PDA

View Full Version : Two New 1911's 35 years later

Boomer Mikey
06-01-2008, 06:35 AM
I went to our local fairgrounds gun show Saturday with my CAS shooting buddy Dick; I haven't been to a gun show for several years. A new gun shop opened in town about a month ago and it's cost me plenty... I heard a rumor about the SASS hosting a "Wild Bunch" side match at the End of Trail National Championships this year, one thing led to another so... I decided I needed a 1911 as the recent response by CAS shooters to Wild Bunch events has been nothing short of phenomenal and it appears to me that the trend will continue. One of our local CAS groups held a Wild Bunch side match a year or two ago and I didn't want to buy a 1911 just for a single event. I was planning to get a basic GI issue pistol but when I saw a Stainless Colt in the case... and, hours later after fondling every 1911 in the store, I decided to get the Stainless SW1911. My ten days were up on Friday and going to pick it up was a good excuse to go to the show with my buddy.

I haven't owned a 1911 for over 35 years. My first gun was a Colt 1911 that I purchased new in the early 1970's while I was in the Navy. We were short on money when I was transfered to another duty station and had to sell the Colt. That Colt was purchased from a shipyard worker that sold guns on the side out of his garage and we've been shooting buddies for almost 40 years. J.D. and I have been to Silhouette matches all over the state and our country. Our children grew up going to matches at least twice a month for over 15 years.

Well, back to the 1911's... yes, two!! There are two classes of guns for Wild Bunch events, Traditional and Modern. The SW1911 comes fully loaded with all the fancy trick work done for you from the factory --- a Modern class pistol --- Back to the gun store... back to that basic GI model - Rock Island?- Essex?- Norenco?- an original GI?... how far can I go, and still have a Traditional class pistol? Springfield Armory 1911 Mil-Spec with the parkerized finish.

I served in the Navy for 10 years... 1967 - 1977, much of that time was in the Gulf of Tonkin aboard the USS Chicago and the USS Midway; I joined the pistol team on the Midway and spent many hours shooting a 1911 for recreation in the Philippines. It's time to spend some time shooting a 1911 for recreation at home.

Boomer :Fire:

P.S.

I found a new H&G #68 Mold in an old RCBS 45 SWC cardboard mold box for $40, a Lyman 452460 200 grain SWC mold with handles for $30.00, and 750 once fired WW 45 ACP cases for $45.00 at the show to go with the 500 once fired cases our new gun shop owner gave me... life is good!

Sig shooter
06-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Nice Post , isn't the midway parked in san diego as a museum . Tons of history on that ship when you read where its been . Sounds like you got some great buys .

Swamprat1052
06-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Nice, and you sure stole that H&G mold. I have been looking for one myself.

My 10 days is up on the Kimber I bought on Tuesday. I am sure getting antsy.

NIce pistols, enjoy them.

Swamprat

Boomer Mikey
06-02-2008, 04:29 AM
The Kimber is very well made and they stand behind them with excellent customer service. I was planning to get a Colt but after reading the reviews and looking at them carefully, I decided in favor of the Smith and Wesson. I was surprised to find that all of the 1911's I looked at are made better than ever.

I saw a used Ruger Blackhawk 41 Magnum at the show yesterday with no visible wear; not a single scratch, it had a very reasonable price on it and after thinking about it I went back to the show Sunday to see if it was still there and purchased it for an even better price than I expected.

Maybe I should stay away from the gun shows, I saw some new M1A's...

Have fun,

Boomer :Fire:

quack1
06-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Nice looking 1911. I had a chance to buy two GI 1911's with several hundred rounds of GI ammo about 20 years ago. Shot up all the ammo then sold the guns. I have smaller than normal hands for my size and 1911's are just physically too big of a gun for me to grip with any accuracy. My thumb wouldn't even come close to the slide release lever. Too bad, they were nice guns.

I see you were on the USS Chicago-my dad and uncle were plank owners on that ship, from shakedown to the end of the war. (and they are both still living)