds in them. I only pull a few hundred rounds in the Glock22 factory barrel, between this and leading issue I wont load my glock22 nor 35 will cast in factory barrels.

I also use the Lee BB for range pickup
the 40 is a high pressure round, the 45 isn't.
As I understand it, the 45 doesn't have the issue of the bulge from a partially unsupported chamber, due to the lower pressure...maybe I'm wrong???
I load lots of 40 and 45 using range pickup brass, which I inspect, I've seen a occasional bulge on 40 range pickup, but never on a 45 range pickup.

BossMaverick
09-10-2016, 12:27 PM
In my opinion, the BB is a waste of money for .45acp. The history of bulged cases started with .40 in the early Glocks. They had a relatively large unsupported chamber in the area of the feed ramp, so the cases would bulge out a little from the high pressures of being fired. Glocks in .45acp never had that large of an unsupported area and the .45acp is much lower pressure than the .40 so I've never seen a bulged .45acp case like the .40's.

For what its worth, the early Glocks in .40 were known to have ruptured cases from reloaded brass that was over-stressed from the bulge. Glock has mostly gone away with unsupported chambers so bulge issues and ruptured cases are mainly a thing of the past. Its only still an issue if you have an early Glock and/or use brass from an early Glock.

There may be other makes and models in the .40 that bulge cases but Glock is the most common.

Char-Gar
09-10-2016, 01:19 PM
I have heard the term case gauge here several times. I too am a .45 guy. 35 years now. And have never used a case gauge. Am I doing it wrong. I have used my barrel in the past if I felt a need. But never a case gauge.

No, you are not doing it wrong. I am 50+ years deep in reloading the 45 ACP in 1911 pistols and I don't own a case guage. I have loaded well over 1/4 million rounds of the stuff. If, I needed such a thing, I would have discovered it before now.

Reloading the 45 ACP for accuracy and reliability in a 1911 is a very simple process. If, your took all the stuff on this board seriously about the subject, you would think it is rocket science.

AbitNutz
09-10-2016, 01:41 PM
I'm always open to new ideas and better ways but I'm a total pragmatist. If I'm picking up range 45 acp brass, I can see giving this a try. However, if I have a gun that is producing a bulged case...I think I'm going to fix the gun or the load that's producing it because something is wrong.

Eddie17
09-10-2016, 02:24 PM
This is and inexpensive item that, I have used a number of times when needed.
No need to buy for multiple calibers if you have the LFCD for your problem cases.

lotech
09-10-2016, 02:32 PM
I've loaded .45 ACP for a number of pistols for a long time and have never heard of the Lee Bulge Buster. Glad I haven't needed it. Like the Lee Factory crimp die, if used judiciously, it probably does no harm. But are such items necessary if you're doing everything properly? I'm not an expert and attempt to be open-minded about these things; hope I'm not missing an important aspect here.

W.R.Buchanan
09-10-2016, 03:49 PM
I approached Lee about 10 years ago after seeing a video on Youtube about using a Lee Factory crimp die on size .40S&W brass. I suggested that they assemble a kit using stuff they already made for a new product.

Miraculously about two months later the Lee Bulge Buster Kit came out, but somehow they decided to make it for 9MM .40S&W/10MM and .45 ACP.

Here's the deal,,,

9MM is a tapered case and whereas it will go thru a Lee Factory Crimp die body it won't do anything.

.45 ACP doesn't bulge cases and every single case I have in my possession is Range Pickup, and none have been run thru a Bulge Buster because it isn't necessary. They get cleaned and ran thru the 550B and shot and I may or may not ever find them again. I had to buy a Glock 21SF to shoot these rounds as I had accumulated so many cases that I couldn't ignore it any more. Now is is my favorite Auto Pistol Round. My G21 has had exactly 2 factory round fired and they were +P' to see if there was any big difference,,, There wasn't,,, so I don't shoot them.

The .40 S&W is another story. I have literally thousands and all of them have been inspected and ran thru the Bulge Buster. I am looking specifically for cases marked FC and FC-10. These are responsible for the vast majority of Glock Blow ups and I have found several that were blown. These cases were mfg'd by Federal early on and after they are fired once they become very unsafe as the web of the case if not as high up the sides as newer brass is. DO NOT RELOAD CASES MARKED FC OR FC-10!

After the cases are ran thru the de bulging operation they are tumbled and segregated by head stamp. The vast majority of cases I have fired and picked up are Winchester. So I keep them.

Other headstamps get loaded and shot at places where I can't pick them up so they are a one way trip.

I Seldom reload a .40 S&W case more that 2 times, mainly because I can't find them. Believe me,,, there are plenty more where they came from, so it's no big loss.

As far as the Lee kit goes it works fine for this case prep operation. You still have to F/L Size your brass prior to reloading it so don't think the Debulging operation is a Reloading Operation. It is NOT! it is a Case Prep Operation.

On 9MM and .45 ACP it is pointless.

Randy

Bayou52
09-10-2016, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Randy -

Bayou52

Iowa Fox
09-10-2016, 04:33 PM

I went for a long time with never a problem loaded on a couple Dillons. A few years ago my oldest son borrowed a few boxes for a match because he was working long hours and just ran out of time. During the match he had one where his 1911 did not go into battery, he had to bump it with the palm of his left hand just slightly and it went. That kind of rattled us both as it was the first time for one of my loads. Took a long time for me to find another one but traced it to cases picked up mixed in with cases from my 1911. You might think your picking only your own up but sooner or latter you'll get some that were not fired in your gun. Up to that point I used my barrel for checking but only spot checked. I ordered a Lee bulge buster for any cases not fired in my 1911. I also ordered a Dillon case gage and every single loaded round gets checked before being boxed. You can also run loaded round threw the bulge buster if some will not freely drop into the case gage. I have a few friends that are commercial loads and it is a concern for them also. Redding also makes a version of a push threw sizing die just for the bulge some dies will not remove from the acp shape cases.

NoAngel
09-10-2016, 05:18 PM
9MM is a tapered case and whereas it will go thru a Lee Factory Crimp die body it won't do anything.

Randy

That's only part of the reason. Unbeknownst to many, a 9mm case is 'technically' a semi-rimmed case. The rim is larger than the body. I didn't know this..until I shattered the carbide ring in a FCD trying to use a the bulge buster on them. Live and learn. It ain't been the only dumb mistake I ever made.

Eddie17
09-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Lee had in past cataolges listed the 9mm Markov as the bulge buster die to use.
Not listed as such in their current catalogue from what I can see.

jmorris
09-10-2016, 06:19 PM
.45 ACP doesn't bulge cases

I started roll sizing so I could reload 45 ACP that we ran through SMG's that were bulged below what a normal size die could fix.

Then there are occasional dents and dings in the rims that won't let them pass a case gauge either that can be fixed too.

And this is how you learn about that.

Up to that point I used my barrel for checking but only spot checked. I ordered a Lee bulge buster for any cases not fired in my 1911. I also ordered a Dillon case gage and every single loaded round gets checked before being boxed. You can also run loaded round threw the bulge buster if some will not freely drop into the case gage.

It happens because when you "plunk" test it doesn't check the rim much if at all vs. A case gauge.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/DSC02128.jpg

But your breech face will find the problem and stop the pistol, sometimes, generally during a match when you least want it to.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/DSC02130.jpg

Bayou52
09-10-2016, 10:30 PM
Thanks, jmorris, for the info and the pics. The little bulge buster kit was pretty inexpensive, so I picked one up and have started toying with it. In my experience with 45s, I use a Dillon case gauge after sizing to assure each brass fits smoothly and flush, just like shown in your pic. Simply for convenience, I use the case gauge rather than the barrel for checking the cases. After sizing, roughly 5 - 10 % or so of the sized cases would not fit flush in the case gauge at the rim or the head right above the rim.

After running the cases through the bulge buster (FCD), all fit flush and smooth. It appears this process perhaps uniforms the head area and rim of the cases.

That's what I'm seeing so far with this process/tool.....

Bayou52

W.R.Buchanan
09-12-2016, 12:23 PM
The die would clean up the rims, I got caught up in the bulge. Since I am shooting mine in a G21 and G36 I have not had any malfunctions related to any case issues. In fact I haven't had any malfunctions at all. Glocks are pretty forgiving of ammo types, but the only experience I have is running about 5000 range pickups thru my G21SF. Like I said above only 2 factory rounds have been fired in that gun.

Randy

jmorris
09-12-2016, 12:31 PM
After sizing, roughly 5 - 10 % or so of the sized cases would not fit flush in the case gauge at the rim or the head right above the rim.

Thats a pretty high number but not unheard of from "range pickup". Before I bought my first roll sizer, I just inserted the case into the gauge backwards and gave it a twist, nine times out of 10 that's all it took to fix it.

dragon813gt
09-12-2016, 03:35 PM
I haven't found a need for one in 45acp. But I use it for every round, every time for 10mm and 357 Sig. It's just another added step in case prep. It doesn't add much time but it can destroy your fingers in short order ;)

Bayou52
09-12-2016, 08:16 PM
Thanks for all of the comments, guys. They are appreciated.

After running a batch of 100 the range pick-up cases through the bulge buster (FCD), all fit flush and smooth in the Dillon case gauge. Several of them would not fit flush before (at the rim or head area right above the rim). It appears this process perhaps "uniforms" the head area and rim of the cases. That's just my description, and it's probably not technically correct from an engineering standpoint.

Yesterday, I loaded those 100 of the cases and brought them to the range later in the day. There were zero fails to feed. I used several bullet 230 grain types including RN plated, RN lead powder coated, Hornady FTX HP, and Montana Gold HP.

The pistol is a SR1911 with almost 1K rounds of reloads through it. I've never shot more than a handful of factory rounds so I don't have experience with those. I've noticed about 1 or 2 fail to feeds per 100 reloads in the past. The press is set to have a slight camover using the sizing die, so it's doing the most it can do.

Having no FTFs today out of the cases put through the bulge buster was a good sign and certainly encouraging.

That's my early experience so far.....

Bayou52

DocSavage
09-12-2016, 09:00 PM
I've loaded 45 auto off and on for the 45 years I've been reloading and never ran into a case that couldn't be resized in a standard carbide size die. If you run into a bulged case in 45 auto a 308 or 30'06 rifle die will work as well if not better than the Lee bulge buster.

jmorris
09-13-2016, 09:29 AM
If you run into a bulged case in 45 auto a 308 or 30'06 rifle die will work as well if not better than the Lee bulge buster.

I think your missing part of what we are talking about. It doesn't matter what kind of die you are using, if the rim is in a shell holder there is no way you can size, the rim or just above it.

With a push through sizer you are not holding the case by the extractor grove to pull it back out, rather shoving it all the way through so the entire length is resized.

If you roll size you can do one better and uniform the extractor grove as well.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/casepro/DSC02110.jpg

ncbearman
09-13-2016, 10:12 AM
Was the bulge buster intended to be used "after" the case is loaded with a projectile in it? In other words a final step in the reloading process? And if so would it not remove your seat and cause the case to release the projectile? I don't crimp .45acp but just give it enough to "straighten out" the case after seating. I have once in a while come across a finished bullet that somehow "bulged" during the loading process after it had been sized, charged and seated. If the bulge buster doesn't effect seating/crimping I could see where it might come in handy once in a while. But then you could also just put it in the take apart later jar to reload at another time. Which is what I have done for 40 years now. But…………not sayin' this old dog can't learn new tricks.

dragon813gt
09-13-2016, 10:28 AM
The bulge bulge buster is meant to be used as a case prep step before the round is loaded.

trebor44
09-13-2016, 11:43 AM
A bulge buster for the .40 S&W is a nice comfort because I do pickup a lot of 'range' brass. For the .45 ACP I have never used one but have found more than a few cases that were 'bulged' by the seated bullet. It was related to the brand of brass. If it passed the case gauge test I didn't worry about it. But the one thing I do and don't care how time consuming it is, I case gauge ALL of the semi-auto stuff I reload. The barrel thing is better than nothing but a case gauge is my preference. Any that don't pass the gauge test are put aside and inspected for the issue and corrected as needed or torn apart and discarded if they can't be corrected. The bottom line is use the tools you need to feel comfortable with.

BossMaverick
09-17-2016, 03:03 AM
As I mentioned before, I've never had feeding issues with .45acp brass using just a standard sizing die, but I realized that I shoot production pistols meant for self defense so they have loose chambers. For you folks that have had feeding issues from non-perfect brass, are you using match grade barrels with tight chambers?

jmorris
09-17-2016, 04:48 AM
Only problems I have is generally with "range brass" or ones that were fired I. Some of our loose SMG chambers.

If you have never had a 45acp feed issue, go find some wood to knock on.

I generally like a combination that will feed and chamber an empty case. Always seems like they will eat anything at that point.

That is unless there is a problem with the base of the case that goes unfixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_W2LyTQVrs

Liberty1776
04-20-2019, 12:10 AM
I realize this is a late reply, but it's the web. Information lives here a long time.

I like to push my finished .45 ACP reload through the Lee bulge buster after reloading.

I can definitely feel a different resistance as different rounds are pushed through the bulge buster sizing die. Some of my .45ACP brass dates back to WWI. No fooling. I'm making a display case that has .45 brass from WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam.

John Browning's masterpiece has fought in a lot of wars...and won.

Bulge Busting is the last step.

I've simply had too many reloads fail to feed or fail to eject. If I can remove one more variable, it's worth it to me.

So I push the reloads through the Lee Bulge Buster.

Walks
04-20-2019, 02:10 AM
I bought one of the Redding push through size die setups for 40S&W when they came out. It made a difference. What made a bigger difference was buying Wolf bbl's for all My Glocks. Used those and My Gold Cup bbl as "chamber checkers".

My Buddy and I had a side business selling reloads for a few years to the guys he worked with.
He sized the 45,40 & 9 in bulge buster dies then sized/ decapped in a RCBS carbide die and primed them.

I then put them thru my Hornady L-N-L to load them up. The guys would bring back the brass and we'd load them up again. I remember He used a 9mm Makarov for the 9 Luger cases.
We never heard a complaint.

He passed away from Cancer 3 years ago. Only 42yrs old. Knew him for 26yrs. Like having a little brother again. But not as stupid.

Wouldn't do it again.

But the bulge busters do work. I don't have to use them anymore because of the Wolf bbls.

Bayou52
04-21-2019, 08:30 PM
Since starting this thread a couple years ago, I have incorporated the 45acp Bulge Busting die into my brass processing routine. Since I only shoot range pick-ups with no known history, this die is a "uniforming" die making the case heads and rims quite uniform. I've got over 8K rounds through my SR 1911, and I've had only one hang up in the last 5K rounds or so since using the die.

So, the die seems to work for me, and all of my 45 brass gets processed using this Bulge Buster.

All the Best -

Bayou52

Iowa Fox
04-21-2019, 11:59 PM
The Lee bulge buster works and works well. The drawback of the 1911 is picking up brass and it seems someones junk always finds its way into yours. Use lots of good lube to push them thru.

GONRA
04-23-2019, 06:42 PM
In GONRA's experience, a quality sizing die that will size waaay down to the extractor groove will verk great with 9mm and.45 ACP Range Pickup Brass.
If a cases are really screwed up - SCRAP 'EM!