PDA

View Full Version : RCBS sizer die in a LYMAN #4500?

redgum
09-06-2016, 09:00 AM
I have never come across this before, but i tried to install an RCBS .458" sizer die in my Lyman #4500 and it wouldn't go all the way down. It sat about 1/8th of an inch out of the housing. I tried the prescribed method of placing the flat sizer nut spanner across the top and pushing down with the handle, but it would not go in for love or money. What's worse I used the also prescribed method of using the spanner on it's edge between the push rod and and the lifter link/loop and it tokk considerable pressure to get it back out, Enough ib fact to crush the spanner out of shape.

Is it not so that the RCBS & LYMAN sizer dies are interchangeable? and if it is then what is the likely problem here?

Dusty Bannister
09-06-2016, 09:38 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?164702-RCBS-dies-in-a-Lyman-450

Looks like some have troubles with the dies, others do not. I have RCBS and Star sizers, so no issues here. A short search should give you information on what might be done to correct the fit in your lube sizer. It has been a while since I read that thread.

redgum
09-06-2016, 10:03 AM
Thank You D B .......looks like I'm not alone then :)

454PB
09-06-2016, 12:35 PM
I make most of my sizing dies, but I also have a lot of Lyman and RCBS sizing dies. All of the RCBS dies fit the Lyman, but maybe I'm just lucky. You need to do some measuring (even an accurate caliper will work for this), look for a diameter of .700". Anything bigger needs to be modified.

gwpercle
09-08-2016, 03:41 PM
I can't believe you were able to crush the wrench, I would have thought the linkage would break first. I have only one older RCBS die out of 12 Lyman dies for my Lyman 450, I ordered a Lyman from Midway and they sent this one RCBS made die , marked with a sticker Lyman / RCBS.
This 8 year old die does fit.
You need to do some measuring.....I wonder if someone changed something .
From an earlier post it seems not all , about 90 %, will fit , the other 10% are too large.
What a way to run a railroad ! I'm going to say RCBS are not interchangable.
Can you return it for exchange ?

Gary

.22-10-45
09-08-2016, 04:54 PM
Usually they fit..although in an older Lyman 45..and even older Ideal No.1 some Lymans are tight. One thing to consider..the Lyman dies are fitted with an O-ring for seal..as well as the rounded groove for the No.1 & 45 set screw...RCBS dies are not.