PDA

View Full Version : Harbor freight fix

salpal48
09-04-2016, 01:11 PM
Among My Other machines (Lortones , Sears, ETC). I have a Dual HF dual machine. . . This machine Runs the worst I have ever seen. So I decided to find out The reason. When it runs It runs Ok, when it does not It is very frustrating . Sloppy , noisey, and Bouncy. Most of the times, They are Just not Put together well. Just slapped together and packed. . I have noticed several things
Belt are always too Loose
Motors Not allined . with missing washers or bad screws
Poor alinement Between the Motor Pulley and drive wheel. Due to There plastic .. The belt must be running straight Between the 2 . Correct This will solve most of the problems
. Too much play on the shaft. . This is caused by poor quality Of all 4 retaining Clip.. The 5/16 clips are either not spring steel Of just made bad. Replacing Them is Cheap .
Just by Making these simple adjustments. The machine Tightened up.
Now if you have a machine That one shaft is Not Straight ( like Mine). . You have the Option In getting a Short piece Of 5/16 steel rod.
But all in all . with simple adjustment . It will turn Into a Decent runner.
They are what they are JUNK. . But It will be serviceable

OBIII
09-04-2016, 01:15 PM
Mine works. Been working for 3 years.
OB

Traffer
09-04-2016, 01:39 PM
I have been buying Harbor Freight tools for many years. The past 2 years or so have shown a shocking decline in quality. It covers most of their tools. What used to be quite acceptable stuff is now absolute ****. They look the same but are not built the same. I have a drill press from about 4 years ago. Acceptable...the new ones have smaller castings for the base and table. Motor looks cheaper, etc. The corded hand drills used to have adjustable triggers, no longer. The hand drills both corded and cordless (unless you take them apart and fix them) last about 3 uses before something goes wrong. I bought torque wrenches that would lock up intermittently. Almost caused me to snap off a couple of bolts. Took them apart deburred the inside, re-lubed, and now are good to go. I have gotten sick of taking things back. I bought a set of adjustable pliers that were so bad they wouldn't even close. Took them back and got better ones .... had to go through with a die grinder and polishing wheel for it to work properly. It is sad to see this going on. Since I cannot afford the "regular" quality tools from other places, I am forced to deal with this. I have had many more failed tools in the past year. Buyer beware!

mold maker
09-04-2016, 02:24 PM
As long as we are complacent, and continue to buy the lower quality, China will continue to cut corners. HF has learned to accept the lowest bidder.
I too have in the past gotten by with many HF offerings, but as I age, thankfully I find less need.

Walter Laich
09-04-2016, 07:21 PM
when I buy HF stuff I know what I'm getting--and am willing to live with it.

It seems quality has a direct correlation to $$

mdi
09-05-2016, 03:53 PM
I got a single drum HF tumbler in '91 and it ran until I "improved" it in 2009. I got the 2 drum HF unit in 2009 and have used it quite successfully since. I've made a few larger drums and really have no complaints. Mine is noisy if I don't use enough media...

Jes wondering, how many HF tumblers have you tested and or "modified"?

09-05-2016, 09:09 PM
Among My Other machines (Lortones , Sears, ETC). I have a Dual HF dual machine. . . This machine Runs the worst I have ever seen. So I decided to find out The reason. When it runs It runs Ok, when it does not It is very frustrating . Sloppy , noisey, and Bouncy. Most of the times, They are Just not Put together well. Just slapped together and packed. . I have noticed several things
Belt are always too Loose
Motors Not allined . with missing washers or bad screws
Poor alinement Between the Motor Pulley and drive wheel. Due to There plastic .. The belt must be running straight Between the 2 . Correct This will solve most of the problems
. Too much play on the shaft. . This is caused by poor quality Of all 4 retaining Clip.. The 5/16 clips are either not spring steel Of just made bad. Replacing Them is Cheap .
Just by Making these simple adjustments. The machine Tightened up.
Now if you have a machine That one shaft is Not Straight ( like Mine). . You have the Option In getting a Short piece Of 5/16 steel rod.
But all in all . with simple adjustment . It will turn Into a Decent runner.
They are what they are JUNK. . But It will be serviceable

So what machine are you talking about?

salpal48
09-05-2016, 09:33 PM
The original Post was concerning HF= harbor Freight dual Rotary, rock tumbler

salpal48
09-05-2016, 09:37 PM
This is The only Harbor Freight. But I have rebuilt several. Other. Sears, Lortone , star diamond . Highland Park.
Tumbler are One of My Pet Hobbies. . My Father was a Rock Tumbler and I learned His Rebuilding Methods In the past
I got a single drum HF tumbler in '91 and it ran until I "improved" it in 2009. I got the 2 drum HF unit in 2009 and have used it quite successfully since. I've made a few larger drums and really have no complaints. Mine is noisy if I don't use enough media...

Jes wondering, how many HF tumblers have you tested and or "modified"?

powwowell
09-06-2016, 06:51 AM
It seems to me that when purchasing Harbor Freight stuff, there are a few things to be aware of . . . 1) if it has an electrical cord and 2) the lower the price, the quicker it will fail.

If they have what you are looking for, you can get about the same quality stuff at Home Depot. Look for the lower priced Ryobi products. All made in China. All light weight.

mdi
09-06-2016, 10:58 AM
This is The only Harbor Freight. But I have rebuilt several. Other. Sears, Lortone , star diamond . Highland Park.
Tumbler are One of My Pet Hobbies. . My Father was a Rock Tumbler and I learned His Rebuilding Methods In the past Well, I see. Since you rebuild rock tumblers for a hobby, your post/information is credible. Thanks for the input...

country gent
09-06-2016, 11:23 AM
If its a tool Ill only use once in a great while or need to do a one time job I will look at harbor frieght, Unless it will involve broken knukles or injuries when it fails. Something used every 2-3 months Ill buy a bargin name brand, or cheaper tool. If its used every month to every week I buy the best I can afford. I havent been very impressed with Harbor Frieghts offering, Alot has sharp edges burrs that cut or are uncomfortable in your hand, are built light and cheaply, and poor quality. I perfer buying ( especially on something used every week ) a name brand and not having to rework or rebuild it every couple uses. When you stop to think about it an expensive tool that is used every week for 25-30 years is cheap per use compared to the cheap stuff out there.

mdi
09-07-2016, 12:20 PM
I worked as a Heavy Equipment Mechanic/Electrician for a large city utility, and was paid well enough to afford the best hand tools available. But I also kept some "sacrificial" tools on hand. If I was in a situation that I had to modify/cut/bend a tool, I'd use a tool from HF. I've had to modify tools to fit in a specific location or for a specific job, mebbe a one time deal, so instead of ruining a $50.00 wrench, I would chop up my HF $5.00 tool. There was no way would I grind 1/2" off my Snap-On impact socket!

Elkins45
09-07-2016, 12:50 PM
I think "sacrificial tools" is the best way to think of HF hand tools. I buy it them when I know I'm going to be abusing it somehow--or if my neighbor wants to borrow it :)

I needed a pair of large adjustable wrenches for a single job I don't expect to ever repeat: tightening a water line compression fitting. I used two of those 20% off coupons that come in the NRA magazine and bought them at HF. I probably saved $40 over buying a Craftsman (which is also probably being made in China now too.) They did the job and now I consider them my big expendable wrenches.

Hamish
09-07-2016, 12:52 PM
Tumbler are One of My Pet Hobbies. . My Father was a Rock Tumbler and I learned His Rebuilding Methods In the past

Papa was a rolling stone?

I hear what you're saying. I've got a Lortone that still going strong after 30 years. Harbour Freight anything with electrical motors I consider like I do oil filters, they're disposable right out of the package. In my experience it's a ****-shoot when you flip the switch the first time wether it will run. I do have one of the little 2 inch chop saws that has done fine.

Vegas Vince
09-07-2016, 04:03 PM
When I was young I bought the best tools, still have most. Now I am old I buy the HF junk & hope I last as long or longer!?!?

solderboy
09-08-2016, 12:15 AM
Seems the HF stuff I buy has been hit and miss.
Once in a while I get something I really like.

Iowa Fox
09-09-2016, 02:31 AM
When I was young I bought the best tools, still have most. Now I am old I buy the HF junk & hope I last as long or longer!?!?

Craftsman is gone and junk is all that is left. Actually the H F stuff seems to do not to bad for the price.