PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning out an old sizer???

msp2640
06-01-2008, 10:25 AM
I picked up a Saeco sizer with about 10 dies. It has not been used in the better half of 30 years. I have a Lyman that I've used with the heater and like going that route. Any help/ ideas cleaning out the older sticky lube thats currently residing within the Saeco as I have a heater for that as well and want to get it up and running with that type of lube - Thanks Bill

GabbyM
06-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Not familiar with Saeco sizers. I recently bought a used RCBS full of very old lube that had turned black. Disassembled it and removed all the plastic o-rings. Placed it on my bullet shops cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil. Placed in oven at about 135 degrees. Lube ran right out. Wiped the outside down before the lube hardened. Pretty simple.

Kraschenbirn
06-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Morinin' guy...

Topic has been covered rather extensively here in the past. This thread - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26029&highlight=Sizer+Cleaning - should provide most of what you need to know. Otherwise, a search for "sizer cleaning" will provide additional sources.

For the record, I clean my Lyman 450s using an electric heat gun to melt out whatever lube might remain, following by a wiping of everything I can reach...inside and out...with a shop towel soaked in mineral spirits.

Bill

msp2640
06-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the link - realized after I posted, should have been in the regular Casting section - thanks for the advice - Bill

dromia
06-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Hot air gun or hair dryer.

Put the lube sizer bits in something to collect the melted lube for future use as a flux or pot luck lube. :grin:

largecaliberman
06-16-2008, 07:00 PM
I picked up a Saeco sizer with about 10 dies. It has not been used in the better half of 30 years. I have a Lyman that I've used with the heater and like going that route. Any help/ ideas cleaning out the older sticky lube thats currently residing within the Saeco as I have a heater for that as well and want to get it up and running with that type of lube - Thanks Bill

Disassemble as far as you can go and put everything into a turkey fryer, fill it with water then boil. Give it a good boil to get the old lube out.

You may want to replace the rubber seals also. I did this by going to an auto parts store and matched all the "o" rings.

Earl Brasse
07-10-2008, 12:10 AM
It sounds like there are more than one way to skin a cat. I might use some of the above ideas in the winter. I'm in Az & @ 110-114degree temps in the shade. I used direct sunlight in a black pan. Most everything runs out. I wire it so that it will run to the side for later use. I do the same with cosmoline coated items. If you're where it's hot enough, it's the easy way to go.