PDA

View Full Version : success Thanks to everyone here

tanstafl10
06-01-2008, 09:23 AM
just wanted everyone to know (although you probably already do) that this Board is a big help!

I have been around for a couple years mostly lurking. I try to soak up knowledge on all the topics that I can. Most attention is spent going over items dealing with active projects of mine, but I do read a lot of things and just file the info away for "future use". Well, the future arrived this Memorial Day. Our Annual Shoot 'N Cook Out.

My youngest son's significant other brought a rifle that she was just gifted by her step father. She knew I would be interested because it was a lever action! She fell in love with a M-94 Limited Ed in 45 Colt that I have. Always loves to shoot it when she comes over. So, she was anxious to share here new acquisition this year.

It is a 32 WCF Model 92 made in (from what I get using a little research) 1894. Man!, was I ever happy for her. The two of us could not wait to shoot it. We inspected it and scrubbed the bore and inspected the bore.... a little rough I think, and then went out to get some ammo. One of the dwindling calibers for which I have no dies or brass...BUT I do have a couple 32 moulds!!! And I was able to piece a few different dies together to load for the 32-20 thanks to threads I read here.

Imagine our disappointment when we got to the range and had trouble hitting the 50 yard backstop. Some were bouncing into the backstop at 40 yards. It did not matter what sight picture or sight adjustment we tried. Luckily we noticed the key-holing on some big cardboard pieces we managed to hit. It was this moment that I saw the light of Cast Boolit! Undersized boolits will keyhole I read in one of the threads. I figured the R-P lead bullets were sized .312 at best. Recovered bullets shwed very little signs of engraving in grooves. I was in a panic, the barrel is shot out, the rifle no good. It would ruin the value of the rifle if we re-barreled it.

After the initial panic, I gathered my thoughts and no $h!t, I said to myself, "Self, what would the guys on Cast Boolit do?" "Well,"I answered myself "they would just reach up on the shelf and start casting the correct size Boolit to do the job."

It was now a challenge to keep this piece of history shooting for Sara, a member of the next generation of shooters. Guns are of little use if they cannot be shot. My job was clear, slug the bore and find out what diameter Boolit was needed to allow this prize to please yet one more generation.

I drove a .312 soft lead bullet through the barrel and was not too surprised to see very little in the way of rifling engraved on it. I pulled some as cast ACWW 32 's from an RCBS mould and ran them through a .314 sizer to lube them. The .314 barely touched them so I figured the max was .313. Was worth a try.

Results the next day showed improvement, but not enough. Recovered Boolit only showed light rifling marks. Here again is where this site came to the rescue. Somewhere.. cannot remember where..(thank you to whoever it was), I read that linotype will cast a larger diameter compared to WW out of the same mould.

Off I went to the barn to cast a handful of the 32's with linotype and sure enough those boolits did size with the .314 sizer. Loaded a couple of test loads and off to the range. IT WORKED.. what a great feeling of accomplishment! An old rifle resurrected for a younger generation to carry on... Charlie Mike at its best.

The attached target was shot at 50 yards from the bench. It was the first group shot through a clean barrel. Also, my eyes are not the best and open sights are a challenge to me. Top to bottom is 1 1/8 inch and the top two are 3/8 ".

This same session I drifted the sights to bring them to point of aim. I did not want to move them until I had THE load for the rifle. After this target I tried standing 50 yards on some 6 X 9 " steel plates and the rifle did very well when I did my part. The steel plates are what we shoot most, so that was my goal. I think Sara will be tickled with these results and Mark, Sara and I now have a memory that will live on after I am gone. Can't beat that with a stick, as they say.

To all of you who helped me accomplish this... I THANK YOU! I have been shooting and reloading since 1977, but could not have done this without the input of this site. I mostly lurk here, cannot seem to contribute much, but I am trying to use what I learn and pass it forward.

Way to go guys!

Jon K
06-01-2008, 10:55 AM
tanstafl10,

Are you casting pure linotype? You don't need to, in order to cast the boolit larger, just mix about 10-12% linotype to ww, and cast around 775*-800*, and it'll drop out like you want.
Straight Lynotype may be a bit harder than you want to run thru that barrel.

All in all, sounds like you've found a treasure, and got family interested in your hobby........ another treasure.

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

runfiverun
06-02-2008, 01:29 AM
look up beagling and save the lino.....
flue tape between the mold halves stuck to one side

JSH
06-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Dunno what kind of load you are using. But I would agree with the aluminum tape, ala Beagle. Go to a soft alloy and groups may shrink even more.
I cast a couple of hundred dead soft for a friend done on a similar project as yours. It was an old BP round as well and had very little visible rifling left. The softer alloy and light loads made it a pretty darn good shooter.
Jeff

tanstafl10
06-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Jon K
Yes it is pure at this point, will have to try your suggestion w/ 10 - 12 % and temp control. But you got my overall point... I would have cast it in pure silver to get that rifle to shoot and not disappoint that young lady!! She was so proud to show me that rifle, I just had to get it to shoot.

Now that I have, I can take my time to finesse a better solution.

Runfiverun

beagling had crossed my mind, but as I indicated above, I needed to get results quickly before the idea that the gun was no good became fixed in this young lady's mind.

Plans are to research the beagling technique and give it a try. So, you guys are helping even more... thanks again. I just happen to have some flu tape on hand.

JSH

Hard to see on the target pictured, but 4.0 gr Unique is what I used.

Several days ago, I tried 4.3 gr Unique and the group really opened up. Also, tried 7.3 gr Li'l Gun with poor results. Yesterday I shot the 4.0 gr Unique load again. Got the same type of group at the beginning of the session and again with the last three rounds I shot. In between, I was taking steel plates from a standing position at 50 yards when I did my part. The only thing I found is that the 32 20 does not knock them down with the same authority as the 45 Colt!! (LOL)

I feel this load is giving consistent results and need to chronograph the 4.0 gr Unique load before returning the rifle. I am interested in the velocity because the R_P factory loads sound like squib loads compared to my handloads. The 4.0 gr Unique is near the starting load that I found in a number of manuals when I was researching. My goal was the lightest load possible to get the rifle to shoot.

Bottom line---- It now shoots pretty well and we have a project that we can work on in the future. It doesn't get any better than that. For that, I thank all of you.

Dale53
06-03-2008, 09:34 AM
I use 4.0 grs of Unique with my 25/20 (257420 Lyman bullet) with excellent results on edible small game (mostly squirrel with the occasional bunny wabbit:mrgreen:).

Your 32/20 should also make a fine squirrel rifle with that Unique load.

You should feel good about yourself - putting an old rifle back into use is a noble activity! Doing it for someone you care about just adds icing to the cake.

Dale53

Buckshot
06-04-2008, 03:20 AM
.............Oh no (groan), now we all have to live up to tanstafl10's expectations :-) Great job you did, and I suspect you're probably the girls hero now!

................Buckshot

tanstafl10
06-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Hell Buckshot, I was just trying to emulate you!! [smilie=1:

I make way too many mistakes to be anyones hero.

Ya gotta love this site:-D

FromTheWoods
06-06-2008, 06:57 PM
My youngest son's first rifle beyond a .22 was/is his '73 .32-20.

Just as with the Significant One's rifle, those .312 bullets tumbled horribly.

We haven't the equipment yet to play with casting, so we found the 115g FP .313 Laser-Cast bullet. Add BPI Original Shot Buffer above three grains of Titegroup--the accuracy of this load is excellent.

You are a good man to work so hard toward enhancing the joy in that young woman's heart.