PDA

View Full Version : Holsters=what's wrong wioth a S&W 8 3/8 bbl revolver

Ithaca Gunner
09-05-2016, 05:31 PM
Been casually looking around for a leather holster for my 8 3/8" bbl S&W .44 magnum. I didn't think it would be this much of a problem, but holster companies seem reluctant to make a holster for the long S&W's. What I've found so far is a Triple K that'll work either strong side or cross draw and El Paso Saddlery makes either a strong side or a cross draw, but not a combination holster for either or. I know the quality of El Paso Saddlery and can get one of their holsters for just a few bucks more than a Triple K, but it's not a combination strong side/cross draw. So, how's the quality of Triple K holsters? And will El Paso Saddlery make an either/or holster in their #2 thumb break? They list it strong side-cross draw-or neutral, but not strong side/cross draw. I'm thinking I would wear it cross draw most of the time, but like the option of either/or...and I hate a shoulder holster for a big gun.

mark2935
09-09-2016, 09:33 AM
Sir, I am in the same boat. I'm searching for a leather holster for a Colt 1917, left hand with a covered trigger guard. While i can't speak for Triple K or El Paso Saddlery, may I suggest a search of places that deal with old police gear. At one time it was all the rage to carry a med/large frame long barreled revolver for police work. Maybe you could find one that fits your needs or could be semi-custom fitted. That is my plan. Hope it helps.

Mark2935

Dan Cash
09-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Get the cross draw. You won't carry that thing strong side any longer than it takes you to draw it or sit down with it.

Ithaca Gunner
09-09-2016, 12:17 PM
You're right, the gun seems to seek a cross draw holster. Must be those long Smiths aren't as popular as they used to be, seems like holsters were common for them 30-40 years ago, just walk into a gun shop, get one off the rack, pay the man, and out the door. I remember the shop had them in stock when I bought my K-22 8 3/8".

rintinglen
09-09-2016, 01:22 PM
I second the vote for a cross draw. I carry mine in a Bianchi Shoulder Holster. Carrying it on the belt strong side does not make me happy. ​It makes me lean whenever I sit down.177033

nicholst55
09-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Take a look at Simply Rugged: http://www.simplyrugged.com/

Ithaca Gunner
09-09-2016, 04:15 PM
Not bad, I could live with several of their holsters.

W.R.Buchanan
09-10-2016, 03:58 PM
Ithaca Gunner I have my Triple K Holster for my S&W M29 8 3/8 from the late 70's... It needs to be cleaned up and oiled and I would give it to you for the cost of shipping (Flat Rate Box) ???

Randy

Bookworm
09-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Ithaca Gunner I have my Triple K Holster for my S&W M29 8 3/8 from the late 70's... It needs to be cleaned up and oiled and I would give it to you for the cost of shipping (Flat Rate Box) ???

Randy

Randy, if he's not interested, I have a Taurus M44 with the 8 3/8" barrel that would live very nicely in that holster. I would even be willing to pay over postage for your troubles.

Paul

Drm50
09-10-2016, 06:31 PM
I have several long barreled revolvers. I always buy lined holsters. I quit buying strong side holsters several years ago. I have found that some of 3K & Guide brand are not rigid enough to
hold a heavy gun. The one I like best is the Bianchi 111 Cyclone- cross draw. Elpaso is also a good one. The companies make all kinds of CCW holsters for snub nose and a large selection
of western style for S/As, but holsters for field guns are hard to come buy. I would like to see
a 111 type that was hi ride and cross draw. Most of the field holsters for strong side have slight
butt forward cant, that makes them unusable for off side carry.

pietro
09-10-2016, 10:01 PM

FWIW, when I took my 8-3/8" Model 29 hunting, I used a Bianchi cross-chest/bandolier cordua holster, which afforded plenty of comfort.

Leather rigs are available from www.mountainmanleather (http://www.mountainmanleather)works.com

http://www.mountainmanleatherworks.com/images/cart_images/holsters/cross-draw-2-b.jpg

Most holster makers can accommodate/install a flap on their products, upon request.

ironhead7544
09-11-2016, 03:55 PM
I used to use a Lawrence #7 shoulder holster for the long S&W revolvers. A.E. Nelson makes a similar one today.

Check with Andrews Custom Leather for a belt holster. He generally will make whatever you want.

W.R.Buchanan
09-12-2016, 03:49 AM
Here's a couple of pics of that Holster.

Randy

Sur-shot
09-13-2016, 03:27 PM
As I have gotten older I find I have a need for a shoulder strap for a strong side holster. The big guns just snatch my britches off due to noadzatol. :-(
Ed

Ithaca Gunner
09-14-2016, 12:17 PM
I generally wear suspenders these days, a belt only to support a gun.