PDA

View Full Version : New (used) Savage 99F

Scharfschuetze
09-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Just found this yesterday at a friends gun store. It's a Savage 99F in 308 Winchester.

As far as I can tell by its serial number and barrel markings, it was made in 1959 at the Chikopee Falls factory in Massachusetts. I think that it was probably bought in Europe at a military rod and gun club due to the European sling swivels and the rail style mounting (no rings) for the Bushnell scope sight. Other than the recoil pad, the rifle is in about 95% condition for its bore, action, wood and metal, including the case hardening on the lever.

What sealed the deal on this one was the Redfield aperture sight under the scope. Once I test out and standardize on a load for the rifle with the scope, it will come off and the aperture sight will be the rifle's primary sight; as it is on all my lever guns.

nekshot
09-04-2016, 12:29 PM
That gun will do for sure! Good find, with that pistol grip I would be tempted to restock as a mannlicher. It is a itch that I have.

Artful
09-04-2016, 12:38 PM
Beauty - I'd bet you had to give some serious coin for that setup.

Scharfschuetze
09-04-2016, 09:34 PM
Beauty - I'd bet you had to give some serious coin for that setup.

Nope, the price was very reasonable... almost unbelievable.

It's going to the range on Tuesday for a quick test with GI ball and Lake City Match ammo.

dverna
09-04-2016, 10:28 PM
Always wanted one but too many are buggered up or priced too high. Very nice gun.

gnoahhh
09-04-2016, 11:02 PM
Nice rig. I would've been captivated by it also!

I too like those tang mounted receiver sights. Most of my old Savages sport tang sights, and I have one, a 99T, with a tang mounted receiver sight. It's nice having the aperture just that little bit closer to the eye.

Scharfschuetze
09-05-2016, 12:44 AM
I too like those tang mounted receiver sights. Most of my old Savages sport tang sights

When I was stationed at Fort Hood, Texas in the early 70s, my platoon sergeant had a Model 99 just like this one. He couldn't shoot it very well so I talked him into a Lyman sight just like this one. Needless to say, once we installed it, he never looked back. Great sight.

LIMPINGJ
09-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Very nice.