PDA

View Full Version : Moving to the Midwest!

Blood Trail
09-04-2016, 11:27 PM
I work for Lockheed Martin in Fort Worth, Tx on the Joint Strike Fighter F-35 program. I recently took a promotion as a systems engineer on ship instrumentation and ship propulsion on the littoral combat ship that Lockheed builds in Marinette, WI.

This is a huge opportunity for my family and I. My wife is from Green Bay and we go up there a lot. I'm pretty stoked to finally get to own a little land.

I'll miss Texas. We love it here and I'm certain we'll end up here again. The hunting is great here, but it's good up north. Deer bodies are bigger, but we have better duck hunting and wild boar here. Either way, I'm excited.

Anyone on here from the Wisconsin area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pretzelxx
09-05-2016, 12:07 AM
Grew up in Milwaukee, but I'm currently in Washington state. Miss home but not the city life. Great state to be in!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Traffer
09-05-2016, 01:12 AM
Born and raised in Central Wisconsin. Stevens Point. About 70 Miles west of Green Bay. Hunting deer is exceptional BUT you really really want to be able to hunt private land. The open hunting areas are pretty saturated with hunters. You have not seen hunter saturation like you will see it here. I moved to Boston in 86, then Fl in 03, Now back in WI. It used to be that there were about 600,000 hunters in the nine day gun season. Don't know the stats now...lots of rule changes. There is a BIG marsh south of Green Bay called "Horicon". Waterfoul hunting is par-excellence from what I have heard many times. Also Pheasant hunting Green Bay and south. (North is a bit cold for Pheasants.) Good turkey hunting all over. Also have a spring Turkey season. There is a big growth in black bear. Lots of folks hunting them. (Some monsters around in more remote places) Yes the deer are bigger. We joke that the deer are "jack rabbits" down south. Wisconsin has some differing types of terrain. To the north west of Green Bay is kind of wilderness. Green Bay and south is more farm land with patchwork type woods and some marshes. The fishing is fantastic if you like that. No monster bass like Texas but lots of variety. King Salmon. Trout, trout and more trout. Walleyed Pike, Northern Pike, Muskellunge or "Muskys". They are the closest thing to alligators we have lol. They have been know to attack swimmers. They can get up to 100 lbs, though no one has ever caught one that big on hook and line. I find that shooting ranges are few and far between. I guess many folks just shoot out the back porch. We have pretty good trapping too if you really want to get into the out doors stuff. Unless you are really hooked on hog hunting I would say that Wisconsin is a big step up in the hunting world compared to Texas.

OnHoPr
09-05-2016, 02:40 AM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxUf6ikqEKcMM1sVQ7YvCfDYFHSSX1l HdNxfVFzsJAq7I1wzn8

You may need a bigger boat! "The theme to Jaws is playing"

Your'e gonna need a Cheesehead hat.lol

You should get some decent duck hunting in. The teal and then the woodies after about 3 to 4 weeks of the season will be gone. If it's anything like MI duck hunting will be a mixed bag along the big lake and even the smaller inland ones unless farmland is used. You will probably see massive late season diver duck black clouds in real late season on the big water.

Your'e gonna need to bundle up a bit more, especially late season.

Bluegills, crappie, and perch you might find a little tastier from under the ice.

If you hook into a decent fresh run steelie when the water starts getting up close to spawning you might think differently about a bass.

There is probably more shotgun zones and dizzy laws.

You might start seeing deer tracks close to 6" long.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=175433&thumb=1&d=1472498395

wish I could of got a better pic of his track when I had the phone with me and he's not full grown.

Buy stock in Deet. Did you see that movie "Jumanji", they brought those mosquitoes in from WI. You might need a Glock.

Good Luck.

You just might find Charlie Brown's Great Pumpkin Patch on PL. so on and so on

NavyVet1959
09-05-2016, 03:57 AM
WARNING: Water forms a solid up there.

You'll save on air-conditioning, but you'll spend more money on heating.

Property taxes are about the same from what I gather, but you're probably going to be spending around 6% extra on state income tax.

If you have a Texas CHL, keep it since Texas does not recognize Wisconsin's CHL.

In situations like yours, I would maintain my Texas citizenship and an address and consider Wisconsin as an out-of-state work location.

Hickory
09-05-2016, 05:28 AM
If you have a Texas CHL, keep it since Texas does not recognize Wisconsin's CHL.

In situations like yours, I would maintain my Texas citizenship and an address and consider Wisconsin as an out-of-state work location.

This is a good idea, maintain a Texas address, drivers license, and CCL have all your mail sent to that address, ( post office box is good ) and have someone you can count on to sent it to your wife in WI and you won't have to pay WI income tax.

NavyVet1959
09-05-2016, 05:40 AM
This is a good idea, maintain a Texas address, drivers license, and CCL have all your mail sent to that address, ( post office box is good ) and have someone you can count on to sent it to your wife in WI and you won't have to pay WI income tax.

Keep your Texas bank accounts and update them with your new Texas address before you leave for your "temporary job assignment" in Wisconsin.

Now, if Wisconsin has a homestead exemption, you might have to have the house under your wife's name if she gets a Wisconsin driver's license. It's entirely possible that you could still file for a homestead exemption and not have a Wisconsin driver's license. Each state has different rules on that. I've known a few people over the years who were "residents" of multiple states. If it's a $100K job, then that means that Wisconsin will be wanting around $6K from you each year. If the job doesn't come with at least that much of a raise, then you will be making less money up there than you would be down here.

But remember, you'll not find good BBQ outside of Texas. And Whataburger is not found in Wisconsin and there's very few Popeye's up there either. But, I hear they have *cheese*... And snow...

Hogtamer
09-05-2016, 06:15 AM
Congrats on your promotion BT! Best to you and your family in the transition. And send me any of those shotgun reloading components you don't feal like packing, especially those old Uniwads!

bikerbeans
09-05-2016, 07:56 AM
The pro football is better in WI but they forgot to put a roof on their stadium.:D

BB

Wayne R. Scott
09-05-2016, 10:24 AM
Occasionally you may have to drink a beer to fit in with the locals.

slim1836
09-05-2016, 10:55 AM
GOOD STUFF.

https://leinie.com/

My friend is the tour guide.

Slim

victorfox
09-05-2016, 01:54 PM
I don't want to talk anything about Wisconsin after my cheese head gaffe... :oops::oops::oops:

white eagle
09-05-2016, 03:34 PM
born raised and live hunt fish shoot and play here in Wisco.
roofs on stadiums are for tennis

as far as hunting you can be in near wilderness of hunt in among the crowds
there are alot of National Forest and paper company lands to the North and West that are remote and secluded
black bear are increasing but you need to acquire points for the license so keep applying then you can bait or run dogs your choice
there are less hunters it seems but I own my own property so I don't see the
gr8 pumpkin patches I used to
fishing is excellent and yes the hard h20 fishing is gr8 to
deer are big and depending you can shoot does till your wallet cries give
no restrictions on weapons for hunting deer although some townships are a bit funny
rifle,shotgun,handgun,muzzleloader,bow, crossbow, spear ....

Blood Trail
09-05-2016, 05:06 PM
I married a cheesehead (also a Marine). Been going up there since 2001.

We're huge Packer fans, too. My in laws has the same season tickets that they bought in 1972, so we catch at least one game a year.

Wish Wisconsin has the same problem we do with hogs. Some of my favorite hunting.

I've been putting in my preference points for black bear since 2008. Any day now.....

I'm looking into the po box thing. Y'all boys on to something there. [emoji6]

Blood Trail
09-05-2016, 05:15 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160905/09494af14f99bc4f5efe4ed7fde0b94e.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160905/f507faa00e5be6586a38e290defa3759.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160905/3f38d0c8fb383b0a8a2ec88f1c7e9620.jpg

NavyVet1959
09-05-2016, 05:22 PM
Wish Wisconsin has the same problem we do with hogs. Some of my favorite hunting.

Just import a few and eventually they'll take over... Well, assuming they can survive those winters up there...

I'm looking into the po box thing. Y'all boys on to something there. [emoji6]

There are some commercial enterprises that give you the equivalent of a USPS P.O. Box, but with an actual street address (and possibly suite/apartment number). This is good for when you need to put a real address on something and they don't accept post office boxes. Some government forms are that way.

This sort of thing is used by the RVers quite often.

Another option if you have a friend that you trust here in Texas is have them receive all your mail and send it to you via a USPS flat rate box once per month.

Just remember, you're a Texas resident who just happens to be assigned to Wisconsin temporarily. There's a lot of us who have worked out of state like that, traveling back either every weekend or sometimes just during long weekends. It's the nature of the job market for many of us these days.

bruce drake
09-05-2016, 08:21 PM
Why are the Littoral Ships being tested in the Great Lakes? darn things keep breaking down when they get to sea.

Blood Trail
09-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Why are the Littoral Ships being tested in the Great Lakes? darn things keep breaking down when they get to sea.

That's why the hired me. [emoji6]

perotter
09-05-2016, 08:57 PM
Congratulations on the promotion and the move. Now you'll be able to get good cheese and sausage. Plus now you can get a snowmobile and an ice shack. Hopefully you'll get to go wolf hunting.

A little tip for getting access to deer hunting on private property. Ask a farmer if you can turkey and/or coyote hunt on their farm, as they would just as soon see them all killed they are more likely to let you hunt for them. If you make a good impression, they may let you deer hunt there also.

ps

On occasion there are feral hogs that can be hunted. They can only survive very mild winters and die out when there is a real winter. A few years ago there was a bunch in the Eau Claire county forest(about 150 miles from you). The DNR etc wanted them all shoot out, but they don't make broadcast that widely. You'll have to keep an ear to the ground to find out about it.

bruce drake
09-05-2016, 09:08 PM
When something needs to be fixed, send in the Marines! ;)

Semper Fi

Bruce

Finster101
09-05-2016, 09:13 PM

Some minor thing like a treaty or something. A good idea though, much more cost effective and not nearly as corrosive as that nasty salt water. :bigsmyl2:

NavyVet1959
09-05-2016, 10:44 PM

That way if they sink, they are in shallow enough water to recover 'em. :)

The real answer though is politics...

michael.birdsley
09-06-2016, 12:09 AM
That way if they sink, they are in shallow enough water to recover 'em. :)

The real answer though is politics...

Lake Michigan is 1200 feet at its deepest point

bruce drake
09-06-2016, 12:32 AM
A lot less than the average depth (11000ft) of the Atlantic once you clear the continental shelf.

NavyVet1959
09-06-2016, 12:35 AM
Lake Michigan is 1200 feet at its deepest point

And that is still shallower than the seas. The Gulf of Mexico's *average* depth is over 4 times that and max depth is over 14,000 ft deep. The *average* depth of the Atlantic is about 11,000 ft deep.

So, compared to that, Lake Michigan is a shallow body of water where recovery would be comparatively easy. According to wiki, Lake Michigan's max depth is 923 ft and average is 279 ft.

Not that they would probably recover something at the max depth of Lake Michigan, but rather they would just send submersibles down to it to find out what went wrong and then build a new ship. It's not like the government is spending *its* money, it's spending *our* money, so, as far as *they* are concerned, it doesn't count.

OnHoPr
09-06-2016, 12:37 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160905/f507faa00e5be6586a38e290defa3759.jpg

You sure he's a half back or corner back? That look gives the impression of a nose guard or linebacker.lol Looks like he is ready to wrestle the Chicago Bears.

bruce drake
09-06-2016, 08:32 AM
https://www.navytimes.com/articles/navy-orders-big-lcs-changes-after-engineering-problems?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Military%20EBB%209-6-16&utm_term=Editorial%20-%20Military%20-%20Early%20Bird%20Brief

In this morning's Early Bird Briefing.

Looks like the Navy is going into a stand-down and a retraining of all its LCS crew on how to maintain their engineering spaces...They must realize a Marine is on the job now to square them away!

Blood Trail
09-06-2016, 02:46 PM
https://www.navytimes.com/articles/navy-orders-big-lcs-changes-after-engineering-problems?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Military%20EBB%209-6-16&utm_term=Editorial%20-%20Military%20-%20Early%20Bird%20Brief

In this morning's Early Bird Briefing.

Looks like the Navy is going into a stand-down and a retraining of all its LCS crew on how to maintain their engineering spaces...They must realize a Marine is on the job now to square them away!

[emoji1474][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

bruce drake
09-06-2016, 03:07 PM
You sure he's a half back or corner back? That look gives the impression of a nose guard or linebacker.lol Looks like he is ready to wrestle the Chicago Bears.
No leg pads...definitely a secondary ;)

PerpetualStudent
09-06-2016, 04:58 PM
I'm still new to WI but it's a great state. I live in the Green Lake, Berlin, Ripon area.

The wife loves the cheese, I'm fond of the sausages and beer. They would not shut up about New Glaurus Spotted Cow- I thought there was no way it would live up to the hype but darn it if it isn't my favorite beer now.

January heating bill is going to hurt. We'll hit -20 again, I guarantee it. Can't speak to the hunting yet, just signing up for hunter's safety and hope to go for the first time (ever) in the fall. The private land, at least here, is highly competitive and some counties restrict you to shotguns for public land but there is a decent amount of public land to hunt. Of course the deer are such a problem that in Green Lake Co you're allowed to bait during the seasons...Despite this there are still so many of them that they jack up your car insurance.

Blood Trail
09-07-2016, 06:39 AM
Change of plans, I may back out of the offer. They keep jerking me around with the relocation assistance. [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

Blood Trail
09-07-2016, 01:31 PM
Done deal. I ain't a'comin'. They expect me to move a family of 4 with a 3,000 Sq-FT house and all that comes with it, with two cars 1500 miles for $3,800 to cover my expenses. No thanks. Although I was looking forward to new change, I can't front $8,000 of my own money to relocate.

Good luck finding someone as willing to moved to northern Wisconsin like I was. [emoji6]

NavyVet1959
09-07-2016, 03:37 PM
Done deal. I ain't a'comin'. They expect me to move a family of 4 with a 3,000 Sq-FT house and all that comes with it, with two cars 1500 miles for $3,800 to cover my expenses. No thanks. Although I was looking forward to new change, I can't front $8,000 of my own money to relocate.

Good luck finding someone as willing to moved to northern Wisconsin like I was. [emoji6]

I've made the mistake of hiring the large moving companies before and my experience is that you are just paying someone a large amount of money to damage your stuff. You might as well save your money and get to damage it yourself. :)

If I ever need to move a large distance like that again, I think I'll just have one of the 40-ft shipping containers delivered to my house and fill it at my leisure and then have them ship the container to my new location.

If you are going to be in a rural location in WI, then having a 40-ft shipping container as a workshop / reloading shack might be useful. If so, then buy the shipping container here in Houston for around $2K, fill it with your stuff, have a truck deliver it to your new house, and then convert it to your workshop / reloading shack when you get through. You're probably looking at around 1000 miles for this move, so it's a 2-day drive. If you can fit everything in a 24-ft moving truck from Ryder / Budget, that's probably around a $1K rental.

In my opinion, it seems to work out best if you have already bought a place at your new location before you do the move. I've done it where that was not the case and was living in an apartment while looking for a new place and having my stuff stored while I was searching and it definitely sucked and ended up costing more.

Hogtamer
09-07-2016, 08:10 PM
The pigs there will be sorry to hear this latest news BT!

Traffer
09-08-2016, 01:28 AM
Abf used to have a deal where you could rent space on a semi trailer. They would park it in front of your place and let you fill it for what ever time they had to let it sit. Then they would haul it down to your new place and you could unload it. Had friends rent half of a semi trailer like that for ridiculously cheap, Like under $2000. But that was about 14 years ago. Don't know if they are even still in business. I remember the name because we joked that it meant All Broken Freight.

chambers
09-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Not sure if you were trying to stay in Green Bay and commute or live in Marinette. Good walleye fishing on the bay of Green bay. Hunting waterfowl on bay in late October/early November has lots of shooting. Deer hunting in Northern part of state is down due to winter kill and wolf/bears. Bear hunting is up. IF you like hunting do bow hunting, less people, more deer. 9 Day gun season first two days then things taper off. Private land can be a challenge, make friends and they will let you hunt. Best time of year is fall Sept./Oct./November lots of hunting opportunities.

shunka
09-10-2016, 01:37 AM
I *was* going to post a long bit on new things to enjoy... but...

Lockheed wants to do it on the cheap, I guess. Honeywell spent over $15k for moving expenses to get me to Minneapolis in 1979, and Sperry covered $25k in moving expenses to send me to Colorado. Looks like they are
a) looking for a local
b) looking for a "cheap new grad"
c) trying to justify a cheap h1b.

look at the bright side, the winters are *worse* than they showed on the Series (and movie) Fargo, and you never see sunlight most of the winter.

yhs
shunka

A pause for the COZ
09-10-2016, 01:58 AM

Good for you!! You dont want dat der cheeze any ways... just kidding.

I bet unless they find some young single dude to go. They will be back with a better offer on the moving expenses. Them bean counters lie some times.