PDA

View Full Version : Some Testing

idahoron
09-04-2016, 02:32 PM
I bought some Platinum line nipples. The first two times I took them out I got wicked hang fires with them. So I decided to see if there was a difference in hole size. In fact the holes in the Platinum lined nipples from Buffalo arms here in Idaho are almost 1/2 the size or less than that of a factory Hot shot nipple. I made the decision to drill the hole to match a new in box Hot Shot nipple. So today I took my 45 out to test it. And I tested a new target.

I have several targets that are a rectangle shape, weight and hardness are different.
I wanted one that was a little different. This one is mild steel but it is a piece that was cut out of a steel pipe. So this one is dished. I was thinking that the bullets would "slip" off the steel easier. My 45 uses harder lead. They run about 8 to 8.5 hard. They are paper patched and sized.
This target is 14" tall, and 10" wide. My thought was I wanted the target to be the size of the lungs on a deer.

I shot at 100 150 and 200 yards with my shooting sticks.

Opening the nipple up to the hot shot size hole was a big improvement. No hang fire and the accuracy was good. I didn't test over a bench but I was happy with how it shot. I am curious why they elected to put such a small hole in the nipple. I also wonder if anyone else has had problems with the nipples from Buffalo Arms?

The target was beat pretty hard with the hardened bullets. The shape of the target didn't help. Those bullets hit with a LOT of energy are just destructive.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/ML%20target%201_zpskes53rlc.jpg

johnson1942
09-04-2016, 05:44 PM
thanks for the post, glad to see some one is getting ready for a hunt and posting it. my son has seen a lot of good mule deer buck while bow hunting. he is waiting for the wall hanger as the season is 4 months long. maybe some of those bucks will make it to dec for muzzleloader season. as always, your guns are ready.

idahoron
09-04-2016, 07:22 PM
A new nipple installed in green mountain barrel that came from the factory NEVER shot .034
New Hot Shot nipple Uncle Mikes package, .034
New Hot shot Nipple Thompson Center Package, .034
New Hot Shot nipple Track of the wolf package, .026

I have never shot anything but Hot Shots from TC. That is what the local Sportsmans warehouse used to stock. For about the last three years they have not carried them. I went online to get more and picked up some here and there. Then I decided to order from track of the wolf.
I wish I would have measured the actual hole that was in the Buffalo arms platinum lined nipple.

I am being told that the Buffalo arms is at .026 I drilled the new platinum lined nipples out to .034 same as Hot Shot TC.

I have been using Pyrodex P for a very long time around 10 + years. The TC hot Shots have always went bang every time no issues. From what I am seeing I have been using a nipple hole size of .034 with the pyrodex P. Maybe the P won't work with the .026 Interesting seeing those numbers.

johnson1942
09-04-2016, 10:06 PM
ron, i gave up on regular nipples years ago. i use magspark nipples and the gun always goes off. i can see useing regular nipples if primers are easy to get but shot shell primers are very easy to get, i just got in the groove of useing them and most likely will keep doing so. some think its a very non traditional thing to do but in reality shot gun primer nipples were around in one form or another ever since the shotgun shell was invented. i always enjoy reading what ever you post and keep posting.

idahoron
09-05-2016, 12:20 AM
Here in Idaho we can't use anything but caps.

OnHoPr
09-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Well, as long as you get good ignition and you keep shooting and practicing like you do I will be waiting for the up and coming successful hunting stories from you with your boy, (young man).

fgd135
09-05-2016, 05:12 PM
I use a Buffalo Arms platinum-lined musket nipple in my Parker Hale .451 Volunteer, always with black powder, and have had no issues whatsoever. Hundreds of shots. Caps ignite the charge every time, no hang fires or other delays. I suspect as you do, that the problems you are having are related to your use of Pyrodex.

Good Cheer
09-06-2016, 03:15 PM
I had hang fire/no fire this weekend with the aluminum bronze nipple. Little bitty hole. Had to unscrew and use the pan charger to trickle in some 4F.
Which was nothing compared to seating a card wad without the powder. Duuuh.
[smilie=w:

Got a mag spark sitting in the package for a year. Reckon maybe I should try it some day.

RBak
09-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Looks like I need to get out a bit more as I have no clue what a Mag spark Nipple is.
I've always seemed to have access to the Hot Shot, when i felt one needed replaced and they seemed to work just fine, so I never bothered to look for anything else.

I do have a couple guns that I replaced the Nipple for no.11's with a Musket Cap, but I've never used a Platinum, or a Mag spark....gotta try these too I reckon!

Russ...

Note; I just looked 'em up and they are for shot-gun primers, so I wouldn't be able to use one if I had it.