PDA

View Full Version : Score!!

Kraschenbirn
09-04-2016, 08:29 PM
At the range this morning another long-time member and asked if I might be interested in some "old reloading stuff", explaining that his next door neighbor (a non-shooter) had cleaned out his basement and found a couple boxes of his father's reloading gear. I walked over and took a look in the back of his Bronco; inside were two cardboard boxes containing: a Herter's #3 press with 2 shellholders and both large and small primer arms, a Lyman 45 sizer with a .44 die set installed, a Redding micrometer powder measure (with stand), a small Redding powder scale, a set of Lyman mold handles with an SC 429421 mold, two Lyman ladles, two sets of CH reloading dies, a couple of powder tricklers and funnels, a couple of old NRA books (reprints) and an assortment of cleaning rods (including 2 antique wood shotgun rods with brass ferrules) and cleaning brushes/tips. "How much?" I asked and he says the neighbor was asking $50 for the lot. Needless to say, I didn't have to think too long before I reached for my wallet.

Back at my workshop, I cleaned off a whole lot of accumulated dust; the orange paint on the Lyman 45 is 95% (or better) and I found the original instruction book in the bottom of one of the boxes; outside of a spot of surface rust or two on the ram the Herter's press is, easily, in as good condition as my Rockchucker, and the rest appears to have been well cared for. Just for an idea of how long ago those boxes were stored away, tucked inside one of the NRA reprints, I found a Browning catalogue booklet that listed MSRP for a new High-Power at $89.50.

Bill

TXGunNut
09-04-2016, 10:21 PM
Nice score, someone at Heaven's range is likely glad someone is finally finding a use for his old tools.

Bzcraig
09-04-2016, 11:28 PM
Score, is an under statement!

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-04-2016, 11:40 PM
yes, nice score indeed...I wonder where the 44 gun went ?

Kraschenbirn
09-05-2016, 07:51 PM
Got it all sorted and cleaned this afternoon. Here's the lot after culling out the non-related junk and trash.

4719dave
09-05-2016, 08:15 PM
hope you can sleep tonight lol

Mk42gunner
09-06-2016, 12:06 AM
Everything looks useable to me. Sounds like $50 well spent.

I would not use the jointed wooden shotgun cleaning rods, I have had a bad experience with a one piece wooden rod.

Robert

retread
09-06-2016, 12:11 AM
Nice, very nice.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-06-2016, 12:20 AM
Everything looks useable to me. Sounds like $50 well spent.

I would not use the jointed wooden shotgun cleaning rods, I have had a bad experience with a one piece wooden rod.

Robert
I have a couple sets of wooden cleaning rods, same as photo with brass threaded ferrules. They shoot just fine :razz: :shock: :mrgreen:

LeadHead72
09-18-2016, 04:13 PM
Wow, nice haul!

Smoke4320
09-18-2016, 04:45 PM
I have a couple sets of wooden cleaning rods, same as photo with brass threaded ferrules. They shoot just fine :razz: :shock: :mrgreen:

RifleBow ..?