PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt BP lube

El Oso
10-28-2005, 08:32 AM
I was looking for some tips, I'm casting a 255gr. rnfp from a LEE mold to use
in C.A.S. I'm trying to work up a BP load with my 50/50lube with olive oil and
bees wax but about 10 shots is all I can get before cleaning the bbl. I think
LEE's lube grooves may be a little small but I was hoping some one would maybe have a better lube
watch you six
El Oso

SharpsShooter
10-28-2005, 09:23 AM
SPG is a good commercial lube for BP. I've been using Junior1942's recipe lately in my 75 Sharps with good results. You might give it a try. His web address is available here on the board.

utk
10-28-2005, 09:37 AM
This is a BPCR lube for a .50 caliber (12,17x44R) Swedish Remington rifle. Haven't tried it myself, found it on a forum:

5 parts beeswax
3 parts coconut butter/oil
2 parts canola oil (food type)
1 part lanolin

Urban

felix
10-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Urban, that looks like a good one. ... felix

KCSO
10-28-2005, 05:18 PM
For the 45 Colt you need a bullet with wide depp grease grooves. The Lee bullet was designed for smokless and just don't cut it with black. Even with a waxed felt wad I am hard pressed to get more than 15 shots from this bullet design. By contrast a Saeco 230 with deep grooves will go over 30 shots without losing accuracy.

leverfan
10-30-2005, 05:37 PM
You might have to try using lube cookies beneath the bullet. Sandwich a thin layer of lube between circles of wax paper or milk carton. That's what I used to do for bullets that didn't carry enough lube for black powder shooting, especially in rifles.

A better option, and one that's more effective than switching lube brands, is switching bullets. I'm a big fan of the "big lube" bullets peddled by Dick Dastardly for cowboy action shooters. I'm using the Mav Dutchman for my 44s, and it carries plenty of lube, even for my 24" rifle barrel. I've never noticed any loss of accuracy during a match, or any binding in my revolvers. My load is 32 grains of Goex fffg in Starline 44 mag brass, Winchester LP primer, and a 200 grain Mav Dutchman lubed with a mix of beeswax and crisco.

If you switched to the Pigeon Roost Slim bullet for your .45s, or if you started using Lyman's .454" Maxi Ball mould, either one carries plenty of lube. Some guys alter the meplat of the Lyman mould for use in tube magazine rifles. There are a couple of guys selling PRS bullets on ebay for very reasonable prices, if you wanted to try some before buying a mould.