PDA

View Full Version : S&W Shield 9mm impulse buy

rtracy2001
09-04-2016, 06:11 PM
In the past, I haven't been a big handgun shooter. I own a few, and keep myself proficient enough to use them if the need should arise, but I have never found the same satisfaction in shooting a handgun that I do with a rifle (probably because I have never had the same success).

My oldest daughter decided that she wanted a Shield 9mm for her birthday this year. (She did the research and picked it out herself as I had little interest in another handgun) The local Sportsman's warehouse was having a sale on them, so I figured I would get her one. In the course of the transaction I made the mistake of holding one. It really did fit my hand like no other handgun I have ever held. To make sure I had the salesman show me an LC9. Yup, the Shield was much nicer (and I've always been a Ruger fan too!). It felt so nice, I had him throw a second one on the form. (yeah, SWMBO was not pleased, but you can't return firearms)

We went to the range Friday night to try them out. My daughter was frustrated because she was all over the target. I was shocked because I was getting 1" groups. It was like the gun was a part of me. I went on to shoot every round of 9mm that I had and wanted to shoot more.

I was able to help my daughter get down to 4" groups, but I don't know enough to really help her. I will have to shanghai a buddy of mine that shoots pistols to help her.

Looking at ammo prices, it looks like reloading with J-words won't save me anything, so I may have to start casing for this one. I haven't heard anything about how the Shields handle cast. What is the good, the bad, and the ugly for these things?

osteodoc08
09-04-2016, 06:26 PM
I have a PC shield and love it. Can't wait for the 45 to come out.

The shields have traditional rifling and can handle cast just fine.

Texas by God
09-04-2016, 06:27 PM
rtracy- I too bought the 9mm Shield and shot factory fmj(brass&sreel case), defense ammo, and 125 LRN reloads-all very accurate. My wife liked it so much she confiscated it for her daily gun. SO I went out and bought the .40 version for myself! Most excellent pistols- and S&W is selling a TON of them!

rtracy2001
09-04-2016, 06:51 PM
Most excellent pistols- and S&W is selling a TON of them!

I was completely surprised that a pistol selling new for less than $350 (on sale) shot so well.

osteodoc08,

Thanks for the info on the rifling, good to here.

bedbugbilly
09-04-2016, 09:42 PM
I'm more of a revolver guy - mainly SAA. The only real semi 9mm I had was a Ruger SR9. I CCW a revolver most of the time but I wanted something in 9mm with a little more capacity than my J frame so after looking at a lot of different smaller 9s, I settled on a Shield. I've never regretted it. It fits well in the hand, carries well and shoots well. All mine gets is cast. I've used 120ish grain boolits - I've used Lees TC and shoot a lot of Lyman 353-252 RN as well over 3.7 gr of Bulls Eye. My Shield cycles well at that load and shoots well too.

I think they are a great hand gun and am even thinking of getting one in 45ACP. Tell your daughter not to get frustrated with it. With practice, she'll close her groups up. I started at ground zero - shooting at something like three yards and then once I had the sight picture down at that range, moved back a yard and started over - kept doing it until I got out to 7 yards which is a good SD range - anything beyond that discretion kicks in and escape takes over. :-) If she sticks with it, she'll do just fine. Once she gets center mass down, then scan hone in on smaller groups and it sounds like she already could handle center mass.

When I want to shoot a 9mm, I now pick up the Shield and my SR9 stays at home. In fact, I think it is going to the LGS soon for trading stock. Congrats to both of you on your new Shields and enjoy! You done good!

telebasher
09-06-2016, 10:32 PM
FYI, they are making the M&P 22 Compact in 22 rimfire. It appears to be virtually identical to the Shield sizewise. All the reviews are very favorable. It has 3 dot sights and eats every thing you feed it. I believe I need one in my collection. LOL !

Joni Lynn
09-06-2016, 10:54 PM
To help your daughter improve, practice dry firing. She needs to be able to hold sights on target and squeeze the trigger to the point of firing without the gun moving off target. After firing practice what might be called follow through. Also learn the trigger, how much it takes to get to just before the sear drop. They're easy to shoot but some have difficulty due to yanking the trigger a bit. Best wishes.

35remington
09-06-2016, 11:24 PM
As I see it, more of a smart move than an impulse buy. Good gun especially for the money. Got a 40 Shield myself.

After I roll my eyes over discussions about how "uncontrollable" a Shield in 40 is I offer to demonstrate a fast mag dump at 25 feet, then turn around and ask witnesses whether it seemed like I couldn't control the piece and put closely clustered rounds on target in rapid fire.

I mean.....sheeesh, it's a 40, not a 25 ounce scandium framed 44 magnum. You'd think everyone's chest hair permanently fell off or something.

rtracy2001
09-06-2016, 11:47 PM
To help your daughter improve, practice dry firing. She needs to be able to hold sights on target and squeeze the trigger to the point of firing without the gun moving off target. After firing practice what might be called follow through. Also learn the trigger, how much it takes to get to just before the sear drop. They're easy to shoot but some have difficulty due to yanking the trigger a bit. Best wishes.

Would I be best served by investing in some snap caps/dummy rounds for that drill? It has been beat into me by my elders that dry firing any weapon is a no-no.

35remington,
I agree. Having shot the 9mm Shield and my full-size 40, I can't see where the 40 Shield would be too much to handle. The 45 shield? Well I would have to shoot one before I put money down. The videos seem to show a bit more recoil than would be comfortable for all day shooting. (Then again, a personal defense/concealed carry gun isn't meant to be shot all day long.)

pretzelxx
09-07-2016, 12:33 AM
I feel like the trigger needs to be fixed. It feels like a Chinese wobbly piece of junk. However... It hasn't broken yet! Love the feel in my hand with the wife's extended mag. Great little shooter what little bit ive actually shot it

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

robertbank
09-07-2016, 08:04 PM
I feel like the trigger needs to be fixed. It feels like a Chinese wobbly piece of junk. However... It hasn't broken yet! Love the feel in my hand with the wife's extended mag. Great little shooter what little bit ive actually shot it

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

The trigger can become VG to EX if you install Apex parts. Just changing the FPB will improve the feel of the trigger. It maybe all you want to do with a carry gun. Brownells has the part and it is an easy install. Replacing the trigger return spring will lighten the pull as well. Not real light but lighter than stock.

Take Care

Bob

35remington
09-07-2016, 08:45 PM
Feels like a piece of junk? Yeah, it's not wonderful but seriously, I have noticed that plastic pistols have inferior pulls stock from the factory. Not all but I think many if not most especially the smaller guns. The full size M and P I have is okay to fairly decent.

This "meh" includes many brands. To shoot these well put your 1911's away for awhile and get used to the mush, pull, drag and sponginess. If you can't live with it replace it, but don't be under the impression you'll do better in a lot of the other compacts which tend to have **** trigger pulls collectively.

If somehow they all approximated 5 lbs or so and were cleaner and less spongy we wouldn't have much to complain about, but they don't.

Houndog
09-11-2016, 08:32 AM
Bite the boolet and put an Apex trigger kit in it! I put an Apex kit in every M&P pistol I buy and it makes a good gun even better. ( I currently own 5) The trigger pull on my Shield went from 7 plus pounds to a manageable 4 1/2 with noticeably less takeup.

Lefty Red
09-18-2016, 09:20 AM
I liked my Shield, it had no problem with cast either. But I could never get it to group. Nor could a few other shooters. I sold it and replaced it with a XDS. It's a one holer. Heavier, yes but the best single stack in 40SW I think.

Hope yours works for you. I know several people that use it for their CCW and are very accurate with it.

Lefty

The Governor
09-18-2016, 09:50 AM
As I see it, more of a smart move than an impulse buy. Good gun especially for the money. Got a 40 Shield myself.

After I roll my eyes over discussions about how "uncontrollable" a Shield in 40 is I offer to demonstrate a fast mag dump at 25 feet, then turn around and ask witnesses whether it seemed like I couldn't control the piece and put closely clustered rounds on target in rapid fire.

I mean.....sheeesh, it's a 40, not a 25 ounce scandium framed 44 magnum. You'd think everyone's chest hair permanently fell off or something.
Amen Brother. It's a self defense fire arm, not a fufu coffee with extra foam or a video game controller.

robertbank
09-18-2016, 10:51 AM
The M&P's trigger improves a lot by installing just the Apex striker block and a lighter trigger return spring. For anyone tight on cash just those two items that cost less than $30 total are well worth it. I went with the Competition kit on my 9MM 5" Pro for obvious reasons and the Apex FFS trigger with my 40 Pro. The latter for IPSC Standard Division.

The spongy feeling comes from the FPB being pushed up and out of the way to allow the striker access to the primer. Apex rounds the striker block more like a dome for those who have not seen or installed one. Makes a good pistol gooder. :>)

Take Care

Bob

BossMaverick
09-18-2016, 02:08 PM
I use powder coated bullets in a shield and they work just as well as jacketed. I'd have your daughter do dry firing, and shooting some .22 from a pistol to get her groups back down and to rebuild her confidence. You could then move her on to light 9mm rounds before going back to normal 9mm loads. Be sure to throw some dummy rounds in each mag throughout the process so she can see if she is flinching.

Texas by God
09-21-2016, 03:34 PM
A .40 Shield hard to control? Maybe if they made it in 10mm... Best, Thomas.