PDA

View Full Version : carry laws

Oklahoma Rebel
09-03-2016, 02:08 PM
What states allow either open carry without a license or Concealed carry without a license. Here in OK you have to have a license for either, and if you have been to a psychiatrist in the last 3 years you cannot get the license, they don't care if you were just stressed or feeling a little depressed, doesn't matter to the "know whats best for us" government. I was just wondering what states are still somewhat free! thanks a lot, Travis

NavyVet1959
09-03-2016, 02:17 PM
You might want to mention whether you are talking about handguns only or also including rifles.

Texas has allowed open carry of rifles and shotguns without any sort of license for a LONG time.

OK... Considering the fact that you posted this in the Wheelguns, Pistols and Handcannons subforum, I guess you aren't concerned with long guns.

Louisiana allows open carry of handguns without a license, IIRC.

Nevada also allows open carry without a license.

NavyVet1959
09-03-2016, 02:27 PM
http://www.opencarry.org/maps/map-open-carry-of-a-properly-holstered-loaded-handgun

http://www.opencarry.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/OC_Summary-2016.png

There seems to be some discrepancies in this map though.

ReloaderFred
09-03-2016, 03:31 PM
Some states allow local jurisdictions to pass local ordinances concerning firearms, so before you got into another state and start carrying openly, make sure you check the local laws of where you're going to be. Not all states have preemption laws........

On another note, there have been several robberies of open carry individuals recently, particularly in Arizona. It seems the bad guy notices someone open carrying, so he waits until the right moment and walks up and sticks a gun in the carrier's back and takes his gun. The whole idea of "concealed carry" is to not let anyone else know you've got it.......

I was in a Sportsman's Warehouse just the other day and a young guy (customer) was carrying what looked like a Glock in an Uncle Mike's nylon holster on his hip, with an outside snap strap, not a thumbbreak. The location of the gun, and type of holster, told me the guy wasn't really savvy about firearms. He was probably someone who goes to the range once in awhile and shoots paper targets and thinks he's good.

As I watched this guy, while I was perusing the powder choices, I noticed how easy it would be to take that individual's handgun from him. He wasn't cognizant of me watching him at all. After all, I'm just another old man to him, but I've been carrying a handgun all my adult life, was the rangemaster for a department with 600 sworn officers, and have arrested many, many felons and misdemeanants over the years at the point of a handgun, rifle and shotgun. I do know a little about firearms. I could have had his handgun in a quick second, and there would have been nothing he could have done about it, because I would have had my own handgun stuck hard into his back while I lifted his. Think about going to the restroom, for instance, or outside a business, walking to your car, or between parked cars......... How about between the parked cars, with one bad guy in front of you and one behind you, and they already know you're carrying a gun, so they're a couple steps ahead of you when it comes to mindset.

It's best to not advertise that you're carrying a gun, unless the situation dictates it. No sense in making yourself a target when you would otherwise be ignored......

Hope this helps.

Fred

dverna
09-03-2016, 03:38 PM
Good advice Fred

NavyVet1959
09-03-2016, 04:24 PM
Do we see a lot of LEOs attacked for the sole purpose of getting their firearms?

I think that for the most parts, the criminals are going to go for an easier target than someone who they absolutely *know* is carrying a firearm.

ReloaderFred
09-03-2016, 04:53 PM
That's why LEO's carry "retention" holsters, because bad guys often grab for the gun. Whether that's their original intent or not, isn't generally known, but I've had to fight to retain my holstered gun on more than one occasion.

We're not talking about LEO's in the context of the OP, anyway. He's asking about civilian carry, and that's a who other issue. Believe it or not, there are some really bad folks out there, and they'll kill you for the gun on your hip. When I was a rookie Deputy Sheriff, I responded to the killing of a 7-11 store clerk for the $17.00 in the till. It made me realize real quick how some people value life, or more importantly, how little value they place on other people's lives.

I'll say it again, don't make yourself a target, when you would have been otherwise ignored......

Hope this helps.

Fred

smokeywolf
09-03-2016, 05:00 PM
Do we see a lot of LEOs attacked for the sole purpose of getting their firearms?

I think that for the most parts, the criminals are going to go for an easier target than someone who they absolutely *know* is carrying a firearm.

Most criminals also know that assaulting one LEO is pretty much like assaulting all LEOs. They also know that if you assault a peace officer, a judge can't suspend your sentence or just give you probation when sentencing time rolls around.

I've also never known of any peace officer who carried openly when off duty.

tygar
09-03-2016, 05:00 PM
In Alaska you can carry anything, anyway, anywhere not specifically prohibited, no permit required.

To be honest, I don't remember seeing many people in the towns & cities open carrying. I always carry concealed. Like to surprise the bad guys.

Brad Cayton
09-03-2016, 05:49 PM
We've had open carry without a permit for years in WV and concealed with permit for 15 to 20 years or so. This year a law was passed to no longer require a permit to carry concealed. I've had a concealed permit since it became available and my wife and daughter both got their CWP this year as our permit is recognized in all our surrounding states but MD.

bedbugbilly
09-03-2016, 06:32 PM
Since I'm in Arizona part of the time and in Michigan part of the time - I'm permitted in both states. As you can see in NavyVet's map - both those states allow open carry without requiring a permit.

AZ changed their conceal carry law a few years ago. Now, anyone (except felons, minors, etc.) can conceal carry without a permit OR you can take the classes, quality and get a permit. The problem is that thee are some restrictions as far as carry in that state between those permitted and those not. Example, with my permit I can carry in to a bar BUT not consume alcohol while someone who has no permit may not enter a bar carrying. I don't have a problem with either as I don't believe guns belong in bars nor do they mix with alcohol . And, I really think it is a good idea for a person to take the CW class so they are aware of what the laws are. As far as open carry - no permit is needed.

In MI, you can open carry. For conceal, you need a CPL license - concealed pistol license. As an example of how things vary from state to state - in MI, you can carry in to an establishment that serves liquor IF the main purpose of the establishment is not the sale of liquor. The example given in the class I took was a place like "Applebee's". They serve liquor BUT their main purpose is the preparation of and the sale of food. On the reverse, you cannot carry in to the local bar where their main purpose is the sale of liquor, not food.

Unless I am on the farm in MI or out in the boonies in AZ such as on someone's private property, I always carry "concealed". I'm a believer in not "advertising" and as was pointed out in my AZ class - taught by LE Tactical individual and a former military Special Ops, open carry in plain view can have the reverse effect as it gives away a tactical advantage. In AZ, it is very common to see someone open carrying in a store, etc. and if they want to, that is their right to do so. I, myself, prefer not to.

I've also seen folks open carrying in a holster with no thumb-break or retention. To me, that is inviting trouble. I usually carry a S & W Model 36 snub and I carry on the belt with a shirt tail or coat tail covering it. Other times, I may carry my Combat Master Piece or my Smith Shield. I like thumb-break holsters but have recently gone to Fobus retention holsters that take deliberate effort to withdraw the weapon and I love them.

The important thing is to KNOW THE STATE'S LAWS and keep abreast of any changes that may be made. Unfortunately, many take the classes and then don't review the laws once in a while . . . and some take the classes and don't practice on a regular basis - all which could cause problems.

I'm not sure about Indiana - I have a cousin who lives in southern Indiana and if I remember correctly, he told me that state issues a carry permit that has an expiration date as well as a "life-time" permit? (for conceal carry) And from the map, I see they require a permit for open carry.

NavyVet1959
09-03-2016, 09:21 PM
That's why LEO's carry "retention" holsters, because bad guys often grab for the gun. Whether that's their original intent or not, isn't generally known, but I've had to fight to retain my holstered gun on more than one occasion.

We're not talking about LEO's in the context of the OP, anyway. He's asking about civilian carry, and that's a who other issue. Believe it or not, there are some really bad folks out there, and they'll kill you for the gun on your hip. When I was a rookie Deputy Sheriff, I responded to the killing of a 7-11 store clerk for the $17.00 in the till. It made me realize real quick how some people value life, or more importantly, how little value they place on other people's lives.

I'll say it again, don't make yourself a target, when you would have been otherwise ignored......

Hope this helps.

I'm not talking about a situation where a scuffle occurs and the person that is being arrested ends up grabbing the officer's gun. That's a heat of the moment type of thing and he could just as well be afraid that the officer is going to use it on him. I'm talking about an officer being deliberately attacked for the sold purpose of taking his firearm from him. I would think these things would make the news and quite frankly, I just don't hear of it happening.

I don't think that the retention type holsters make a difference though in this respect. The criminal would be wanting to disable the person carrying the handgun immediately so that they can take their weapon without having to fight for it.

Carry open, in a fanny pack, or while wearing a vest... They all indicate to someone in the know that you are carrying.

Personally, I like that Texas now allows the option to open carry, even if it is dependent upon you having a CHL. When it's 100F and 100% humidity, adding an extra garment layer for concealment sucks.

Now, there are some businesses that post a 30.07 sign saying that you cannot open carry, so I carry a vest with me, just in case I have to go to one of these businesses. For the most part though, I try to avoid these businesses. If I can't avoid them, then I put on the vest right before going in their door.

Stewbaby
09-03-2016, 09:37 PM
Mississippi is now 'Constitutional carry lite'. No permit for open or concealed as long as the concealed is in a holster (pocket holster ok) if on your person and you don't go into one of the 13 prohibited places (police stations, courtrooms, parades, sporting events, schools...). You can get a 'enhanced' CCW permit that lets you legally conceal carry everywhere but a police station, courtroom and prison.

Moonie
09-03-2016, 10:06 PM
North Carolina has always been open carry with no permit.

snoopy
09-03-2016, 11:41 PM
Well, I think the whole idea behind open carry law was to not make felons out of someone who's weapon became unconcealed. Doesn't bother me to see someone open carry, and I doubt a criminal would pick them for their first victim. I also think people get a false sense of security while carrying concealed. If your not training and practicing your draw, and other self defense methods, you are at risk, of having your weapon taken from you.

tja6435
09-04-2016, 12:02 PM
Kansas has concealed carry without a permit. Colorado allows concealed carry on your own property or within your car/truck without a permit. Concealed carry is the only way in my opinion. Open carry get the attention from the scumbags.

dubber123
09-04-2016, 07:36 PM
Vermont is concealed carry without a permit. Great for in state, but does not reciprocate to anyone else. I have carried for almost 30 years here without a permit.

Sweetpea
09-04-2016, 08:39 PM
Map shows that in Utah you need a permit to open carry.

There is no such thing, it just does not exist.

Open carry away, and no permit needed to cc in your home, your vehicle, or your place of business.

NavyVet1959
09-04-2016, 08:53 PM
Map shows that in Utah you need a permit to open carry.

There is no such thing, it just does not exist.

Open carry away, and no permit needed to cc in your home, your vehicle, or your place of business.

I've noticed a few other discrepancies as well.

Chapo
09-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Map is on point. Here in FL there is no open carry.

FergusonTO35
09-06-2016, 09:19 AM
We've always had open carry here in KY. We've had CCW licenses since the 90's and honor all other CCW licenses. Open carry is quite popular here nowadays, although I prefer to keep it under wraps.

bob208
09-06-2016, 05:26 PM
pa. no permit for open carry. permit for concealed. but for the open there is a lot of little things that can trip you up like in your car it is canceled. but for $20 for 5 years. no training required. very easy back round check as in if you can own a handgun you get the permit. I say just get the permit. the wife renewed hers a few months ago she was in and out in 20 minutes

Mytmousemalibu
09-06-2016, 08:17 PM
Yup, the state just to your north is A-Okay for any kind of carry you want now. I still have a permit so I have reciprocity with other states but it's not needed. I had a permit when they were still required although we've had open carry for a long time. I like the element of surprise so my gun stays concealed with 2 exceptions. I don't worry about it on my own property/residence and after our Friday night USPSA club match, we all flock to a local burger joint and most of us are open carrying there. Safest place in town while we're there! Any would be bad guy/idiot would be at a SEVERE disadvantage in there! The staff has even asked us to hang around when they had some possibly objectionable people in there.

Babbott213
09-06-2016, 09:11 PM
Alabama has been a open carry state since the 1800's. To CC you have to have a permit. This is for pistols only. Long Guns does not require a permit at all. In Florida you can only open carry a pistol if you are hunting or fishing or while traveling to or from fishing or hunting. And you must have a permit to conceal carry in Florida. If you're around Alabama, check out www.bamacarry.org in Florida, check out www.floridacarry.org

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leeggen
09-06-2016, 09:42 PM
Tn allows open carry without permit . you only need a permit to canceal carry. You can also open carry in you car, like just lay it on the floor just don't hide it like in the glove box or inside a console that has a lid.
CD

FergusonTO35
09-06-2016, 10:04 PM
Interestingly, a weapon is not considered concealed under our laws if it is placed in any factory installed storage compartment of an automobile, including the glove box and console. The weapon can be loaded and totally accessible, as long as it is a factory installed compartment it is not concealed and no permit needed.

dragon813gt
09-06-2016, 10:14 PM
As stated above PA is no permit to open carry. Except for Philadelphia in which you need a concealed permit to open carry. Yes, it's a stupid law. The bigger issue is all the local mayors ignoring preemption and imposing local restrictions. It will be worked out in the courts eventually. Bet seeing as how they've never had the power to impose their own restrictions it shouldn't have to go through the courts.

Only hiccup w/ open carry is that your vehicle is considered concealment. Permits are cheap and fast to get so most obtain one.

Babbott213
09-06-2016, 10:55 PM
As stated above PA is no permit to open carry. Except for Philadelphia in which you need a concealed permit to open carry. Yes, it's a stupid law. The bigger issue is all the local mayors ignoring preemption and imposing local restrictions. It will be worked out in the courts eventually. Bet seeing as how they've never had the power to impose their own restrictions it shouldn't have to go through the courts.

Only hiccup w/ open carry is that your vehicle is considered concealment. Permits are cheap and fast to get so most obtain one.

Here in Alabama, no city or county can make Ordnances on gun restrictions. That is left up to the state level. The past three years, us BamaCarry members have been responsible for hundreds of no gun signs coming down at city and county parks, buildings and events. We have had our state DA busy sending out removal letters. Many people do not realize that their rights have been being trampled on. Their just sheep that follows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwpercle
09-07-2016, 06:13 PM
You can still open carry in Louisiana for now. That sniper who killed 3 policemen and wounded 3 other policemen was open carrying a rifle, while dressed in tactical gear with a black face mask while moving down a large hwy. near the police headquarters. So politicians started yammering for regulations abolishing open carry........I don't think the killer would have obeyed that law...after all he was killing policemen, he didn't obey that law either ! Not much we can do, stupidity is alive and well and in office .
Gary

FergusonTO35
09-08-2016, 10:42 AM
I would think there would be an existing law against wearing a face mask in public, except for ceremonial purposes.

marlin39a
09-08-2016, 11:18 AM
Arizona open carry or concealed allowed without a permit. They still offer concealed carry permits which I have. No NICS check to CCW holders when purchasing a firearm.

NavyVet1959
09-08-2016, 03:42 PM
I would think there would be an existing law against wearing a face mask in public, except for ceremonial purposes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-mask_laws

Interestingly, many of the places where they have laws against wearing masks also have their police wear masks during certain operations.

Ohio Rusty
09-09-2016, 05:07 PM
I think that map is incorrect ... Ohio has open carry but you have to have a permit. I just renewed mine in the spring. Ohio should be in the green color. In Ohio .... yes you can open carry, but if someone calls the police in a panic because you have an open firearm, the police will arrest you and charge you with inducing panic .... which is confiscation of your firearm, court costs, ad nauseum ..... I just conceal it deep and carry it everywhere and keep my mouth shut about it ..... I refuse to be a soft target ..........
Ohio Rusty ><>